Buying a 15-year-old car

What troubles are common with Peugeot cars?

Before now I've had a VW Polo, Fiat Punto, Mitsubishi Colt and VW Up. The one that caused the most problems was the Colt! £1200 repair bill just before I traded it in.
Everything. They are shit. Stay clear of French motors in general. I've had a Peugeot and a Citroen and both just gradually fell to bits.

I've got a 15 Yr old Honda civic which is fine. The body work is a mess (scratches, minor dents) but I don't care and that made it cheaper

Wife has a 12 year old French car and it's indestructible, never needed any major work doing to it.
They have just won some satisfaction poll ( can’t remember if it was Peugeot or Renault) and beat all the Asia and Jorman ones
My mate spent more on the car than I paid for it in the last year, had a new gearbox put in and everything, so far I've had to put a new alternator in. Was one of the few things he hadn't done.
I had a Land Rover like that. It was like triggers brush in the end

Last edited:
I've got a 15 Yr old Honda civic which is fine. The body work is a mess (scratches, minor dents) but I don't care and that made it cheaper

And Hondas are generally owened by old people, so theres a better chance that its been well looked after.

I'm carless and thinking about maybe getting one. I'm self-employed and not earning much so for now it'll have to be buying outright rather than PCP as I have previously done.

There's a 15-year-old Peugeot 206 for sale near me that looks like it's in good nick from the outside. What sort of things do I need to ask the owner? I've not bought a 15-year-old car before and I'm not a car person so I have no idea what sort of things will be likely to break before then. Cheers.
What are your requirements for said vehicle? Engine size? No of doors? Big boot? Encap rating?

I'd rather an efficient, small engine. The 206 has 5 doors but all my previous cars have been 3-door so that's no issue. Don't need a big boot. Don't even know what an Encap rating is.

Had a 2004 honda civic and a 1991 mazda in the last 4 years they cost me abut 200 a year with MOT issues so not too bad. So just find a good one with service history. Hopefully with proof of a timing belt/chain swap depending on what it has

Though emissions and rust are 2 other worries I constantly had

If I didn't get a company car I'd buy another one no problem

Last edited:
I'm carless and thinking about maybe getting one. I'm self-employed and not earning much so for now it'll have to be buying outright rather than PCP as I have previously done.

There's a 15-year-old Peugeot 206 for sale near me that looks like it's in good nick from the outside. What sort of things do I need to ask the owner? I've not bought a 15-year-old car before and I'm not a car person so I have no idea what sort of things will be likely to break before then. Cheers.
So you're paying hundreds not thousands ?
Canny cars ,take a chance ,plenty cheap bits ,petrol engine ? Even the cats are cheap
Just rust and rear axles etc to watch ,everything else is a fix
Nice proof of regular maintenance is a plus

Last edited:
So you're paying hundreds not thousands ?
Canny cars ,take a chance ,plenty cheap bits ,petrol engine ? Even the cats are cheap
Just rust and rear axles etc to watch ,everything else is a fix
Nice proof of regular maintenance is a plus
Oh aye, this one was £600 ONO. I did a check online and it failed its MOT in December but passed a few days later, I guess having done its necessary repairs. I don't have thousands of pounds to spare but I'm getting a little tired of having to borrow cars. I'd rather just use public transport but it's shockingly bad in this area.

Back