Buying a 15-year-old car

I'm carless and thinking about maybe getting one. I'm self-employed and not earning much so for now it'll have to be buying outright rather than PCP as I have previously done.

There's a 15-year-old Peugeot 206 for sale near me that looks like it's in good nick from the outside. What sort of things do I need to ask the owner? I've not bought a 15-year-old car before and I'm not a car person so I have no idea what sort of things will be likely to break before then. Cheers.

What troubles are common with Peugeot cars?

Before now I've had a VW Polo, Fiat Punto, Mitsubishi Colt and VW Up. The one that caused the most problems was the Colt! £1200 repair bill just before I traded it in.

theres the possibilty that a 206 will have been thrashed to fuck by some yoof. Having said that i`m currently running round in an 06 diesel Astra thats needed fuck all apart from an alternator and about 50 notes worth of bits (wiper blades bulbs and brake pads) and refuses to die. still tidy enough inside and does me for what i need

Just hope you don't crash one of them. It will hold shape like an empty can of coke being stepped on.

Mine is 14 years old and just passed its MOT this morning with 3 advisories. Doesn’t help but just thought I’d share.

Should have said just sold my sons 56 plate 207 for £450 with 71k not a thing wrong with it
Any old car easy checks are mot history checking for latest advisories, brake discs and pads, exhaust, tyres, cam belt change etc

Last edited:
I'm carless and thinking about maybe getting one. I'm self-employed and not earning much so for now it'll have to be buying outright rather than PCP as I have previously done.

There's a 15-year-old Peugeot 206 for sale near me that looks like it's in good nick from the outside. What sort of things do I need to ask the owner? I've not bought a 15-year-old car before and I'm not a car person so I have no idea what sort of things will be likely to break before then. Cheers.

Just got rid of the wife's 10 year old one, ran no probs for 9 year then it started to cost to maintain, a 15 year old one will either have had a lot of work done or will need doing

Just got rid of the wife's 10 year old one, ran no probs for 9 year then it started to cost to maintain, a 15 year old one will either have had a lot of work done or will need doing
My mate spent more on the car than I paid for it in the last year, had a new gearbox put in and everything, so far I've had to put a new alternator in. Was one of the few things he hadn't done.

Back