Bowel Cancer Self Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!

Scary that but pleased you did take the test. Hope everything goes well with your treatment xx

Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!
Best of luck marra

I know I'm normally a total knacker but I want to echo @Wicksy's OP and urge you all to get tested. If you're eligible. As many of you know I work in public health and getting adults to have their jabs and get screened for things is difficult sometimes.

Sunderland has a lower bowel screening coverage rate than most of the NE. Over 40% of those eligible are not screened. Please folks, just have a shit and send them a sample.

A good mate of mine got his test kit just after his 50th birthday. Made a big joke of it on Facebook. Discovered that he had bowel cancer. Didn't see his 52nd birthday.

Too many of my family, including recently, have passed away because of bowel cancer.

Well done for catching it early mate, and I hope you kick the living fuck out of it

I had the opportunity of the over 55 sigmoidoscopy (lower bowel) that some NHS trusts are offering. Not the most comfortable experience but good to have the check if you get the chance.

Good luck with everything wicksy.

As an aside I know someone who got his poo kit at age 60. He too got a result that showed blood specks. To cut a longer story short, it wasn't cancer but it was a potential problem that if left unfound would possibly have caused an emergency operation being required and a much poorer outcome. Because the issue was found early, he got a planned operation and it was done by keyhole surgery with its much easier recovery times.

I had the opportunity of the over 55 sigmoidoscopy (lower bowel) that some NHS trusts are offering. Not the most comfortable experience but good to have the check if you get the chance.
Just had it thursday- they found and removed a polyp and I get the results tuesday. The doc who did the procedure is pretty confident it will be of no concern but still well glad I've had it done because some docs believe all bowel cancers start from polyps

Just had it thursday- they found and removed a polyp and I get the results tuesday. The doc who did the procedure is pretty confident it will be of no concern but still well glad I've had it done because some docs believe all bowel cancers start from polyps

I've had a few bowel polyps taken off and they've been harmless. Hope that puts your mind at rest xx

You will be fine m8 - they can usually identify cancer as they do the procedure - my doc told me straight off that it would be cancer and the tests obviously confirmed it

Glad they've caught it early mate, it's horrible f***ing disease, kick its arse!

Hi Mate - if you need any support then I was diagnosed Dukes C 5 years ago - yesterday I was effectively discharged - I had radiotherapy, two operations and a bout of chemo - remain positive and it can all be good in the end. Not a day goes by I appreciate the dedication of Mr Kartory and his team at the QE - they were absolutely brilliant. I am always around if you want a PM or a general chat.

When I can still see my three girls growing up I realise just how lucky I am and how it was worth the treatment

PS As an aside unfortunately while I got better our beloved team got worse!!!

I've seen Mr Kartory, he's did a sigmoidoscopy on me at Washington hospital.

All the best marra. My mam had one or two slight symptoms which she never mentioned. I soon as I found out I was on the phone to the doctors. Just as well I did. They detected cancer and she had to have a full hysterectomy, followed by some radiotherapy. They caught it in time and she's fine now. You can't take any chances when it comes to stuff like this.

A special mention should go to the staff at the QE in Gateshead who were absolutely outstanding. And to think this government is f***ing the NHS over left, right and centre. The twats.

The amount of blood that comes out of my arse worries me......they did remove a couple of dodgy polyps a few years ago but i didnt keep my yearly check ups

Absolutely gutted to hear this news. Cancer is a horrible, horrible thing. Everyone on here will right behind you and supportive in your fight.

Stay happy, stay positive and be strong. It can never be easy, but the right mind and never giving in goes a long way in the battle against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back