Bury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shame. Fond memories of the night we got promoted to the Premiership in 1999 by winning 5–2 away at Bury.

I might be wrong but I remember it being St Patricks Day. I was in Camden Town and the match was on in every pub on the tv but it seemed like whichever pub we went in to I was the only one there watching the match and everyone else was just celebrating St Paddy's Day.

Some time after we got promoted I remember talk of Bury going into administration and selling its own seats to existing fans to avoid that.

As part of the anti-administration scheme, I know I bought a seat in the away end and had it inscribed for my Dad who had since passed away. I'm sure a lot of other Sunderland fans bought seats in the Bury away end due to our promotion there. I think it was advertised on RTG as an effort to save Bury from administration back in those days. And Bury were very grateful to SAFC as a club for raising money for them at the time.

My dad was a very down to earth miner who never missed a SAFC match whether home or away. He died at the age of just 39 and was a 1973 Wembley veteran who arguably saw much better times watching the lads than me. I was never sure if buying that seat in the away end at Bury for him was the right thing to do. But I hope they survive this because they are a proper football club and a lot of us have fond memories there.
Good post , 49 my dad as well , liked a pint and his no6 , not sure if they both contributed like , continental shifts and breathing all sorts of chemical shite where he worked . Everybody on his shift died prematurely poor buggers.

It'll just get worse as the top teams in the PL get bigger. Fulham will be in bother if their owner decides the novelty has worn off. Boro would probably struggle without Gibson. Villa and Derby will struggle if they are not promoted. The media £ has made all clubs chase the 'short term' dream. How could a club like Bournmouth survive without it ? It's frightening

Think it's only a matter of time before the rules are changed allowing the big clubs to buy the small clubs and run them as academy/reserve teams.
Spain, Italy, Netherlands etc all have their biggest clubs playing in the rest of the pyramid and I think we'll follow suit.
Will help save some of the smaller clubs but at the cost of their identity.

There still has to be an element of responsibility by all club owners and the authorities to live within their means though. If more money was filtered down from the PL to the FL it would just be spent on higher wages in no time at all, to suggest it would be used to balance the books is pretty naive!

I've seen Sunderland fans taking the piss out of Rochdale for selling cups with Rochdale v Sunderland on them. These clubs have to make money from any way they can, so don't get the piss taking myself.
I agree with the sentiment but haway that's canny funny
where can I buy one?

It'll just get worse as the top teams in the PL get bigger. Fulham will be in bother if their owner decides the novelty has worn off. Boro would probably struggle without Gibson. Villa and Derby will struggle if they are not promoted. The media £ has made all clubs chase the 'short term' dream. How could a club like Bournmouth survive without it ? It's frightening
borunemouth has a good manager and weathy owwer. boro have the taxmanhelping them out.

Meanwhile the premier league clubs just get richer and richer, it’s sickening. Birmingham recently been docked points for running up big losses, Villa and Derby are going to be in big trouble if they don’t go up this season after pushing the boat out over the last two seasons without success so far. You could virtually go through the full football league picking out teams who are or in are close to financial oblivion.

Aye but the mags have it worse. Divvent understand etc.

St Patrick's day might be too early for promotion. Maybe St George's day?

You’re probably right. I just remember it all being a bit surreal. Pubs were absolutely heaving, people were in costumes and I was the only one trying to dodge the heads in the crowd to follow the match on the telly.

Meanwhile the premier league clubs just get richer and richer, it’s sickening. Birmingham recently been docked points for running up big losses, Villa and Derby are going to be in big trouble if they don’t go up this season after pushing the boat out over the last two seasons without success so far. You could virtually go through the full football league picking out teams who are or in are close to financial oblivion.
Or more and more in debt

If there was an agents' levy and it was paid to clubs lower down the scale football would be better
I'd wager any extra money coming in would be pissed away chasing the end of the rainbow and the debts would be even larger

Last edited:
And when we lose a game or play badly the first response on here is to spend more money.

We are in a much better position than we were now the debt has gone but the running costs are still absolutely massive. Donald said he’s expecting us to lose about £10 million this year iirc.
Absolutely. How many of these clubs going to the wall aren't a shit show? They get the same money as everyone else but invest it poorly

and Pogba wants 500k a week, says it all.
No it doesn't

Meantime on another thread it is revealed that premier league clubs paid over 260 million to agents in the year ending January 2019.

Meantime on another thread it is revealed that premier league clubs paid over 260 million to agents in the year ending January 2019.
Top earners making the most of the gravy train until it comes off the rails. They couldn't give a fuck about football just a fast way to get mega rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back