Burstow<McCoist

Rambo Pumpkins

Full Back
When I was a kid I struggled to get my head around the fact that we had McCoist, but let him go and he obviously went on to do great things for Rangers.

We've seen it a few times now, where someone who looks like a donkey for us, then goes on to become a worldie, and I would wonder if someone like Burstow might fall into that? He clearly has something both Speakman and Chelsea have seen, that isn't translating, and I wonder if he's just at the wrong stage of his career.

Thoughts?

Any other ones from this crop or ones recently departed that will go on to a stellar career? My money is on Benette or Michut.

When I was a kid I struggled to get my head around the fact that we had McCoist, but let him go and he obviously went on to do great things for Rangers.

We've seen it a few times now, where someone who looks like a donkey for us, then goes on to become a worldie, and I would wonder if someone like Burstow might fall into that? He clearly has something both Speakman and Chelsea have seen, that isn't translating, and I wonder if he's just at the wrong stage of his career.

Thoughts?

Any other ones from this crop or ones recently departed that will go on to a stellar career? My money is on Benette or Michut.

You lost me when you were comparing him to McCoist at the same age.
McCoist was more like Rigg, raw energy, loads of natural ability… it was clear he was going to be a great player.
Yes he resembled some of our better young players in that he was inconsistent and blew hot and cold.
But anyone who expects any different from teenagers just doesn’t understand how the majority of top players evolve.

Durban never wanted rid of McCoist and neither did the fans. That was a financial decision, to much money to turn down for a young kid… May well sound familiar in a couple of months

Thoughts?

McCoist is better than Burstow now!

McCoist was more like Rigg, raw energy, loads of natural ability… it was clear he was going to be a great player.
Yes he resembled some of our better young players in that he was inconsistent and blew hot and cold.
But anyone who expects any different from teenagers just doesn’t understand how the majority of top players evolve.

Durban never wanted rid of McCoist and neither did the fans. That was a financial decision, to much money to turn down for a young kid… May well sound familiar in a couple of months
I was slightly too young to know the reasons he went, other than my dad said he just wasn't very good for us. Always assumed that he was just another Keiron Brady or Martin Smith, in that he had the potential but just squandered the chances when given.

Burstow lacks the desire, he seems too nice and gentle. I'd love to see him really fired up and angry on the pitch.

For me Ally get's raw press from a few fans.
He was with us from the age of 18-20, from 1981-1983 playing Division 1 football. Scored about 10 goals in a struggling team without ever being a regular, in my view he certainly wasn't a flop here.
Apparently manager Alan Durban called him into his office in summer 1983 to tell him of Glasgow Rangers interest and that he thought he should move there as Durban didn't think he'd be manager at Sunderland for much longer what with his ongoing differences of opinions with Chairman Tom Cowie.

Last edited:
For me Ally get's raw press from a few fans.
He was with us from the age of 18-20, from 1981-1983 playing Division 1 football. Scored about 10 goals in a struggling team without ever being a regular, in my view he certainly wasn't a flop here.
Apparently manager Alan Durban called him into his office in summer 1983 to tell him of Glasgow Rangers interest and that he thought he should move there as Durban didn't think he'd be manager at Sunderland for much longer what with his ongoing differences of opinions with Chairman Tom Cowie.
Agree with all that. Is that Mr Pitt from Seinfeld in your profile pic?

Thoughts?

ally was no donkey when he did play for us.....you could see he had class but sadly the rest around him weren't up to snuff. Brustow is nee ally McCoist

Burstow reminds me more of a Jon Stead or an Ashley Fletcher type of forward. Fragile confidence and worries about missing too much. McCoist was a proper striker. If he missed a sitter he'd give himself a pat on the back for getting in the right position.

Too much money? Less than we paid for him

Semenyo who looked a right waste of a shirt for us is currently playing very well in the Premier league.

He’s one of the very, very few young players that have been poor at Sunderland and actually gone on to not be poor elsewhere.

Since the turn of the century, our recruitment has been littered with young and so called exciting players with potential who have been really poor.

Back