Bob Stokoe appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
was only born in 85, but me dad told me about stokoe at me at me first game. told me in 92 it cud happen again, but wudnt be as good as then.

that save is unreal, the celebrations even better.

hang in there bob

The news is very sad, it will be an awful thing for his family to endure.

The "Stokoe's Stars" period, complete with all those flags and banners in the Fulwell End, was one of the best of my 42 seasons, and who around at the time will ever forget 5th May 1973. Bob Stokoe is a true Sunderland legend.

I was 9 at the time, what a night the Man City replay was. I was stood on a wooden crate looking over the top of the wall at the front of the clock stand paddock. The final was the first match I ever watched on a coloured telly, at one my dad's mates. It was unforgettable, remember them bringing the cup through the streets of Horden to what was then the Big Club.

My sympathies to Bob and his family at this time.

Bob you are the best.

Thank you

His run across the pitch at the sound of the full-time whistle is as memorable as the save for me. All the best Bob.

Tribute from Bury fans

Sad news about a man who was a bit of legend at Bury. Bob Stokoe was playing for Bury when he took on the role of player manager at the age of 31 in 1961. From a perilous position, he saved the club from relegation and sowed the seeds for one of the best sides we have seen bringing on Colin Bell, Alex Lindsay and others who went on to become first division players. Although he brought the team to Roker which ended Brian Clough's career, he also managed to beat the Mags every time we played them.

He left in 1965 to go to Charlton Athletic but, just as he did with Sunderland, he returned briefly for another period of management in 1977 to help the club through a period of crisis before going on to Blackpool.

His modesty, humour, steadiness and deep knoweldge of the game all shone through during that amazing cup run which first attracted my interest in Sunderland which remains to this day.

My thanks to Bob for his eeforts on behalf of both clubs and my deep sympathies to him and his family at this difficult time

Re: Tribute from Bury fans

Exile said:
Sad news about a man who was a bit of legend at Bury. Bob Stokoe was playing for Bury when he took on the role of player manager at the age of 31 in 1961. From a perilous position, he saved the club from relegation and sowed the seeds for one of the best sides we have seen bringing on Colin Bell, Alex Lindsay and others who went on to become first division players. Although he brought the team to Roker which ended Brian Clough's career, he also managed to beat the Mags every time we played them.

He left in 1965 to go to Charlton Athletic but, just as he did with Sunderland, he returned briefly for another period of management in 1977 to help the club through a period of crisis before going on to Blackpool.

His modesty, humour, steadiness and deep knoweldge of the game all shone through during that amazing cup run which first attracted my interest in Sunderland which remains to this day.

My thanks to Bob for his eeforts on behalf of both clubs and my deep sympathies to him and his family at this difficult time

why does that audrey hepburn spend all day copying you?

she hasn't got an original thought in her pretty little head.

I met Bob a few times when I used to Caddy at Shields golf I can say he was exactly what a lot of people have said on here. KInd Modest and charming.

on the stands at hillsborough

I know most people remember the final but two things from 1973 will always stick out for me. The first was Vic Halom's thunderbolt past Joe Corrigan at the Fulwell End in the fifth road replay. Never was a better goal in my opinion.
The second was Sir Bob with arms aloft, tears in his eyes, as we wouldn't go home after the defeat of Arsenal in the semi final. As a 16 year old little did I know what was in store for the next 30 years. But for that glorious Saturday we knew we were back, Wembley beckoned and a God was born on Wearside. All the best Bob.

I was 11 and went with my Mam and Sisters to my mam's bosses house because she had a colour telly. My Dad had gone to the match and he says to this day that he regrets not taking me. To me it doesn't matter. Bob, the true track suit manager, leading the boys out and then him legging it over to Monty at the end was probably best seen on that colour telly. My Dad was in the Leeds end!
Little did I suspect that I'd move to Leeds and that, irrespective of what happens in Leeds v Sunderland games now, I will always have the last word with my mates here.
Great respect and best wishes to you and the family, Bob. And thank you.

The perfect statue at the ground would be one of Bob runnign on the pitch in his tracksuit and mac...

Best wishes to Bob and his family... a Sunderland legend..

Epping said:
The perfect statue at the ground would be one of Bob runnign on the pitch in his tracksuit and mac...

Best wishes to Bob and his family... a Sunderland legend..

Excellent idea Epping

My best to Bob and his family -
With lots of love

Bob Stokoe was sunderland i remember the fa cup final for all the right reasons but i also remember him coming in to help us when we were getting pushed into the third division. i will always remember his smile his love of sunderland afc.
to all his family my best wishes go to them and most of all him

A defining image for modern SAFC watching, Bob running on to the Wembley turf.

A major achievement, and a big part of what makes our club our club.

Cheers Bob.

Just to echo what others have already said...

As a 4 year old I sat and watched as a team in red & white played football against a team in white. A goal was scored. A magical save was made. A small man with a tash who looked like me dad lifted a silver trophy and everyone cheered... and minutes before that a man in a raincoat, trilby and red pants galloped across the pitch and hugged the magician in green.

And my brother, who supported the team in white, sobbed his heart out.

I hope I never forget that day.

Appalling irony that the man who gave me one of my earliest unforgettable memories now has no memory of it. Alzheimers is a truly horrible thing for a family to endure. You slowly watch someone you love being stolen from you, memory by memory, day by day.

I hope all our words can give his family strength and some kind of comfort. Bob Stokoe will always be loved by us - we'll try our best to keep his memories of that day for him.

Thanks Bob.

Thanks for everything. You are and always will be a great.

How very sad. My mum, who was at Wembley with me and my Dad on that fabulous day in '73, died of Altzheimer's. It's a horrible affliction because as people enter it they are often aware that it's happening and frustrated by their inability to recall events and facts.

I was working abroad then, but I was a regular at Roker and I remember the air of depression at Roker before Bob arrived. he lifted that gloom and went on to provide our only real glory in about 60 years. More than that, he did it with a smile on his face and he brought one to ours.

Just before the game my dad and I were taking a leak in that horrible bog just outside Wembley. A bunch of Leeds fans came in and verbally assaulted him in the customary Leeds fashion when they saw our scarves. I told them (as you have to) to get their laughing finished before the game because they would not be laughing afterwards. I didn't really believe it myself, but I still like to think of their journey back to Leeds. For once we all enjoyed our journey back up the M1.

I still watch the tape of the game. The football we played was terrific at times and towards the end we could have got another.

The team Bob built was stifled by the national wage freeze. He could not raise wages enough to hang on to his players because it was illegal. The only way they could increase their wages was by signing for another club.

They were days of fun and laughter at Roker Park and Bob developed it all himself. He was a real gentleman then and he is now.

Good luck to him. Lets be sure that he understands the affection we all have for him while he can remember it.

If you read this, Bob. Quite simply. Thank you. You are the greatest.

I watched the '73 cup final on telly as a mere youngster and even me dad who didn't really like football was shouting at the telly urging the lads on. I can look back now and see Bob Stokoe running onto the pitch towards Monty and you can tell that for Bob it was the proudest day of his life. I just hope that whatever happens that memory stays imprinted on his brain forever. :(

First match I ever went to see was the return of Bob Stokoe in 1987. Such a shame that he couldn't save us from Mackemenemies mistakes and ultimate relegation. To be honest the Stokoe glory years were before I was born, but every year the FA cup matches are on the telly, they show Bob wearing hat, raincoat and red tracky bottoms sprinting onto the Wembley pitch. Such an enduring image will never pass into the unforgotten mists of time and people of Sunderland will always remember Bob Stokoe and his achievements. I wish him and his family all the best.

Bob the man, Bob the Manager, Bob the legend,
I think Essex had a belter of an idea,
is there no way we,
all of us could not get something going on this boaed
that we could send in to the club asking for a statue of Bob???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back