Buying old vinyl records

A couple of the music biz wannabe kids at work reckon the cool kid equivalents of those who started off this vinyl craze five years back are now snapping up cassettes but charity shops haven’t got room to put them on the shelves so have Ben recycling them! They know kids in London who ask if the charity shop has got boxes of cassettes unshelled they can rummage around in.
Me marra picked up an 8-track player the other week. :lol: I cannot for the life of me remember which album he said he'd bought for it.

He’s ahead of the curb cos those kids were saying 8 track will be next......they were joking....I think.
The curb ffs! Curve! Wtfs wrong with me today. Don’t answer that.

Dropped stuff off at a different charity shop yesterday and had a crate dig. Big Country’s debut, Best of Emmylou Harris and two Saint Saen Viennese orchestra jobbies for £3 total. All vinyl immaculate, covers still good.
4cd emi jazz compilation for 25p anarl, immaculate also.
Will visit again.
Just along the road the Oxfam Ona are charging £18 for old Santana albums that you’d see clogging up the racks back in the 70s in every record shop.

I’m starting to sound like auld name hack Ian penman on Twitter now ffs. Every day he lists his charity shop vinyl, cd, dvd, book bargains!

That’s what this thread should turn into. Post up your record fair/charity shop vinyl etc finds. Could be a goer.
Shop- Ona
Penman- penman

Sorted

Ya kna where The Lambton Arms was? In one of the units there.

https://www.facebook.com/Just-the-Sound-119680058069486/

They've got all sorts like (and more on top apparently) and it's in nee order whatsoever but it's worth a flick through like. I spent about £40 without even trying the other week.

Def Maybe's what I was after like.

See above hew.
Class. Will have a look in next week.

A couple of the music biz wannabe kids at work reckon the cool kid equivalents of those who started off this vinyl craze five years back are now snapping up cassettes but charity shops haven’t got room to put them on the shelves so have Ben recycling them! They know kids in London who ask if the charity shop has got boxes of cassettes unshelled they can rummage around in.
The apprentice at work got a cassette Walkman for Christmas like. I don't think i'll be following that particular craze any time soon.

Then she'll know those players are bad for old vinyl's health. ;)
I've traded mine up to a TEAC-300 after hearing about this.

Last edited:
Seeing as they are so many people on here who know their vinyl onions does anyone know of a company in the North East who can fix warped records.

I have one that had too much weight pressing against it at an angle and it is unplayable. There are companies down South who own the correct machine to repair them but I haven't checked anywhere else in a while.

I'm not interested in any DIY jobs which I know exist - from hot panes of glass to putting the record in the oven. :confused:

Seeing as they are so many people on here who know their vinyl onions does anyone know of a company in the North East who can fix warped records.

I have one that had too much weight pressing against it at an angle and it is unplayable. There are companies down South who own the correct machine to repair them but I haven't checked anywhere else in a while.

I'm not interested in any DIY jobs which I know exist - from hot panes of glass to putting the record in the oven. :confused:

you can buy clamps that might work - i've read that if you warm the record gently and then place it between 2 heavy books or something it should fix it - however try this very much at your own risk!!

you can buy clamps that might work - i've read that if you warm the record gently and then place it between 2 heavy books or something it should fix it - however try this very much at your own risk!!

I'd rather not take the chance. I'm not standing there like a plum with a hairdryer only to find I've made it worse or it didn't work.

I'd rather not take the chance. I'm not standing there like a plum with a hairdryer only to find I've made it worse or it didn't work.
Is it a particularly rare record? if not just buy another copy - it'll probably be cheaper than trying to get it fixed

I use eBay most of the time but discogs is a good site normally use it as a tool to see if I’m paying to much for a record when bidding on eBay. just payed 15 pound for the stone roses waterfall single. Which I didn’t think is to bad.

I've got a first press Definitely Maybe which can go for around 80 quid on eBay like. What's the Story is closer to a ton.

And where is the Houghton record shop???

Aye I’ve got those, too. Mid 90s Indie stuff is rocking horse shit rare (well, originals anyway) as there was zero demand at the time for vinyl.

Me marra picked up an 8-track player the other week. :lol: I cannot for the life of me remember which album he said he'd bought for it.

I've nearly bought 8-track players on a couple of occasions - they tend to be all-in-one units, if I could get something which would plug into my gear as a source I think I'd have one by now :)

and sadly/luckily I don't have the space for a reel-to-reel

Back