bowel cancer screening

Had stage 3 melanoma 3 years ago and a PE diagnosed a week before , just recently had same symptoms as OP and went straight for camera job , just had clear results back last week. Not taking any chances now after ignoring a growing mole for a couple years, even then only went to docs to get diagnosis on a persistent cough which turned out as the PE, she took 1 look at mole and booked me in before she listened to my chest , if I left it any longer it probably would have manifested to stage 4.
So if in doubt get it checked out
Other than that all clear an reasonably fit
Sorry, can I ask what a PE is please? I'm glad you managed to get sorted / checked on time and the prognosis is good for you my love xx 🤗😘

Much maligned as the US health insurance system is, and rightly so, I have to say it's very good on preventive stuff. Cynically, I'm sure it's because they figure it's cheaper to cover exams and early treatment as it is to cover the attempted treatment of advanced disease. Routine colonoscopies were recommended to start at 50 (I think they recently brought that down to 45), and I also go for an annual all-over body check at the derm for moles etc, and get an annual physical which includes the finger up the bum to give the prostate a quick tweak. Might as well get into an easy routine where all those things that are fairly easy to treat if caught early (or taken care of before they start) are checked off every year or two. Highly recommend everyone of a certain age or risk history to do the same if they can, except the lasses and the prostate, obviously

As a lynch syndrome sufferer I have to have bi yearly colonoscopies due to my immediate family history. The drugs are great and I've probably had 10+ over the years but it's better to be safe than sorry.
I'm so glad you got seen in time and they've removed the nasties, they'll keep a closer eye on you from now on (and next time you get one you'll see the dye they mark where the polyp was taken from, it always freaks me out seeing it on camera :lol:).
😘
Are you taking aspirin daily as a preventer mate? Reason I ask as was recently diagnosed with Lynch after being diagnosed with bowel cancer and having all the surgery’s to chop the tumours out. Docs have put me on aspirin but it doesn’t half wreck my stomach ( ironic I know 😀) and was wondering if you are having the same issues or have worked out how to take it….

Also , if anyone has any doubts about going to get sorted don’t-
I was 49 when the tumour burst my bowel…. I am very lucky to be here!!!

well done mate the hardest part is dealing and sorting it.. cause it can be sorted..

:)
It's so easy to ignore it, I watched this mole grow and grow telling myself " I must go get this checked out " and in the end went to docs for another symptom. Consider myself very fortunate now and don't take any chances, been to docs more times last two years for any slight ailment than my other 55

Are you taking aspirin daily as a preventer mate? Reason I ask as was recently diagnosed with Lynch after being diagnosed with bowel cancer and having all the surgery’s to chop the tumours out. Docs have put me on aspirin but it doesn’t half wreck my stomach ( ironic I know 😀) and was wondering if you are having the same issues or have worked out how to take it….

Also , if anyone has any doubts about going to get sorted don’t-
I was 49 when the tumour burst my bowel…. I am very lucky to be here!!!
I'm sorry to hear that 😪 you're certainly one of the lucky ones 🤗 xx and I was invited to do the aspirin thing but I declined as I didn't want it to wreck my stomach tbh.
I just stick with having colonoscopies every 18 months, I may ask if I can be added to the galleri (sic?) blood test pilot thingy though (it's for over 50s but I may give my genetic counselor a call and see if she can put me forward for it).
I know when I spoke to the woman who looks after all the lynch syndrome people in the northeast there's only about 130 of us or summat.

I'm sorry to hear that 😪 you're certainly one of the lucky ones 🤗 xx and I was invited to do the aspirin thing but I declined as I didn't want it to wreck my stomach tbh.
I just stick with having colonoscopies every 18 months, I may ask if I can be added to the galleri (sic?) blood test pilot thingy though (it's for over 50s but I may give my genetic counselor a call and see if she can put me forward for it).
I know when I spoke to the woman who looks after all the lynch syndrome people in the northeast there's only about 130 of us or summat.
I started taking it a few weeks ago but have given it rest for now- all the research suggests it’s does help keep the big C at bay but weirdly it gave me similar symptoms… I think I just need to work out how to take it.
My lynch is the Mosaic type so it’s rare as- started with me, not inherited from my folks☹️ Just praying it’s missed the kids and it dies with me 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

I started taking it a few weeks ago but have given it rest for now- all the research suggests it’s does help keep the big C at bay but weirdly it gave me similar symptoms… I think I just need to work out how to take it.
My lynch is the Mosaic type so it’s rare as- started with me, not inherited from my folks☹️ Just praying it’s missed the kids and it dies with me 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻
I have mlh1 and it's quite prevalent through my late mam's side of the family (I'm just hoping it misses my bairn). Big 🤗 s and fingers crossed it ends with you in that case xx

Men should be offered cancer screenings like women are with smear tests, once they reach a certain age, say 60.

Last edited:
Much maligned as the US health insurance system is, and rightly so, I have to say it's very good on preventive stuff. Cynically, I'm sure it's because they figure it's cheaper to cover exams and early treatment as it is to cover the attempted treatment of advanced disease. Routine colonoscopies were recommended to start at 50 (I think they recently brought that down to 45), and I also go for an annual all-over body check at the derm for moles etc, and get an annual physical which includes the finger up the bum to give the prostate a quick tweak. Might as well get into an easy routine where all those things that are fairly easy to treat if caught early (or taken care of before they start) are checked off every year or two. Highly recommend everyone of a certain age or risk history to do the same if they can, except the lasses and the prostate, obviously

correct. I had first one at 50 , had 2 so far and on a 5 year schedule as they took out small polyps both times. My son whos maternal Grandfather had bowel cancer needs to start screening colonoscopy at 40.
I get the PSA every year re prostate also.
Theyre big on Breast cancer screening as well and start women on routine mamograms way before in the UK. I understand false positives is a reason UK delay but I'm sure $$ plays a part.
As people have said on thread its not a big deal to get the colonoscopy no one should avoid it.

Back