Budapest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great city.
You can go down the Danube by local ferry for next to nothing, instead of paying for the touristy river cruise.

As well as previously mentioned things to do, if it interests you, then go to (I think) Celeritas, look on Tripadvisor. From memory, you get to shoot 50 bullets for about 45Euros from a 22 handgun, then the Magnum 357 up to an AK47.
Loads of other options like Guns of WW2 etc.
Probably the one and only time in my life I will ever fire a gun, but worth it to see what it's like.
I like Budapest much more than, say Prague, or even more so Vienna, as it is a working city and not like being in an immaculate touristy museum.

As mentioned, public transport good, the metro goes directly to the airport and I think they sell 24 and 72 hour passes valid from when you first use it.

As mentioned, public transport good, the metro goes directly to the airport and I think they sell 24 and 72 hour passes valid from when you first use it.
While I am on, there is an open air museum in the burbs where they carted off all the Communist statues, so you have marching workers in heroic pose with banners aflutter, a few Lenin's etc.
As well, there is a small museum adjoining it with proganda film on how to inform on your neighbours etc. Interesting stuff.

When I was there I didn't take public transport once. Probably walked 50 miles in 3 days. I much prefer walking round a city.

Class place. Cheap as chips. Can't remember most of my stay and what I do remember is just merged with memories of Vienna, Prague and some other Czechoslovakian town we stopped off in during our mini tour of that part of the World. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat though. :lol:

Sounds like the summer holiday me and the missus are planning this year. Looking at flight to Brno (Czech 2nd city), then doing train to Vienna, boat down Danube to Bratislava, train to Budapest, Overnight sleeper train to Krakow and flight back. 14 or 15 nights all in with at least 4 each in the last two places. Been to Prague 5 times so missing that one out.

Sounds like the summer holiday me and the missus are planning this year. Looking at flight to Brno (Czech 2nd city), then doing train to Vienna, boat down Danube to Bratislava, train to Budapest, Overnight sleeper train to Krakow and flight back. 14 or 15 nights all in with at least 4 each in the last two places. Been to Prague 5 times so missing that one out.

I've remembered the name of the Czech town. It was Cesky Krumlov. Flew into Buda, travelled onto Prague via train, got a minibus to Cesky because we wanted to do this booze boat thing, train to Vienna and flew home from Vienna. That part of the World is class like. We looked at Krakow and Bratislava and probably would have included them in our plans had we planned to go for any longer than 10 days.

Cesky Krumlov:

Logon or register to see this image

Great city.
You can go down the Danube by local ferry for next to nothing, instead of paying for the touristy river cruise.

As well as previously mentioned things to do, if it interests you, then go to (I think) Celeritas, look on Tripadvisor. From memory, you get to shoot 50 bullets for about 45Euros from a 22 handgun, then the Magnum 357 up to an AK47.
Loads of other options like Guns of WW2 etc.
Probably the one and only time in my life I will ever fire a gun, but worth it to see what it's like.
I like Budapest much more than, say Prague, or even more so Vienna, as it is a working city and not like being in an immaculate touristy museum.

We done that too. f***ing class like if it's the same place we visited. Was supervised by 2 local skinheads who looked like they had just walked out Soviet Armed Forces and into an underground bunker where the guns were stored.

I've remembered the name of the Czech town. It was Cesky Krumlov. Flew into Buda, travelled onto Prague via train, got a minibus to Cesky because we wanted to do this booze boat thing, train to Vienna and flew home from Vienna. That part of the World is class like. We looked at Krakow and Bratislava and probably would have included them in our plans had we planned to go for any longer than 10 days.

Cesky Krumlov:

Looks nice that. I am hoping to squeeze in a cheeky game in Krakow during the Euro under 21's championships at the end of the trip. England are playing the Poles in Kielce which is only an hour and a half by train from Krakow, but its a late evening kick off and no train back so looks like Germany v Denmark in Krakow will be the match, unless I can persuade her to add a 6th city to the trip:D.

Looks nice that. I am hoping to squeeze in a cheeky game in Krakow during the Euro under 21's championships at the end of the trip. England are playing the Poles in Kielce which is only an hour and a half by train from Krakow, but its a late evening kick off and no train back so looks like Germany v Denmark in Krakow will be the match, unless I can persuade her to add a 6th city to the trip:D.

sounds class. We tried to get a match included somewhere along the lines but too many of our group weren't interested so we stuck to the booze - something that we could all agree on. :lol:

You'll have a ball marra!

Cesky Krumlov:

Was that place worth a visit? Looks nice but boring. I'm going back to Prague next month so considering a day trip.

That will be superb. I think I'd end up dead from the booze tbh.

We done that too. f***ing class like if it's the same place we visited. Was supervised by 2 local skinheads who looked like they had just walked out Soviet Armed Forces and into an underground bunker where the guns were stored.
Yeah really interesting. Must have been the same place.
There was some gun nuts from Montana when we were there.
They were putting smileys on shooting targets just like Mel Gibson did in Lethal Weapon.

I know that this is about Budapest, but when you are in Krakow, you MUST see the salt mines. Truly unique

Last edited:
They were putting smileys on shooting targets just like Mel Gibson did in Lethal Weapon.

I know that this is about Budapest, but when you are in Krakow, you MUST see the salt mines. Truly unique

Will take a look into that. Obviously going to go to Auschwitz as not been before and think its something you should do if in the area.

Was that place worth a visit? Looks nice but boring. I'm going back to Prague next month so considering a day trip.

That will be superb. I think I'd end up dead from the booze tbh.

I seen none of it mate. Was absolutely wiped out with some vile illness. The lads swore blind that the boat trip thingy they done in Cesky was the best part of the trip but I was wiped out. We arrived a few hours early so put the bags behind the reception and the lads went out. I curled up into the foetal position in reception and went to sleep. :lol:

:lol: brilliant.

We stayed in hotel President in November, was about £300 for 5 nights for the 2 of us. Brilliant city, lots to do and see and the palinka is amazing

hot springs great nightlife and cheap as chips

gerrin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back