Bury

Harbour Boy

Winger
looks like they’re going the journey.

In a load of debt and staff haven’t been paid. Players have agreed to play until the end of the season

I remember speaking to a Bury fan a few years ago the season they got promoted from League Two. They said at the time they knew the finances were uncertain and they were racking up debt while splashing the cash, so they were just enjoying it while they could before it all went pop.

They’ve spent way over budget over the last year/18 months. Having players like Jermaine Beckford and Nicky Maynard on the bench won’t come cheap whilst several others are on big money for league 2, they upped Nicky Adams’s wages who was already on a decent whack at Carlisle. Just another club living way beyond their means chasing the dream.

Shame. Fond memories of the night we got promoted to the Premiership in 1999 by winning 5–2 away at Bury.

I might be wrong but I remember it being St Patricks Day. I was in Camden Town and the match was on in every pub on the tv but it seemed like whichever pub we went in to I was the only one there watching the match and everyone else was just celebrating St Paddy's Day.

Some time after we got promoted I remember talk of Bury going into administration and selling its own seats to existing fans to avoid that.

As part of the anti-administration scheme, I know I bought a seat in the away end and had it inscribed for my Dad who had since passed away. I'm sure a lot of other Sunderland fans bought seats in the Bury away end due to our promotion there. I think it was advertised on RTG as an effort to save Bury from administration back in those days. And Bury were very grateful to SAFC as a club for raising money for them at the time.

My dad was a very down to earth miner who never missed a SAFC match whether home or away. He died at the age of just 39 and was a 1973 Wembley veteran who arguably saw much better times watching the lads than me. I was never sure if buying that seat in the away end at Bury for him was the right thing to do. But I hope they survive this because they are a proper football club and a lot of us have fond memories there.

Meanwhile the premier league clubs just get richer and richer, it’s sickening. Birmingham recently been docked points for running up big losses, Villa and Derby are going to be in big trouble if they don’t go up this season after pushing the boat out over the last two seasons without success so far. You could virtually go through the full football league picking out teams who are or in are close to financial oblivion.

Back