Black's Corner plans to transform Seaburn tram shelter

I never said that building was demolished. Keep up at the back

Funny how it caught fire when it did. After all them years.
What incentive would they have to set fire to it? Suppose there may have been the potential to sell the site to someone but it’s not as if it’s particularly high value.

a lot of these sort of derelict buildings are targets for arsonists I recall it happened to both Toffee Factory and former Stereo bar in Newcastle.
Someone needs to explain the motivation behind the council wanting to burn down Simpson St school 'cos I cN't work it out like?
Particularly as it appears funding was secured for its redevelopment only a month or so afterwards which would suggest that the project was well advanced prior to the fire happening.

Last edited:
Councils Lack of maintenance and neglect has been a contributing factor
Been slates missing for months that should of been replaced
I know. I have already agreed with you man. So was the force of the storm which you have not acknowledged.

BTW It's "have" not "of".

Last edited:
I've sheltered from the rain there on a few occasions. What a bad idea, turning it into a poncy bistro for a paying minority.
Lots of nostalgic NIMBY posts about being fingerblasted there back in 1981
Do you work for Sunderland Council PR department? You always pop up like Comical Ali however good or bad the idea.

Last edited:
I've sheltered from the rain there on a few occasions. What a bad idea, turning it into a poncy bistro for a paying minority.

Do you work for Sunderland Council PR department? You always pop up like Comical Ali however good or bad the idea.
It's a good idea in this case...taking a barely used decrepit shelter and turning it into a nice facility that improves the locale.

It's a good idea in this case...taking a barely used decrepit shelter and turning it into a nice facility that improves the locale.
It's not 'barely used'. I've been in there in summer when there have been sudden rain showers and it's been quite full. If we had more footfall at the sea front it would be even busier.

These people are using the shelter for the purpose for which it was designed. To make it into some poncey bistro would involve major structural changes that would destroy its character. Part of their plan involves adding a WC for fuck's sake (there are Victorian WCs next door).

The council have simply off-loaded a problem of their making to the private sector. If it's decrepid, it's because they barely spent a penny on it for decades!

Last edited:
It's not 'barely used'. I've been in there in summer when there have been sudden rain showers and it's been quite full. If we had more footfall at the sea front it would be even busier.

These people are using the shelter for the purpose for which it was designed. To make it into some poncey bistro would involve major structural changes that would destroy its character. Part of their plan involves adding a WC for fuck's sake (there are Victorian WCs next door).

The council have simply off-loaded a problem of their making to the private sector. If it's decrepid, it's because they barely spent a penny on it for decades!
It is barely used...I live 2 minutes from it and can see it's empty all the time.

Just because you don't like bistros doesn't mean that others won't enjoy it. There'll be more people enjoy the bistro than a shitty shelter

They haven't. It's clear you haven't looked into this at all

Last edited:

Been past it 100s of times and very rarely see anyone in it.

A WC? Were you born in Victorian times Mr Macawber?

How do you propose we increase footfall? More WCs?

Last edited:
It is barely used...I live 2 minutes from it and can see it's empty all the time.

Just because you don't like bistros doesn't mean that others won't enjoy it. There'll be more people enjoy the bistro than a shitty shelter

They haven't. It's clear you haven't looked into this at all

I do like bistros. Not at the expense of heritage Victorian seaside shelters though.

How many other seaside resorts have done this to their shelters?

The nature of seaside shelters is they're busy when there are sudden showers and empty the rest of the time.

I do like bistros. Not at the expense of heritage Victorian seaside shelters though.

How many other seaside resorts have done this to their shelters?

The nature of seaside shelters is they're busy when there are sudden showers and empty the rest of the time.
It's up to the residents of SR6 and this is what most of us want. I don't come to Gilley Law and tell you to convert your needle exchange into a tea room.

Back