Buying a 15-year-old car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mine is 14 years old and just passed its MOT this morning with 3 advisories. Doesn’t help but just thought I’d share.

I have a 14 year old peugeot and mine passed about a month ago with the same.

The engine is indestructible, the suspension and brakes don't seem to last too long but that might be my driving!

Timing belt went a couple of years ago, £700 to sort but it was due to be changed and I ignored it :)

Oh aye, this one was £600 ONO. I did a check online and it failed its MOT in December but passed a few days later, I guess having done its necessary repairs. I don't have thousands of pounds to spare but I'm getting a little tired of having to borrow cars. I'd rather just use public transport but it's shockingly bad in this area.
Take a punt at that price. The worst that can happen is you waste 600 notes.

I have a 14 year old peugeot and mine passed about a month ago with the same.

The engine is indestructible, the suspension and brakes don't seem to last too long but that might be my driving!

Timing belt went a couple of years ago, £700 to sort but it was due to be changed and I ignored it :)
Mine has just under 88k on the clock so I reckon the timing belt will be due to go in the next 10k. Hopefully have rid of it before then like.

Mine has just under 88k on the clock so I reckon the timing belt will be due to go in the next 10k. Hopefully have rid of it before then like.

I think mine was due a change at 80K, went just shy of 90K.

I said I would get shot if it went (it was £300 to change) but in the end I just thought bollocks, I know it's a canny car and the history, so I just bit the bullet :)

I think mine was due a change at 80K, went just shy of 90K.

I said I would get shot if it went (it was £300 to change) but in the end I just thought bollocks, I know it's a canny car and the history, so I just bit the bullet :)
I’ve got a couple of brake pipes need replacing and a valve stem (no idea what that is). Bloke reckons about £120 so I’ll be getting them done in the next couple of weeks. Might as well keep on top of the jobs while they aren’t too expensive to put right.

You don't see many cars over 10 years old on the roads compared to back in the day when only rich people were driving expensive German cars.
It depends where you live. Live in a poor area and you're likely to see more old cars. Yes some people splash money they don't have but there's still people buying old cars

It depends where you live. Live in a poor area and you're likely to see more old cars. Yes some people splash money they don't have but there's still people buying old cars
I live in Easington Lane marra. The posh end. :lol: I am hoping to get my first car next year. It will be a £500 banger and will probably be the oldest car on our estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back