Bob Stokoe appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wasn't born then but I know of the massive achievements of Bob (cos from the minute I popped out the videos were on) and really it is hard to word a statement on such a tragic peace of news. My wishes are with a Truly Great Man! and his family

Arise Sir Bob Stokoe

Will never forget that day. Was nine years old growing up in Shields playing footy in the street etc,.. each one of us pretending to be Pele, Jarzhino, Colin Bell, George Best etc,... and it only occured to us when SAFC reached the Semi-Final that we had a great team on our door step ! We used to say we had 'cup fever' like it really mean't exactly that ! (Can anyone remember the millions of plastic carrier bags that all the shops seemed to be distributing around the area with 'Sunderland for the cup' on them, we started to collect them, sad I know !
Anyway, come the great day me and the whole family (mam, dad, sister and gran) all watched the match together encamped round the telly. Bobby Charlton was the only pundit prior to the game who said we would win it and he was totally out numbered ! When Ian Porterfield scored we all went mad and bit our nails for the rest of the game, through Monty's save and everything else. My Gran kept asking: "Who scored again, Ian Butterfield ?" We couldn't believe Sunderland had won, so we all got into the car (Mini Clubman Estate) and drove to Sunderland from Shields just to see what was going on and there was people on the streets jumping up and down waving scarves etc,.. What a day !!!
I was hooked for life ! and my Uncle Ernie who was at Wembley on the day offered to take me to the matches, and there I was standing on a little wooden box, handed down from his son, my Cousin Martin, in the middle of the Fulwell End next to one of the big red pillars holding up the roof.
So...... from the bottom of my heart Sir Bob, many many thanks for that day and all the others in my early fandom and best wishes to both you and your family !
We will never forget !!
Keep the Faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back