Burstow<McCoist

McCoist was making the right passes ( lay offs ) but the team around him were a few seconds behind in thought. Certainly 81-82. He was also making the right runs , but the midfield at the time weren’t spotting it. His football brain was ahead of those around him. If he had played alongside Worthington we would have had a great strike force ( in my opinion ). Add Bracewell to that

I'd be surprised tbh, he's looked out of his depth here and most top clubs hoover up young talent and hope they either progress or sell on at a profit.

Can't write anyone off completely mind but from what I've seen I'd be surprised if Burstow makes it in the Championship ever nevermind above. I've seen nothing to suggest he has anything that could hang at that level or above - no pace, no skill, no drive, positionally bad, doesn't have a great footballing iq, doesn't know what position he is.

I mean some of that could be on us but most of it is on him, he's shown nothing.

I was slightly too young to know the reasons he went, other than my dad said he just wasn't very good for us. Always assumed that he was just another Keiron Brady or Martin Smith, in that he had the potential but just squandered the chances when given.
Kieron Brady gave the greatest individual performance I have ever seen from anybody in a sunderland shirt at home to West Ham. The ball seemed stuck to his foot, their right back was absolutely tortured all game. I think Brady would have been a world beater if he hadn’t developed some kind of illness which finished him. I don’t think he squandered his talent from what I remember

McCoist for us was before my time so I’ve only read bits and pieces and seen bare stats. Neither of which often reflect how good, or poor a footballer may be. Mark Hately on a recent Undr the Cosh podcast talks in glowing terms about how good a striker McCoist was at Rangers. This from a guy who’d played and scored in Milan and Monaco. And with a clatter of England caps and all so I’d be inclined to take his word on it. Burstow may well come good elsewhere. With age, experience, a different manager and team playing more to his strengths. Who knows. He hasn’t shown a great deal with us though to suggest this.

9 goals in 56 games at 19 year old. Not prolific but certainly not disgraceful. Burstow has 8 goals in 47 games in senior football at 20 year old. Just for comparison.

Most of our team are 5-6 years away from reaching their peak so in theory Burstow and a few others who look a bit rubbish could come good. He was highly rated before he signed, I think linked with AC Milan too. Would be a big surprise based on his performances for us but he still has plenty of time to improve.

9 goals in 56 games at 19 year old. Not prolific but certainly not disgraceful. Burstow has 8 goals in 47 games in senior football at 20 year old. Just for comparison.
Burstows were at a lower level though, mostly what would have been then the third division. Whereas McCoist scored 9 in what would be the Premier League now and you've also forgot his 27 goals at St Johnstone so he was well ahead of Burstow in his development, by a pretty fair way.

McCoist was a young raw talent and we threw him into what was an almost relegation battle. I recall at the time me and me mates all agreed that we could have ruined his career before it got started.

It's hard to tell if Burstow has much ability as he fails to get involved at all. It's literally like playing with ten men when he is in our team. So in that respect you would think that that is something he could learn with experience.

He's been abysmal for us as he just doesn't get involved

Semenyo who looked a right waste of a shirt for us is currently playing very well in the Premier league.
The very large elephant in the room is the willingness of SAFC fans to write players off when they are aged 20 or less.

Semenyo had just turned 20 when he signed for us. Other than having pace, you're right, he looked nowhere near the finished article and struggled at this level. Fast forward 4 years and he's an accomplished PL centre-forward.

Burstow had also just turned 20 when he signed for us. I'm not quite sure on the assets he has to become a regular fixture in the PL however, I'm in no doubt that Chelsea scouts are far more capable at spotting promising players than I am. There's every chance, with another couple of years at this level, that he'll mature into a solid forward in the same way Semenyo has done so. Burstow was never going to be an Amad, a Stewart or even a Simms in his first full season at this level.

Along similar lines, there's a sizeable number who are having a pop at Ba. He was 19 when he signed for us and won't be 21 until the summer. He's got 60+ appearances. He's nowhere near the finished article but a segment of our fans have written him off. Nailed on, he'll spend the majority of his career in a top European league.

Jobe is the ultimate example. Again, there's too many fans, no doubt frustrated with the way the season has gone, who are writing him off. No-one knows where his best position is, not even him. HE'S EIGHTEEN AND IN HIS IN FIRST FULL SEASON FFS!!!!! He's got years of development ahead of him.

I could go on, Mayenda (18), Hemir, Seelt, Hjelde, Mundle all 20. Aouchiche and Pembele both 21. They'll all become better players than they currently are. The obvious issue, is that we field far too many of them at once, expecting it to click and become frustrated when it doesn't. A look around the other top two leagues in Europe reveals we're the youngest average squad by over an entire year. No club with an average age anywhere near ours is having notable success.
FWIW, this isn't a KS defence. He's overloaded the squad with bairns who MAY become real players.
The balance needs addressed in the summer.

When I was a kid I struggled to get my head around the fact that we had McCoist, but let him go and he obviously went on to do great things for Rangers.

We've seen it a few times now, where someone who looks like a donkey for us, then goes on to become a worldie, and I would wonder if someone like Burstow might fall into that? He clearly has something both Speakman and Chelsea have seen, that isn't translating, and I wonder if he's just at the wrong stage of his career.

Thoughts?

Any other ones from this crop or ones recently departed that will go on to a stellar career? My money is on Benette or Michut.
Never thought McCoist was a donkey to be honest I was gutted he left…Poor example Burstow is terrible never is the same sentence as McCoist

He’s one of the very, very few young players that have been poor at Sunderland and actually gone on to not be poor elsewhere.

Since the turn of the century, our recruitment has been littered with young and so called exciting players with potential who have been really poor.
I have been struggling to think of many who have gone on to have a great career elsewhere. There are obvious ones like Evans, Downing, Rose, Wellbeck etc, but all of those we rated while they were here and it was clear we had the benefit of a quality player for a season or two.

I have been struggling to think of many who have gone on to have a great career elsewhere. There are obvious ones like Evans, Downing, Rose, Wellbeck etc, but all of those we rated while they were here and it was clear we had the benefit of a quality player for a season or two.

Aye, some decent young loanees. But aa for young players we’ve signed, it’s fairly desperate. There’s always plenty talk about how we’ve recruited expensive older lads who haven’t performed but there have been stockpiles of young crap players as well (some for sizeable fees!)

Back