Bloody Josh Maja

His hold up play is spot on, except when the ball is hoofed up to him while he is being marked by a 15 stone centre half! As far as I've seen all season, when the ball is played to him on the floor, his feet are that quick it sticks to him until a team mate arrives more often that not.
I disagree tbh, think he shows it now and again but often gets bullied straight off it before bringing others into play. Still think there’s signs there, it’s his movement in general that needs the most work for me.

To be fair to the OP, I’ve heard our fans kicking off with him during games this season for being ‘lazy’. Unbelievable.

The kids banging in goals for fun, and we have some knackers trying to criticise him because his game doesn’t involve running the channel.

there were 2 or 3 kicking off in the match thread last night, in a meaningless kickabout, whilst he surrounded by the 23s who aren't good enough for our first team.

of course he went onto score the winner.

The good thing is that it appears we want him to stay and he appears to be up for it.
In addition, the coaching staff and Ross have publicly stated that they are working on the weaker aspects of his game.
He already possesses a superb touch and control, has good movement and feet and has the happy knack of making difficult finishes look regulation by taking them so early.
That’s a lot to build on at 19 years old

At Port Vale Sinclair was running around a lot and in a real battle. He worked hard and despite setting up a goal, overall came off second best on the day to the centre half. Maja came on and although he wasn't running around and battling like Sinclair, he didn't have to due to intelligent movement, intelligent hold up play, excellent close control and quick feet. Playing like that he doesn't need to run around to impress. Not that I think he is lazy mind.

He's distinctly better at holding the ball up and laying it off than at the start of the season - so long as the ball is delivered to him chest height or below. He's still a little physically immature to cope with head height stuff when up against the typical L1 brick shithouse centre half. What's more likely to hold him back long term is an apparent lack of pace in a one on one situation.

He doesnt have blistering pace to beat a man, but he moves it very quickly to get a shot away, producing most of his goals

The lad is a great finisher, no doubt about it, and his goals per game return even at this level is class, but he clearly has a lot of his game to work on still. A lot of 'lazy touches and flicks some times when a controlled pass would be a better option, and maybes not running around like a headless chicken but a bit more energy when haven't got the ball by giving thier CB's a bit of harassment woudlnt go a miss, but overall he has to be the first name on the team sheet due to his finishing and ability to get a goal from nowhere. I'd hope that Ross has drilled into him that he has a long long way to go yet before he becomes the player his potential suggest. In true SMB fashion though, he has to be either pure class or rubbish, when he's scoring goals its not allowed to talk about the rest of his game apparently

I'm almost 100% in agreement with this opinion. He seems to have really good / quick feet at times and can be skilful, he can hold the ball well at times and at others not at all. He's almost Defoe like in the way he can make space and finish in the box too and he's a young lad who is improving and has a great goals per game record in what is his first full season at this level, so there's certainly going to be areas at his stage of development which can improve. At times though he just has no impact on the game whatsoever and maybe at those times a bit more movement or the odd run in behind when presented with the opportunity wouldn't go amiss (I know he doesn't have blistering pace, but he has enough and he seems unwilling to do it) as sometimes centre halves just have it too easy against him and it can hinder our play in getting up the field or retaining the ball. Hhowever that isn't slating him it's general observations and balance because as you say there's rarely an inbetween on here.

Back