Bloody Josh Maja

It’s all about conserving energy for some strikers and only using their energy when they need to.

There are some forwards like Shane Long that will run and harass all game, but it’s a different type of role.

I remember our fans calling Jones lazy because of his running style :lol:

They are clueless that’s why.
The one about Jones not actually running very fast was one of the greatest things written on this board :lol:

The lad is a great finisher, no doubt about it, and his goals per game return even at this level is class, but he clearly has a lot of his game to work on still. A lot of 'lazy touches and flicks some times when a controlled pass would be a better option, and maybes not running around like a headless chicken but a bit more energy when haven't got the ball by giving thier CB's a bit of harassment woudlnt go a miss, but overall he has to be the first name on the team sheet due to his finishing and ability to get a goal from nowhere. I'd hope that Ross has drilled into him that he has a long long way to go yet before he becomes the player his potential suggest. In true SMB fashion though, he has to be either pure class or rubbish, when he's scoring goals its not allowed to talk about the rest of his game apparently

I’ve heard a few at games calling him lazy and not going full blooded in to tackles.

I don’t or won’t ever get it. If our top scorer who is 19 year wants to do fuck all and not go in to tackle but keep scoring for then I’ve got absolutely no problem with it. Usually you find it’s strikers who don’t score many goals that do a lot of running and graft to mask the fact they are shit when it comes to their actual job.

The lad is a great finisher, no doubt about it, and his goals per game return even at this level is class, but he clearly has a lot of his game to work on still. A lot of 'lazy touches and flicks some times when a controlled pass would be a better option, and maybes not running around like a headless chicken but a bit more energy when haven't got the ball by giving thier CB's a bit of harassment woudlnt go a miss, but overall he has to be the first name on the team sheet due to his finishing and ability to get a goal from nowhere. I'd hope that Ross has drilled into him that he has a long long way to go yet before he becomes the player his potential suggest. In true SMB fashion though, he has to be either pure class or rubbish, when he's scoring goals its not allowed to talk about the rest of his game apparently
Of course it's allowed - some people behave like c*nts, though, saying he'll never make it because of such and such(quite often, the such and such is imaginary).

Lad behind me last night having a go at him for being lazy not winning headers etc. But that isnt his game, when the ball was played to his feet or into the channels he held it fairly well and found a pass.

Then he scored and the same lad shouted, get in Maja, get that 5 yr contract signed :lol:

Worth remembering too that he is only 19 still.

Last edited:
I’ve heard a few at games calling him lazy and not going full blooded in to tackles.

I don’t or won’t ever get it. If our top scorer who is 19 year wants to do fuck all and not go in to tackle but keep scoring for then I’ve got absolutely no problem with it. Usually you find it’s strikers who don’t score many goals that do a lot of running and graft to mask the fact they are shit when it comes to their actual job.

why can't he do a bit of both though? that is my only major criticism of him, that he doesnt give the opposition CB's a hard enough time when we don't have possession, especially in the middle third. its a team game after all, and although he is getting the goals, when he goes through the inevitable dry patch i'd like to see him contribute a bit more in other areas. Coventry away pissed me off a little bit, as their defenders had one of the easiest afternoons they will ever have, which allowed their possession to keep applying pressure to our defence quite easily. the slightest bit of harassment from Maja might have resulted in them giving possession away much more cheaply that it did. again, i'm not advocating having him run around like a headless chicken chasing whoever has the ball, or busting a gut chasing balls he is never going to win, but a 20% increase in energy and enthusiasm when not in possession, for me, would increase his worth to the team by 100%.

Of course it's allowed - some people behave like c*nts, though, saying he'll never make it because of such and such(quite often, the such and such is imaginary).

i've not read that anywhere to be honest. but i have read a lot of things suggesting he is beyond any form of constructive criticism whilst he is scoring goals. seems daft to me. i want him to develop into a better and better player, he already has the natural knack for finding the back of the net from half chances, which you can't really teach, but to rely on that his whole career would be daft

He may "appear lazy" but his movement, touch and intelligent positioning set him aside from the vast majority of plodders we've had

I've not heard anyone refer to him as lazy I have heard groans about his ball retention, too much of the time understandable but he must be starting every game imo and we must get ball to feet as much as possible in that 18 yard box

He reminds me of a league one Berbatov. If we were struggling he wouldn't be effective, but as we are able to dominate play and generally create enough chances that missing one doesn't mean we lose (as in recent years where chances were at a premium), he is a great asset who is going to benefit greatly for this season. The further development the lad needs can be gained over time. We should just support him fully and let him make the odd mistake or ill judged touch and allow him to develop for the future. It seems an age since we had a young, talented striker with potential.

Exactly my point.

He reminds me of a league one Berbatov. If we were struggling he wouldn't be effective, but as we are able to dominate play and generally create enough chances that missing one doesn't mean we lose (as in recent years where chances were at a premium), he is a great asset who is going to benefit greatly for this season. The further development the lad needs can be gained over time. We should just support him fully and let him make the odd mistake or ill judged touch and allow him to develop for the future. It seems an age since we had a young, talented striker with potential.

Not sure how many games you've seen this season but that hasn't happened very often at all.

For the record, I think Maja's all round game isn't as bad as some people have made out on this thread. He's not a target man, I'll give you that, but he's actually very good at keeping hold of the ball in tight positions and laying it off to others.

People love slagging off strikers. We wouldn't miss Grabban last year because he 'only scores goals'. People were genuinely ringing up phone ins after he scored just to slag him off for not winning headers.

Shane Long can't score goals so doesn't get games anymore
Correction, people like slagging off our strikers who do the job they're supposed to do. We gave Altidore hardly any shit, we used to laugh at him.

Tin hat on like but has that even been suggested much :lol: most the criticism I have seen has been on his overall game, movement and hold up play especially. Imo that is poor at the moment and needs massive work. The lad is a fantastic finisher there is no doubt about that at all but it is allowed to say he needs to improve some aspects if he is to make it at a higher level.
His hold up play is spot on, except when the ball is hoofed up to him while he is being marked by a 15 stone centre half! As far as I've seen all season, when the ball is played to him on the floor, his feet are that quick it sticks to him until a team mate arrives more often that not.

He's distinctly better at holding the ball up and laying it off than at the start of the season - so long as the ball is delivered to him chest height or below. He's still a little physically immature to cope with head height stuff when up against the typical L1 brick shithouse centre half. What's more likely to hold him back long term is an apparent lack of pace in a one on one situation.

Back