Burstow<McCoist

McCoist for us was before my time so I’ve only read bits and pieces and seen bare stats. Neither of which often reflect how good, or poor a footballer may be. Mark Hately on a recent Undr the Cosh podcast talks in glowing terms about how good a striker McCoist was at Rangers. This from a guy who’d played and scored in Milan and Monaco. And with a clatter of England caps and all so I’d be inclined to take his word on it. Burstow may well come good elsewhere. With age, experience, a different manager and team playing more to his strengths. Who knows. He hasn’t shown a great deal with us though to suggest this.
He has strengths?

I was slightly too young to know the reasons he went, other than my dad said he just wasn't very good for us. Always assumed that he was just another Keiron Brady or Martin Smith, in that he had the potential but just squandered the chances when given.

The big difference was he along with Venison were the kids in a team loaded with experience. You could carry the kids through their inconsistencies and keep the expectations low. He would have come good - don’t forget we were in the premiership equivalent- Rangers was step down in standard.
Here and now we are looking at kids to be game changers week in week out. It’s not going to happen and the expectations will ruin a few careers

Semenyo who looked a right waste of a shirt for us is currently playing very well in the Premier league.
Semenyo looked like he had potential in some of his cameos though.

Edit: I know he didn't show much but he didn't get much of a chance, in a god awful team. I distinctly remember him coming off the bench one night and playing off the left wing. Turned his man inside out and twatted it off the post from 25 yards. There was clearly something there if you were paying any attention.

Last edited:
I have been struggling to think of many who have gone on to have a great career elsewhere. There are obvious ones like Evans, Downing, Rose, Wellbeck etc, but all of those we rated while they were here and it was clear we had the benefit of a quality player for a season or two.

They were all loanees as well.
In my supporting career non loanees who went on to have a great career....Tueart, Watson, Venison, Bracewell, Chris Turner, Bridges, Mignolet, Henderson, Pickford
Off the top of my head - it’s not a lot in 55 years.
Colin Todd was just before me
Not sure you can claim SKP and Marco had great careers when they left? Their peak was with us

Both him & Hemir look like they are intimidated to easily. Why can’t they see that they are on last chance saloon & put a bit more aggression & willingness into it. They are on a football pitch with other pros FFS, what’s the worse that can happen? It’s not like they are in a dodgy council estate local match.
Did you ever watch Richard Ord when he was making the break through? A tall skinny youth and he started getting a bit of a hard time in one game from an opposition forward. He started to fade from the game and looked very nervous. There was a break in play and Bally went over to him, put his arm round him and give him a talking to. For the rest of the game and the following months you could see Ball by his side nurturing him. One corner someone was giving Ord a bit of elbow and you could see Bally encouraging him to give some back, telling him to get stuck in. Ord went from strength to strength, on the basis of a hard as nails pro coaching him through his early games.

Burstow and Hemir have nobody.

Semenyo looked like he had potential in some of his cameos though.

Edit: I know he didn't show much but he didn't get much of a chance, in a god awful team. I distinctly remember him coming off the bench one night and playing off the left wing. Turned his man inside out and twatted it off the post from 25 yards. There was clearly something there if you were paying any attention.
I agree it was a poor side but the fact he didnt get much gametime in that poor team would indicate to me that he wasnt doing it in training either through not being ready in his developement or attitude, i cant remember the incident you mention perhaps i wasnt paying attention and fell asleep.

Back