bowel cancer screening

Worst bit of the camera up your arse is the fact they station a nurse at the top end to talk to you whilst its going on. I was thinking, you are very nice but i wish youd just f off :lol: , let me deal with my shame by myself please.

Once the camera gets past the nippy bit at the arse entrance its alright , the initial entering is the main bit for gritted teeth.

Worst bit of the camera up your arse is the fact they station a nurse at the top end to talk to you whilst its going on. I was thinking, you are very nice but i wish youd just f off :lol: , let me deal with my shame by myself please.

Once the camera gets past the nippy bit at the arse entrance its alright , the initial entering is the main bit for gritted teeth.
It makes me grit my teeth just reading about it. In engineering terms I always see the arse as being fitted with a non return valve.

Anyway my screening kit has just arrived so I'll be croap harvesting tomorrow morning

Been getting on and off bleeding for nearly 10 years (31 now).

Getting worse with the years, and get deep aching cramps after going to the toilet for ages.

I've had endoscopes and colonoscopies too. Got another coming up. Gonna be a state when I'm in my 50s at this rate (assuming I get that far)
They not offer you laxido or something like that, I had similar issues while growing up I think I had some deep mental issues where I would keep it in for ages and I think it done some damage so passing stools now without laxido is like giving birth. But as long as I keep on top of taking the laxido I don't have issues

they have a look in ye poo for blood thats not visible ye gp can sort it
Don't want to derail what is a valuable thread but what is the SMB favoured technique for gathering the sample? Years ago I was told that cling film over the pot was the way forward but with plenty of give as you don't want it trampolining back up your hoop.
Only issue I have with this is that I generally piss when I'm having a dump so I guess you'd need to drain the tank first?
Only other time I've had to provide one was actually in hospital and had to do into one of those cardboard dishes. It wasn't so much a sample as something that could sink a battleship. Almost needed two nurses to carry it away. :lol:

Putting our differences to one side...

I've also been diagnosed with diverticulitis and have been told to follow the lowfodmap diet and I must admit the pain in my abdomen is easing, as difficult as the diet is. It's been 2 months now since I started.

Can I ask what you are doing and whether it's working?

Thanks

Well that's put me off my glucose free breakfast!!!
Honestly, they’ve done nothing! Gave me a leaflet and sent me on my way.

I’m lucky that I’m fairly strict with what I eat now anyway and track everything in MyFitnessPal but they didn’t give me a specific diet to follow at all.

It doesn’t seem to make a huge amount of difference either with me. I eat much the same food every day but I can have good weeks and bad weeks so I suspect there’s probably some other trigger - most likely stress at work or something.

Don't want to derail what is a valuable thread but what is the SMB favoured technique for gathering the sample? Years ago I was told that cling film over the pot was the way forward but with plenty of give as you don't want it trampolining back up your hoop.
Only issue I have with this is that I generally piss when I'm having a dump so I guess you'd need to drain the tank first?
Only other time I've had to provide one was actually in hospital and had to do into one of those cardboard dishes. It wasn't so much a sample as something that could sink a battleship. Almost needed two nurses to carry it away. :lol:
i just put some bog roll in the pot. enough so the shite didnt go in and could scoop a bit off the top.

Honestly, they’ve done nothing! Gave me a leaflet and sent me on my way.

I’m lucky that I’m fairly strict with what I eat now anyway and track everything in MyFitnessPal but they didn’t give me a specific diet to follow at all.

It doesn’t seem to make a huge amount of difference either with me. I eat much the same food every day but I can have good weeks and bad weeks so I suspect there’s probably some other trigger - most likely stress at work or something.

Thanks for the reply.

My doctor told me to follow this lowfodmap diet.

There is app you can download that tells you what you can and can't eat. ( Fod map A-Z) After two months I can definitely say it is helping relive the pain i had. It got to a point when tying my shoe laces became difficult. When I have a moment of madness and eat something I shouldn't ( fried stuff, bagels, chicken wings) I definitely feel it the following day. It's just not worth it anymore. I am gutted as I love me bait!!

Anyway.

Good luck with it, and again, appreciate the reply.

Last edited:
When you say " toilet problems" is there anything else other than poo in the stools. ? And when you say blood, is it like obvious , like bright red ?
My piss is either clear, or dead yellowy. Stinks of sugar puffs mind.
I wouldnt have a clue what I am looking for to be honest .
I dont think many people do. Things are not really talked about, sadly.
I first noticed going for a crap more than normal. Then I noticed red slimy blood streaks on the outside of the stool. I was lucky I got it checked straight away. Camera in and found stage 2 tumour. I was put straight in, and had it cut out. 2 years gone and still clear.Touch wood. Catch it early and it 's curable, the longer you leave it, the worse it gets It will not get better by itself. Get it seen to , and early.

Last edited:
i had the PSA test, fingers up the bum and an ultrasound. They’ve got me on medication for it now which has helped.

Have they not said what they think it could be?
Nah but it started by finding out I had very low iron levels, which usually indicates blood loss, had a FIT test and found blood in poo. Put on cancer pathway and camera up and down. Came back clear other than a polyp. Doc said it was the ultimate investigation so nowt else to look for. Iron levels have gone up but haven’t had another poo test.

One of the best rules of personal health told to me by someone a long time ago “ Don’t die of embarrassment. If you think something is wrong go to the Docs”
I told my mate this , and he went to get his prostate checked out and needs more tests , I had to go for a scan as my reading was 7.25 , when the scan was checked my prostate was naturally enlarged with age and my new safe level is 12 instead of 4.

regretting fobbing my colonoscopy off after reading these, kind of...
My GP said I would be asleep for it which looks like it was a lie reading these comments, had blood in my shite after eating some very spicy hot wings and did the whole bowel cancer screening shit

Back