Buying a new bike.

Any for that price bracket! Most bikes in that price category are well made. Majority will be anyway.
Tried to buy the Bossnut from Go Outdoors, went through ok, then delivery was delayed, now it's cancelled as they don't have xl frame in stock.

Any reccomendations for mtb for £1000-1200?
No surprise about the delivery failure.

I suffer a bit from carpal tunnel from a wrist injury.
My hands go numb quite often when out on the bike. I've raised the handlebars and dropped the seat to put me in a more upright position but they still do it.
Any tips or advice?

Cylescheme, although I might see if I can cancel it until later in the year and buy a secondhand bike for 3-400

Ok. If it was the larger budget but cash, I was going to point you in the direction of some decent second hand bikes.

I suffer a bit from carpal tunnel from a wrist injury.
My hands go numb quite often when out on the bike. I've raised the handlebars and dropped the seat to put me in a more upright position but they still do it.
Any tips or advice?

Search for bar rotation. If you have rider bars, they have a sweep up and back. This forces your hands into a particular angle and one way to ease numbness is experimenting with differing rotations.

Ok. If it was the larger budget but cash, I was going to point you in the direction of some decent second hand bikes.

Search for bar rotation. If you have rider bars, they have a sweep up and back. This forces your hands into a particular angle and one way to ease numbness is experimenting with differing rotations.
I'd was tempted by a Mondraker Dune and a Yeti SB6 on Pinkbike but can't justify spending that kinda of cash at the moment given my health and everything else going on.

Went for a Saracen Mantra Trail and used the left over money from the voucher on saddle, pedals and some bits and pieces. Hopefully if next year goes well health wise I can justify a bigger purchase.

Cylescheme, although I might see if I can cancel it until later in the year and buy a secondhand bike for 3-400
I got the calibre two cubed for £400 from go outdoors a few weeks back think they still have L frames which cover 6ft plus (don’t do an xl) and it’s brilliant for the money.

not that it contributes to the discussion much, but Halfords are a f***ing joke. can't pre-order, can't go in store to browse, they can't provide stock updates and they refuse to hold onre bike until another becomes available even on the promise of pre-payment. useless.

I'd was tempted by a Mondraker Dune and a Yeti SB6 on Pinkbike but can't justify spending that kinda of cash at the moment given my health and everything else going on.

Went for a Saracen Mantra Trail and used the left over money from the voucher on saddle, pedals and some bits and pieces. Hopefully if next year goes well health wise I can justify a bigger purchase.

It can be quite addictive, buying new kit. Both bikes you mention are very good one lad I ride with has the Dune and another has two Yeti’s, well he did until he sold one of them!
not that it contributes to the discussion much, but Halfords are a f***ing joke. can't pre-order, can't go in store to browse, they can't provide stock updates and they refuse to hold onre bike until another becomes available even on the promise of pre-payment. useless.

In general, I try to avoid Halfords. Only go if I’m desperate for a part or tool on a Sunday, even then Evans in Durham opens on a Sunday and I’d rather drive the extra.

Last edited:
Looking for a hybrid bike any recommendations?
when you find one in stock, let me know what you got...

i'm keen on the Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Bike... there's a similar boardman at a similar price (which i think halfords might be able to source easier than a spesh) but i've a soft spot for the specialized brand.

Noticed Evans put a social media message out that bikes are now on a 7 day turnaround. I wouldn’t believe a word of that

Looking to buy a bike but I seem to fall either in the top end of 1 size or the bottom of another size, what would be the experts advice, or does it not make much difference?

Looking to buy a bike but I seem to fall either in the top end of 1 size or the bottom of another size, what would be the experts advice, or does it not make much difference?

My preference would be to get the size down as you can put the seat up and adjust/ change the stem for a slightly higher/ longer reach if necessary. The crank is most likely the same size across both size frames.

Smaller bike is a touch lighter and less chance of smashing your benkers off the top tube.

My preference would be to get the size down as you can put the seat up and adjust/ change the stem for a slightly higher/ longer reach if necessary. The crank is most likely the same size across both size frames.

Smaller bike is a touch lighter and less chance of smashing your benkers off the top tube.
:lol:

Back