Buying a 15-year-old car

I had a 206 Gti when they were newer and I hated it. Awful to sit in and drive on any journey over 5 minutes. Having said that If they’re cheap enough then you can’t complain too much about things like that.

At the £600 end of the market I’d say avoid a dealer. They’ll be looking to shift any old turd for a profit.

Look for a private car that’s been owned for a few year. If it looks and drives straight then you’re good to go.
4.2 supercharged V8.
Arguably the best one. The 5.0 can have timing chain issues

I had a 206 Gti when they were newer and I hated it. Awful to sit in and drive on any journey over 5 minutes. Having said that If they’re cheap enough then you can’t complain too much about things like that.

At the £600 end of the market I’d say avoid a dealer. They’ll be looking to shift any old turd for a profit.

Look for a private car that’s been owned for a few year. If it looks and drives straight then you’re good to go.
Went down to have a look at it this evening but the notice has gone from the window so I guess it's no longer for sale. Oh well!

Arguably the best one. The 5.0 can have timing chain issues
My mate who I bought it off is massively into cars and knows his shit. He only had it 3 years and only sold it because he bought a new shape one. It is class like, just a bastard to park and eats fuel like nowt but knew that anyway!

My mate who I bought it off is massively into cars and knows his shit. He only had it 3 years and only sold it because he bought a new shape one. It is class like, just a bastard to park and eats fuel like nowt but knew that anyway!
I find it easy to park, I assume it has a camera. Lucky to get 15mpg around the doors
Went down to have a look at it this evening but the notice has gone from the window so I guess it's no longer for sale. Oh well!
Keep looking, there’s loads of cars about for that money. Personally I’d avoid a fiesta at that age as they rust terribly

Last edited:
I find it easy to park, I assume it has a camera. Lucky to get 15mpg around the doors

Keep looking, there’s loads of cars about for that money. Personally I’d avoid a fiesta at that age as they rust terribly
The camera and the parking sensors don't work, gan get them fixed when I get it serviced in a couple months.

Do you know which ones have gone off? Often when 1 is going off it’ll beep when it shouldn’t so people turn the whole lot off

There are loads of older cars up here - not sure why although I suppose being the coldest and snowiest area of the UK possibly has something to do with it

the amount of 05 and 06 plate cars and jeeps that are still on the road is unreal - but most people seem to get by with winter tyres on old motors rather than risk writing off new cars in the winter weather

I'm carless and thinking about maybe getting one. I'm self-employed and not earning much so for now it'll have to be buying outright rather than PCP as I have previously done.

There's a 15-year-old Peugeot 206 for sale near me that looks like it's in good nick from the outside. What sort of things do I need to ask the owner? I've not bought a 15-year-old car before and I'm not a car person so I have no idea what sort of things will be likely to break before then. Cheers.
If I were you I'd go for a Vauxhall Astra 2006ish mate, they go forever

Back