Buying a new bike.

My work has started cycle to work again this month, they’ve said £1.5k max but is this right, who decides?

I want 2 bikes for me and the wife and want a bit more.

Mine has always been a grand. I think it’s work that decides

most employers have opted to use the updated scheme with a firm with FCA exemption certificate allowing the value of the bike to be over the old £1k limit. I’d check as there’s no reason to the employer to hold the limit.

most employers have opted to use the updated scheme with a firm with FCA exemption certificate allowing the value of the bike to be over the old £1k limit. I’d check as there’s no reason to the employer to hold the limit.
That was ours but as our company ain’t going to exist in 12 months or so it’s pointless questioning them

My work has started cycle to work again this month, they’ve said £1.5k max but is this right, who decides?

I want 2 bikes for me and the wife and want a bit more.
Ours was always the £1k limit but the new rules have now allowed them to go up to £5k

Been out this morning for a couple of hours and got me thinking of getting a hydrid.
My MTB is 10 years old and in excellent nick. Alloy frame, disc brakes, and just changed the tyres to 1.75 schwalbes. Whole bike only weighs about 14 or 15kg.
Is there any point getting a hybrid/new bike?

Been out this morning for a couple of hours and got me thinking of getting a hydrid.
My MTB is 10 years old and in excellent nick. Alloy frame, disc brakes, and just changed the tyres to 1.75 schwalbes. Whole bike only weighs about 14 or 15kg.

I think you have answered your own question marra. Keep what you have imo. Unless you have cash to burn then fuck it why not. why don’t you keep the mountain bike and buy a proper road bike.

What do you have? A few choice upgrades can make it feel like a different bike.
You’ve already switched to thin tyres, on f you get a decent set of lightweight wheels, it makes a massive difference to how the bike accelerates and rolls. Then gearing could be upgraded to improve shifting and the range/ ratio of gears.

What do you have? A few choice upgrades can make it feel like a different bike.
You’ve already switched to thin tyres, on f you get a decent set of lightweight wheels, it makes a massive difference to how the bike accelerates and rolls. Then gearing could be upgraded to improve shifting and the range/ ratio of gears.
It's a Carrera Vulcan...nowt really special. I'm a fair weather rider ;)
The wheels are really light as it is mate. Like I say, the whole bike is really light for a 22" frame.
The gearing might need tweeking. It's 24 speed and I'm finding myself having to use the top gear a lot.
This one https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/carrera/vulcan-disc-spec-mens-2010

Last edited:
With mountain bikes what are you paying for? I've got a loan of a one and dont think I need to buy one as hopefully I can box again soon and the running is getting better so it's just for a bit of variety.

£2k

any other opinions.

presuming you’re ok with tubeless wheels ?
im an old dinosaur who likes my clinchers :oops:
not a criticism, and an 11-34 cassette will get you up owt. I’d personally want maybe 11-28 or 12-32 but it depends on things like what riding you will be doing etc...and might then mean changing a rear mech

Back