Bob Stokoe appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Stokoe is the last man who brought glory and silverware to Sunderland. For a few special years he seemed to be on the verge of leading us back to our pre-war greatness and although it wasn't to be, he remains a legend and an icon for that amazing day on May 5th 1973.

Tragically it has emerged recently that "Sir" Bob has Alzheimers, the degenerative brain disease especially affecting the elderly, which means that Bob may soon know nothing of his own great deeds.

Please if you can, join in with your own messages of sympathy and/or appreciation for the great man.

Hopefully, this tragic illness will never totally erase the memory of that great day from Sir Bob's mind.

It is the first memory I can remember as a child aged 3 and it is one that I hope that I will never forget.

Thank you.

As a four year old child, on a saturday, my mam dressed my in Red and White, in may 1973 and plonked me down in front of the television, little did I realise at the time that I was watching the greatest FA Cup game in the 20th Century.

Against a Leeds team who just had to turn up at quarter to five to lift the trophy against a Sunderland side who were second division and were kindly there to make the numbers up.

I have watched the game (and cup run) a hundred times since and am inspired by the manner in which Sunderland played (knocking out Arsenal and Manchester City on the way) and the manner in which we were managed.

Bob Stokoe will always hold a special place in my heart, he is synonymous with the greatest giant killing act in FA Cup history.

A gentleman and scholar of football as football should be played.

The run across the hallowed turf to Monty will live long in the memory of sunderland supporters then, today and in the future.

Your achivement becomes more important with every passing year of failure. You provided us with the one truly bright spot in the last 60 years or so. Allthough I was but a babe in arms at the time hearing my dads voice crack whenever he speaks of the day shows just what it ment the the supporters of Sunderland. I hope your not suffering to mutch as you brought sutch pleasure to us all,

All the best Bob from JKLL

He may not have got us as high as Reidy in the league, but there is no doubt who the most-loved SAFC manager is in my lifetime.He took us over when we were in the nether regions of the old division 2..I was 13 years old. I recall he lost his first game at home 0-1 (hope Wilco...). the cup draw at Notts County got us going. Over 30,000 for the Reading match at Roker, biggest crowd for years. But the Man City game got us national attention, they were THE sexiest team of the time. The replay has been voted as the best game ever at Roker. I shudder at the noise, it was unbelievable. QF, semis, final. Bob with his trilby, dancing , hugging Monty. His white /grey overcoat. His unassuming manner. The 75 promotion season. Resigning after 11 games or so, Rumours of ill-health. To a start-struck 13 year old, he WAS the Messiah. And whisper it quietly, he always will be. God bless you Bob.

being a wee slip of a lad i remember it was the second cup final i ever saw on a colour telly.I also remember me mam and auntie screaming every time peter lorimer got the ball and the chair me and me cousin sat in tipping over after that save!!

the sight of the flasher mac and the tacky red tracky bottoms running towards monty is raising the hairs on the back of me neck as i type this!!

You gave us perhaps the greatest day in our history bob and thoughts are with your family now :cry: :cry: :cry:

i wasnt around in his era wasnt even i twinkle in my fathers eye yet he will remain up there in the sunderland greats for a long time to come

5 May 1973.

I was there and I will never forget.

Best wishes to Bob, friends and family.

As a spotty 14yr old lad exiled from his homeland darn saarf i too sat and watched the 73 cup run on telly.

They say schooldays are the best of your life but the schoolday after that Cup final victory was very special indeed. Instead of saying"you support who?" all my mates were all of a sudden aware of the mighty SAFC and their manager.

Thank you Bob Stokoe, you will always be loved like a member of my own family.

Sad, sad news. As I sit at my computer I have by the side of it, where it's been for years, a picture of the man in the hat.

I was 6 in '73, just old enough to remember my dad and all his mates in a state of hysteria for the last half hour, and the noise at the final whistle was deafening. And that was in my dad's mates living room, with a room full of, excepting my father, Preston fans.
That day was a victory for the underdogs, a ray of hope for every person who's ever supported an "average" team, and the fact that it's still referred to as such an upset and achievement speaks volumes for what Bob and his lads did.

My aunty's got alzheimers now, and it's a horrible affliction, not just for the sufferrer, but for their families too.

So thanks for that day, for making my dad so proud, for giving us all a bit of history.

for the run in the cup - thank you
for the belief in the club - thank you
for being such a nice bloke - thank you
for the run onto the pitch (and lifting up JimmyMonty) - thank you
for coming back when we needed you (post Lawrie McM) - thank you

for being one of the best - thank you 8)

Dusk falls over the Stadium Of Light as the brilliance of one man, who more than any other gave us hope, is fading.

My best wishes go to Bob and his familly and I sincerely hope he can spend the rest of his days in the dignity he so truly deserves.

tooth_patrol said:
My best wishes go to Bob and his familly and I sincerely hope he can spend the rest of his days in the dignity he so truly deserves.
erm yes. I meant to put something that nice at the end of my post...... :oops:

Bob ... I found SAFC just after you had left ...... but I thank you for the adopted memories which I have of you ......

Best wishes and deepest sympathy to Bob & his family. That great day in 1973 was before my time, I only wish I couldve been there. Bob you will always be a Sunderland legend.

The TV footage of Bob saluting the Sunderland fans at Hillsborough(?) after beating Arsenal in the semi final really moves me-and I wasnt even alive at the time.

I was 7 at the time and went to wembley with me dad, we were right behind the goal that Porterfield scored in and monty made his double save.

The celebrations at the end and bob running across the pitch to hug monty will be a memory that will live with me forever.

I can honestly say that has to be the greatest day in my life.

Thanks Bob you're a legend

As everyone before me has said - A Legend. Thanks for the memories.

I was just a mere twinkle in my Dads eye the day we last won the cup, he'll have a place in every Mackem's heart for ever, no matter who was there that day in 1973.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back