Bob Stokoe appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember sitting on the settee with me dad watching the game. I think I must have broken the 'holding your breath' world record that day.

So sorry to hear this very sad news.

All the best to Bob and his family.

colinmitch123 said:
I was 7 at the time and went to wembley with me dad, we were right behind the goal that Porterfield scored in and monty made his double save.

seven years old and at the final! you had my ticket! :twisted:

i was 15 and went to all the home games that season and followed the lads away from home to maine road (where i got slapped :wink: ) and to hillsborough for the semi. i also went with tennick to a few other away games that season. brilliant memories. didn't get a pink c (remember them?)so i didn't get a ticket. i was still at school so i was limited to pocket money, of course.

i've never forgotten and certainly never forgiven the club for the way it treated it's loyal hardcore. nothing has changed on that score over the years. :cry:

apart from that, great memories and thanks bob.

bob stokoe's red and white army.

That the man who guided us to the greatest triumph in our history is so ill he can't even remember it should break the heart of Sunderland supporters, no matter how young or old.

But however ill you are Bob, you will always be a legend on Wearside, and no one will ever be able to take that away from you.

I too was there when we won the cup in'73. I too was behind the goal where it all happened. I too was lucky enough to also see the defeats of Manchester City and Arsenal on our unbelievable journey to Wembley and the FA Cup and I too wish to add my condolences to the very fine tributes being posted here. Endorsing all your tributes to Bob Stokoe is probably the most eloquent way to convey my gratitude to a very fine footballer, manager and gentleman. We should also remember Mr. Stokoe's family who will be sorely tried by his affliction.

God Bless!

and on the back it say's BOB STOKOE - what more can you say ?!
Leeds United 0 - 1 Sunderland

Quite simply the best in my lifetime - bar none

This made me think back to that unforgetable day in May 1973....

I travelled up from Exeter University the day before thae most famour final of all and met up with friends and family for a great night out in the West End

The next day we travelled to Wembley. It seemed to take an age to get there. We arrived at about 2:30, well after the entertainment (athletics I think).

The teams walked out in drizzle, but the sun seemed to force its way through the clouids for a moment. What was this, Bob Stokoe in a trackie & mac, the players waving to friends and fans - no nerves there then.

Abide with Me was sung heartily, but with a lump in the throat.

I think we spent the whole game standing on the 'seats' . Luckiliy we were in line with the edge of the penalty area, so saw not only Porterfield's goal but also Montgomery's fantastic double save (At the time we all thought it was a goal!) - well done Dick Malone foe that final clearance!

When the final whistle went I remeber watching Bob Stokoe ruin towards - not Porterfield, not Bobby Kerr- but Jimmy Montgomery.

Then the mafgical lap of honour is a distant memeory....

Back in the West End, we ended up in one pub full of Leeds fans. Tuning to go out, we were told to stay. The Leeds fans were singing' We lost the Cup,....' and they bought us all drinks - what a night

The next day I had to travel back to Exeter, still 'glowing', wearing my red & white scarf and clutching my replica plastic FA cup, complete wih red & white ribbons - yes, I still have it - what a sad case!

The Cup Final would never be the same again - Sunderland had made history and I was there.

A few years later we were all chanting 'Stokoe out' - times don't change there then.

Thanks Bob - hang on to the memories of that magical day for as long as you can. I know I will.

Still remember as an 8 year old standing at the bottom of our Stairs shouting to my Mum "weve scored" and her virtually falling down the stairs rushing to join me dad and I infront of the TV. Such sad news for a man who created my greatest footy moment.

All the best Bob

Iwas there ,had to buy my ticket on the black market ,what a day, what a memory
thanks Bob.

dont know what to say with things like this as no matter what you say (or type in this case) words can never replicate the feelings when such an issue occurs.

Hope his family manages to cope not to badly with it, and they should be proud of what this great man has achieved in his life. Many people will not achieve a quarter of what he did.

All the best Bob.

Thank you for giving me one of the greatest days of my life.

Blessed be.

Thank you Bob. How could anyone forget the pace and trickery of Tueart and Hughes, the majesty of Dave Watson, the guile of Ian Porterfield, or the "robust" challenges of Vic Halom. There will always be a place in my heart for the team of 73 and the man who made it possible. Thank You.

Bob Stokoe is always, and will aways be, a star on Wearside. I know exactly what his family are going through at this moment and my thoughts and best wishes are with them and to the greatest manager 'the lads' have ever had.

Hopefully I'll never forget the best day out of my life.

sat.5thMay 1973 3.31pm.Ian Porterfield.....GERRIN.

Never forget your sprint across to Monty ...hope you dont .

Sincere Best Wishes.

I was five at the time and remember watching it on my Gran's TV in 19, St. Georges Terrace, Roker... The streets were empty. My Mam and Dad were away at the final... It's one of the few memories that stand out when I was that age, it will stay with me forever. The beginning of my love affair with the club.

Stokoe is a legend!... A statue would be the least the club could do!!!!!

best wishes to Bob and his family. I hope he was able to appreciate how much that day meant to so many. It is one of the defining moments in not only the history of SAFC but in English football.

a true legend.

I once played in a match that Bob refereed, he ran about with his famous trilbee hat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back