Buying old vinyl records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discogs is still a quality site, when buying just use respected sellers if you can and like ebay you have to watch out for the odd bootleg.
Used it for almost 15 years and only had one bad purchase which looking back was my fault, bought a rare a fuck tune in mint condition off a new seller for £25, it was a bootleg but a good one mind, looked and sounded spot on but as a bit of a tool for collecting 90's house/Italian dance it pissed me off.

Charity shops are a good source although some are getting wise to the value of rare records.

Got the Beatles white album from a charity shop a few years back.

Auctions are good too if you can spare the time.

Currently got a Portuguese pressing of Santana's Abraxas playing out on me Christmas present. :cool:

Bought it from the record shop up Houghton a couple of weeks back. Nee use to the OP I kna but I'll be viewing this thread with interest.

Been looking at Creation label Oasis on eBay today after watching Supersonic last night and it's rather pricey.

A mate's bought a few unwanted joblots off gumtree n that for next to nowt and found some right gems so I've been looking at that sorta thing as well. Had a 22 quid bid in for a load of old Kinks/Stones/Beatles 45s last week but it ended up going for £80!:eek::lol:
Theres a record shop in Houghton? Whats it called mate?

I was given a load of old 7" singles by me da a while back and was excited to find 2 beatles records on there - one of which is a first issue - looked on discogs and its going for £4 :lol::lol:

Currently got a Portuguese pressing of Santana's Abraxas playing out on me Christmas present. :cool:

Bought it from the record shop up Houghton a couple of weeks back. Nee use to the OP I kna but I'll be viewing this thread with interest.

Been looking at Creation label Oasis on eBay today after watching Supersonic last night and it's rather pricey.

A mate's bought a few unwanted joblots off gumtree n that for next to nowt and found some right gems so I've been looking at that sorta thing as well. Had a 22 quid bid in for a load of old Kinks/Stones/Beatles 45s last week but it ended up going for £80!:eek::lol:
I've got a first press Definitely Maybe which can go for around 80 quid on eBay like. What's the Story is closer to a ton.

And where is the Houghton record shop???

I always used eBay - there’s some decent shops on there.

Vinyltap1;
Stiffs123;
Pip1964;

I use eBay, had one dodgy experience 10 years or so - never got into Discogs though, other than for cataloguing

Most of mine get bought at Records fairs - and just generally being unable to walk past a record shop or stall without diving in

I think it’s worth investing in a decent Cleaning Machine if you’re unable to resist being any old shite - i’ve brought loads of stuff for buttons which at first glance look to be scratched and poppy back to life

I've got a first press Definitely Maybe which can go for around 80 quid on eBay like. What's the Story is closer to a ton.

And where is the Houghton record shop???
Ya kna where The Lambton Arms was? In one of the units there.

https://www.facebook.com/Just-the-Sound-119680058069486/

They've got all sorts like (and more on top apparently) and it's in nee order whatsoever but it's worth a flick through like. I spent about £40 without even trying the other week.

Def Maybe's what I was after like.

Theres a record shop in Houghton? Whats it called mate?

I was given a load of old 7" singles by me da a while back and was excited to find 2 beatles records on there - one of which is a first issue - looked on discogs and its going for £4 :lol::lol:
See above hew.

I use eBay, had one dodgy experience 10 years or so - never got into Discogs though, other than for cataloguing

Most of mine get bought at Records fairs - and just generally being unable to walk past a record shop or stall without diving in

I think it’s worth investing in a decent Cleaning Machine if you’re unable to resist being any old shite - i’ve brought loads of stuff for buttons which at first glance look to be scratched and poppy back to life
What would you suggest cleaning machine wise?

Dropped stuff off at a different charity shop yesterday and had a crate dig. Big Country’s debut, Best of Emmylou Harris and two Saint Saen Viennese orchestra jobbies for £3 total. All vinyl immaculate, covers still good.
4cd emi jazz compilation for 25p anarl, immaculate also.
Will visit again.
Just along the road the Oxfam Ona are charging £18 for old Santana albums that you’d see clogging up the racks back in the 70s in every record shop.

I’m starting to sound like auld name hack Ian penman on Twitter now ffs. Every day he lists his charity shop vinyl, cd, dvd, book bargains!

That’s what this thread should turn into. Post up your record fair/charity shop vinyl etc finds. Could be a goer.

I was quite enjoying having a flick through Discogs on me phone last night but the desktop version seems an absolute mess. Maybe I'm dein summit wrong.

Charity shops are starting to get wise now. I think the days of Ethel and Marjorie coming across something like Hunky Dory and selling it for 2 quid are long gone
A couple of the music biz wannabe kids at work reckon the cool kid equivalents of those who started off this vinyl craze five years back are now snapping up cassettes but charity shops haven’t got room to put them on the shelves so have Ben recycling them! They know kids in London who ask if the charity shop has got boxes of cassettes unshelled they can rummage around in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back