Brian Clough

Ironically (Always assuming our board at the time was receptive to hiring him) it was someone he didn't get on with, Bob Stokoe who stopped him from getting the job here.
1974 after Leeds was the time to pick him up, and Bob was just getting his teeth into the job.

My thoughts on Clough, if the powers that were at Sunderland, had appointed him when the chance arose... I wonder if he would have been our Bill Shankley. That is set the club on a new trajectory of footballing achievement. We might have even found a lad from Hetton, to take over from him.
If the powers that were at SAFC had not sacked him when he was Coach for us , who knows what might of happened

I always wonder what would've happened if he didn't get the career ending injury.
(SAFC would probably have flogged him cheap)

I always wonder what would've happened if he didn't get the career ending injury.
(SAFC would probably have flogged him cheap)
I always wonder what would have happened if he came back as a manager. We were linked with brian Clough who wanted to manage us and all these years later we ended up with Michael (Call me Mick or IDplayer) Imagine what Clough would have made of him in his interviews :lol:

Every time me dad speaks about him its in absolutely glowing terms - said that Clough loved his time at Sunderland and that his managerial style was built around Alan Brown (?) one of our former managers?
Correct marra. Read one of Cloughy's books last year. Alan Brown was an old Sergeant Major and took no nonsense

My thoughts on Clough, if the powers that were at Sunderland, had appointed him when the chance arose... I wonder if he would have been our Bill Shankley. That is set the club on a new trajectory of footballing achievement. We might have even found a lad from Hetton, to take over from him.
We could have appointed Shankly at one point as well

Back