Blur are far better than Oasis

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were niche,they didn't want to be big,some bordering on Crusties etc .Blur and Oasis started small and got noticed ,same playing field .They did all the work before the press luvvies started hanging onto them .Oasis and blur seemed to appeal to the normal dressed kids who didn't want to be different (hence a bigger crowd) .The lot you speak of did plenty albums ,not 1 so they were out there and did what they did .Cant see how a few extra quid will make their songs better and they certainly weren't going to conform and cut their dreads etc

The few quid extra spent on them is the only thing that separated Oasis from half the no name pub bands we had around that time.

Production is like a magic trick. Spend a shedload on it and you can make any band sound like geniuses to folks that don't know how the "magic" tricks work.

The few quid extra spent on them is the only thing that separated Oasis from half the no name pub bands we had around that time.

Production is like a magic trick. Spend a shedload on it and you can make any band sound like geniuses to folks that don't know how the "magic" tricks work.

people not as savvy as you

:lol::lol: Can't polish a turd as they say .Alan McGee was in the world of the bands you mention when he saw Oasis playing live in a bar without any trimmings and he signed them immediately (but what does he know) Punters don't have to know all the tricks .There's the occasional Frankie goes to Hollywood situation and Ronson and Farrell are doing it now where they have the midas touch but there's loads of million sellers with very average production .Clearly you don't like Oasis but non of your bands had the Wonderwall or the Live forever or the Parklife and that's just how it is .
Indeed.

It's what comes with studying it at degree level at university and then working in the industry for years, mate.
So you're trained in making something sound better ,its the something that's the key .

Last edited:
The Wonder Stuff
Pop Will Eat Itself
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Inspiral Carpets
Jesus Jones
Cud
Carter USM
Sisters Of Mercy
The Cure
The Levellers
New Model Army
The Wedding Present

...to name a few.

All far superior bands.

Blur were better than 90% of that list Fyl and you know it. Neds Atomic Dustbin?!? Fuck off :D

Last edited:
:lol::lol: Can't polish a turd as they say .Alan McGee was in the world of the bands you mention when he saw Oasis playing live in a bar without any trimmings and he signed them immediately (but what does he know) Punters don't have to know all the tricks .There's the occasional Frankie goes to Hollywood situation and Ronson and Farrell are doing it now where they have the midas touch but there's loads of million sellers with very average production .Clearly you don't like Oasis but non of your bands had the Wonderwall or the Live forever or the Parklife and that's just how it is .

So you're trained in making something sound better ,its the something that's the key .

Well, we'll agree to disagree. There's plenty of polished turds in music history. I heard a story about Tiffany for example, who had a hit in the 80's with "I think we're alone now". The producer or engineer, I forget which, was telling us she was the worst singer he'd ever heard and it took forever to get the vocals down and took so much editing and polishing that they thought they would go insane.

While I was working at Olympic, we had Embrace in recording an album at one point. Their vocalist would spend an entire day recording the vocals for a single song, after which their keyboard player would take that song up to a programming room and spend a week putting it in tune by manually editing it with Autotune. As a side note, that daft sod singer was so up himself he would only record his vocal parts wearing boxer shorts and nowt else, which I could happily ignore if he was any good. :lol:
Blue were better than 90% of that list Fyl and you know it. Neds Atomic Dustbin?!? Fuck off :D

Blue, you say?
;)

Well, we'll agree to disagree. There's plenty of polished turds in music history. I heard a story about Tiffany for example, who had a hit in the 80's with "I think we're alone now". The producer was telling us she was the worst singer he'd ever heard and it took forever to get the vocals down and took so much editing and polishing that they thought they would go insane.

While I was working at Olympic, we had Embrace in recording an album at one point. Their vocalist would spend an entire day recording the vocals for a single song, after which their keyboard player would take that song up to a programming room and spend a week putting it in tune by manually editing it with Autotune. As a side note, that daft sod singer was so up himself he would only record his vocal parts wearing boxer shorts and nowt else, which I could happily ignore if he was any good. :lol:

Blue, you say?
;)

Bastard predictive text :evil:

another vote for blur , someone create poll
Well, we'll agree to disagree. There's plenty of polished turds in music history. I heard a story about Tiffany for example, who had a hit in the 80's with "I think we're alone now". The producer or engineer, I forget which, was telling us she was the worst singer he'd ever heard and it took forever to get the vocals down and took so much editing and polishing that they thought they would go insane.

Blue, you say?
;)
was it you who said to jim kerr , come in come out of the rain ? :)

Last edited:

I think you're going a bit overboard with the Oasis hate.........Noel has written some great little songs and often sound best with no production at all just him and an acoustic. Yes the band themselves are not as gifted as like a Tool or Pink Floyd, but Noel stands out as a songwriter imo and Liam as a singer - I'm only talking about the first few years, afterwards they became full on Dad rock (in a bad way). Their performances in 94' certainly are far more than the average band could muster.

Blur were better than 90% of that list Fyl and you know it. Neds Atomic Dustbin?!? Fuck off :D

Oh and Ned's were and still are f***ing brilliant, man.

And I'm not just saying that because the missus is mates with Alex, one of their bass players.

Blue, you say?
;)

what happens when he sings live then?
Oh and Ned's were and still are f***ing brilliant, man.

And I'm not just saying that because the missus is mates with Alex, one of their bass players.

no but you just thought you'd mention it

what happens when he sings live then?
No idea, I haven't seen them live. I'd guess back in the day he just sounded out of tune a lot of the time whereas nowadays there's a rackmount hardware version of autotune that can put you in tune in real time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back