Bury

Top earners making the most of the gravy train until it comes off the rails. They couldn't give a fuck about football just a fast way to get mega rich
Precisely and when it all goes tits up they’ll walk away from the wreckage without a care in the world and move on to the next “business opportunity “

It's shit when you see the profit Spurs made last season, and their stadium cost 1 billion pounds apparently. Its all out of proportion.
spurs should be praised for spenign £1bn on infrastructure in avery deprived area of the UK..including upgraded public transport infrastructure.
We have had labour, tory and liberal polsitician over the past decade and none of the fuckers have pumped a billion into areas such as tottenham and strateford that were massively in need of it..it took football to do it.

I've seen Sunderland fans taking the piss out of Rochdale for selling cups with Rochdale v Sunderland on them. These clubs have to make money from any way they can, so don't get the piss taking myself.

Plenty of Dale fans taking the piss out of that too tbf.

The thing is with Bury this is about the 4th time they've been in this situation and the sympathy has to end at some point. At Dale we've always had to cut our cloth accordingly, we've brought in decent money for a club our size in recent years for transfer fees and sell on fees for the likes of Scott Hogan, Craig Dawson etc. Even this January we sold three first-team regulars for fees but that cash is never re-invested into the playing budget because without that money we probably wouldn't be able to operate at all.

As such, it's pretty tough to watch when a couple of miles down the road our neighbours are yet again spending money they can't afford on players that are far too good for their level and instead of the fans questioning where the money has come from they're just intent on 'enjoying the ride'. The EFL needs to come down harder on these teams IMO to prevent charlatan owners using football clubs and people's livelihoods like their own little plaything but too many Bury fans lapped up the rhetoric from the previous owner and were all too happy to let this happen to their club all over again.

Last edited:
Plenty of Dale fans taking the piss out of that too tbf.

The thing is with Bury this is about the 4th time they've been in this situation and the sympathy has to end at some point. At Dale we've always had to cut our cloth accordingly, we've brought in decent money for a club our size in recent years for transfer fees and sell on fees for the likes of Scott Hogan, Craig Dawson etc. Even this January we sold three first-team regulars for fees but that cash is never re-invested into the playing budget because without that money we probably wouldn't be able to operate at all.

As such, it's pretty tough to watch when a couple of miles down the road our neighbours are yet again spending money they can't afford on players that are far too good for their level and instead of the fans questioning where the money has come from they're just intent on 'enjoying the ride'. The EFL needs to come down harder on these teams IMO to prevent charlatan owners using football clubs and people's livelihoods like their own little plaything but too many Bury fans lapped up the rhetoric from the previous owner and were all too happy to let this happen to their club all over again.
Unfortunately at most (fortunately not all) clubs unless the fans are also directors then they have absolutely no say on how the club is run. On that basis I'll always have sympathy for genuine fans when their clubs are up shit creek and it's not of their (fans) making.

They had no choice but 'to let this happen to their club all over again'.

Last edited:
Unfortunately at most (fortunately not all) clubs unless the fans are also directors then they have absolutely no say on how the club is run. On that basis I'll always have sympathy for genuine fans when their clubs are up shit creek and it's not of their (fans) making.

They had no choice but 'to let this happen to their club all over again'.

Agree to disagree. Questions were never asked. Fans Forums were arranged and instead of actually questioning where the money came from or what the motives of Day were, they were all too keen to lap up the chairman's promises of new a 20,000 capacity stadium and Championship football etc. There have been CCJs, WUPs and when David Conn's damning article in the Guardian questioned Day far too many of them were too happy to dismiss it as claptrap instead of actually trying to do anything at all to save their club from extravagant overspending. What does the Supporters Trust exist for if not to question things like that?

Agree to disagree. Questions were never asked. Fans Forums were arranged and instead of actually questioning where the money came from or what the motives of Day were, they were all too keen to lap up the chairman's promises of new a 20,000 capacity stadium and Championship football etc. There have been CCJs, WUPs and when David Conn's damning article in the Guardian questioned Day far too many of them were too happy to dismiss it as claptrap instead of actually trying to do anything at all to save their club from extravagant overspending. What does the Supporters Trust exist for if not to question things like that?
It's a business (unfortunately) and the owners can do what the fuck they like and there is nowt the supporters can do about. I suppose you think all the supporters on here should be shot with shit for letting Ellis Short nearly bankrupt Sunderland like he did.

It's a business man (unfortunately) and the owners can do what the fuck they like and there is nowt the supporters can do about. I suppose you think all the supporters on here should be shot with shit for letting Ellis Short nearly bankrupt Sunderland like he did.

It's an attitude thing though. I won't pretend I know as much about the situation at Sunderland as I do at Bury, but I don't remember Sunderland fans ever being quite so enthusiastic about Short during any part of his tenure as Bury fans were about Day.

I find it interesting that as a fan of a protest club that you don't see the value in supporter protests!

It's an attitude thing though. I won't pretend I know as much about the situation at Sunderland as I do at Bury, but I don't remember Sunderland fans ever being quite so enthusiastic about Short during any part of his tenure as Bury fans were about Day.

I find it interesting that as a fan of a protest club that you don't see the value in supporter protests!
It's not that I don't see the value of it, it's that I see the futility of it. I gave up hours of my time working tirelessly for Shareholders United and IMUSA, handing out leaflets in my drinking time pre-match to try and get enough supporters to buy shares in Man Utd to stop Glazer.
They can influence nothing in a privately owned business other then by staying away and pushing their club even closer to bankruptcy.

It's not that I don't see the value of it, it's that I see the futility of it. I gave up hours of my time working tirelessly for Shareholders United and IMUSA, handing out leaflets in my drinking time pre-match to try and get enough supporters to buy shares in Man Utd to stop Glazer.
They can influence nothing in a privately owned business other then by staying away and pushing their club even closer to bankruptcy.

I think there's a middle ground to be found where they could have at least questioned him at Fans Forums, asked the Trust to dig for more information on where the money was coming from etc. I'm not saying that it would have changed anything, but I struggle to feel sympathy for them when they never even tried, particularly given their history and given that plenty of them have spent the last few years rubbing in how much money they have been spending and how much they are 'enjoying the ride!'

EDIT: I must add - I know for a fact similar kinds of characters have attempted to get involved at Dale only to be forced away by the Trust or even by Dale fans hiring private investigators in the past. Obviously there are differences in the situations (Dale have never been as vulnerable financially as Bury were when Day first came in) but there is a marked difference in the attitude of the supporters IMO.

Last edited:
It’s true to say that Bury have been here before, quite a few times in fact, and it appears they haven’t learnt. I follow Carlisle aswell as Sunderland and for the last few years they’ve tried to balance the books as best they can after a year of moderately high spending, which was a gamble which didn’t quite pay off. Whilst Carlisle are living within their means and struggling to attract players as a result, they’re competing against the likes of Bury, Mansfield and Notts County who are spending extreme amounts of money which they can’t afford. Then when things go tits up they’re expecting sympathy - sorry but you reap what you sew I’m afraid. The sooner football clubs (or owners and the authorities) start living within their means the better.

They always did, but clubs like Bury in the past would fulfil a role of nurturing players who didn’t immediately make top grade and get good transfer fees they could then live on. Nowadays premier league playing staffs are vast, all players are mopped up
That’s true, but 30 years ago more people supported their local teams, now due to saturation on Sky there are a lot more kids support the top 4 teams.

You even have some bellends who claim to be Barca/ Madrid/ Juventus fans FFS!

Back