Bowel Cancer Self Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicksy

Winger
Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!

Took this test which is sent to 60-year-olds last week - I thought about chucking it in the bin but thank God I didn't. The result came back within a few days and confirmed that blood had been found in my stools even though there had never been a hint of this visually.

Then went for a colononoscopy which has confirmed bowel cancer, luckily it is in a good place to be removed via keyhole surgery as long as it hasn't spread elsewhere, hopefully a scan next week will confirm this.

Its just a heads up to anyone, who like me, thought they would be the last person to be diagnosed to do the test - everything you should do to increase your chances of not getting the disease I've done for years and there's no history of any cancer within my family. Bowel Cancer is totally indiscriminate and that test is likely to have saved my life so if anyone is thinking of ignoring testing ffs don't!
All the best fella.

Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully it gets all sorted.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you think about doing the test?

Sorry to hear that mate. Hopefully it gets all sorted.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you think about doing the test?
Wouldn't have entered my mind to take the test unless it hadn't come through the letterbox - I had no symptoms whatsoever - I just thought, why not, it can do no harm so sent the test off. Because of this the signs are that I have caught it early and it can be sorted out within a couple of days in hospital.

Good for you mate, you did the right thing, I've been doing the test for about 4 year now, it's not pleasant, but like you say well worth doing, I'd advise people to do the tests, hope things turn out for you, best of luck.

All the best and hope you recover fully.

My mate got it in his early thirties - 2 years clear last week and is a keen runner now. Never been fitter.

What a good shout mate. As you say with stuff like that it's not gonna do any harm to get it checked. Glad it sounds like a straight forward enough resolution. Hope it all goes well.

Hi Mate - if you need any support then I was diagnosed Dukes C 5 years ago - yesterday I was effectively discharged - I had radiotherapy, two operations and a bout of chemo - remain positive and it can all be good in the end. Not a day goes by I appreciate the dedication of Mr Kartory and his team at the QE - they were absolutely brilliant. I am always around if you want a PM or a general chat.

When I can still see my three girls growing up I realise just how lucky I am and how it was worth the treatment

PS As an aside unfortunately while I got better our beloved team got worse!!!

Hi Mate - if you need any support then I was diagnosed Dukes C 5 years ago - yesterday I was effectively discharged - I had radiotherapy, two operations and a bout of chemo - remain positive and it can all be good in the end. Not a day goes by I appreciate the dedication of Mr Kartory and his team at the QE - they were absolutely brilliant. I am always around if you want a PM or a general chat.

When I can still see my three girls growing up I realise just how lucky I am and how it was worth the treatment

I've got the same impression about the support from the staff, apparently they work from the QE and Sunderland, they've been great so far. I've been told its definitely an op only unless it has spread which would then involve chemo - I'm well up for taking whatever comes - its comforting to know that it can be tackled so well nowadays and you are living testament to that. Well done m8 and thanks for the offer of support

Last edited:

I was given my 5 year all clear a couple of weeks ago, not the same cancer, but went through the chemo and Radiotherapy.

The people that actually work in the NHS are brilliant. The ministers and administrators involved are f***ing shit!

Dad has bladder cancer he has his procedure on Thurs to remove and then it's waiting for biopsy results.
NHS have been fantastic so far.
Hope all goes well and well done for taking the test
Fingers crossed for your dad. Hope all goes well.

history of it in my family to the point I have to be tested to see if I have the gene for it (or something) - part of me would rather not know but I know that's foolish.

a friend of mine recently turned 60 and threw the tests straight in the bin.

f***ing hell. Good luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back