Bowel Cancer Self Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!
Very good advice mate, good luck with everything.... My dad had bowel cancer years ago, they removed the small tumour and he was back at work a few weeks later... So you'll be fine..

Wouldn't have entered my mind to take the test unless it hadn't come through the letterbox - I had no symptoms whatsoever - I just thought, why not, it can do no harm so sent the test off. Because of this the signs are that I have caught it early and it can be sorted out within a couple of days in hospital.

Nice one NHS

Good luck fella, windmill the twat

The amount of blood that comes out of my arse worries me......they did remove a couple of dodgy polyps a few years ago but i didnt keep my yearly check ups

they'll send for you 5 years from the time they removed the polyps, i was there a few weeks ago for my 5 yearly repeat colonoscopy, i'd go to the docs about the blood mind, might just be chalfonts but best to make sure

Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!
My kit arrived this week and is sitting in the kitchen bench. Wasn't sure what to do with it but your post has convinced me - be brave and do it.

Thanks and good luck.

My kit arrived this week and is sitting in the kitchen bench. Wasn't sure what to do with it but your post has convinced me - be brave and do it.

Thanks and good luck.
That's great m8 - although all the best wishes are fantastic and typical of the posters on this message board the main reason for my op was to convince people just like you to get it done. If caught early enough its a few days in hospital then life is back to normal.

The amount of blood that comes out of my arse worries me......they did remove a couple of dodgy polyps a few years ago but i didnt keep my yearly check ups

I would go back to the GP and get that checked out for bowel disease. Bleeding was one of my symptoms before I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease.

In my naivety i've often thought that a regular full body scan would catch these type of things early enough which would make treating them easier and save the NHS millions.
Does this make any sense?

In my naivety i've often thought that a regular full body scan would catch these type of things early enough which would make treating them easier and save the NHS millions.
Does this make any sense?
A CT scan or similar can't take samples of any abnormal areas so it wouldn't be cost effective. A colonoscopy can spot, treat and take samples all at the same time so that is usually carried out first

Mate I have had 4 cancers and one heart attack. My heart goes out to you. Just stay positive and loving and laughing.

Get to the doctors ya knacker. If the blood is bright red it's likely to be nothing. My dad's had polyps removed a few times now but it should always be checked out.

A CT scan or similar can't take samples of any abnormal areas so it wouldn't be cost effective. A colonoscopy can spot, treat and take samples all at the same time so that is usually carried out first

Love a camera up the bot me (well I love the ridiculous amounts of farting afterwards :lol:).

Mate I have had 4 cancers and one heart attack. My heart goes out to you. Just stay positive and loving and laughing.

f***ing hell :eek: You're indestructible :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back