Birmingham 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

They had associations with the IRA and it’s members. One of them even admitted he knew the identities of three of the bombers.

really? source?

reading up on it here:
All you need to know about the 1974 Birmingham pub bombings

Since his release, Paddy Hill has since campaigned alongside the families of those killed for the inquest into the bombing to be reopened.

Doesnt sound like the actions of a guilty man to me........

what were they guilty of then?
Guilt by association? World in Actionand maybe Panorama did programmes on the pub bombers, looking back it may be that the police knew they had some wrong uns but manipulated the evidence to secure convictions when the chances are it was someone else who was guilty

They had associations with the IRA and it’s members. One of them even admitted he knew the identities of three of the bombers.

Pretty sure they admitted to collecting money prior to the bombings. Plus weren’t they apprehended at Birmingham New Street (150 yds away from the bombed pubs) on their way back to Ireland, with traces of explosives on their hands? Not saying that makes them guilty, but I can see how it would look.

The biggest tragedy is the disservice the Police showed towards the victims and their families, by the way they handled the situation. I don’t think the poor families will ever get justice.

Guilt by association? World in Actionand maybe Panorama did programmes on the pub bombers, looking back it may be that the police knew they had some wrong uns but manipulated the evidence to secure convictions when the chances are it was someone else who was guilty

Interesting read here:
Paddy Hill and the Birmingham Six

At the age of 64, Paddy Hill described his interrogation by the police. ‘They jammed a pistol in my mouth and smashed it around, breaking my teeth so badly it was agony to even have a sip of water until I finally saw a dentist, two weeks later. They told me they knew I was innocent but that they didn't care: they had been told to get a conviction and that if I didn't admit to the bombing, they would shoot me in the mouth. They slowly counted to three, then pulled the trigger. They did that three times. Each time, I thought I was going to die.’ Hill was so badly beaten that his two-year-old son suffered trauma from the shock of seeing him afterwards.

World In Action named the same men named today in 1990, when they were all still alive and able to be investigated.

Pretty sure they admitted to collecting money prior to the bombings. Plus weren’t they apprehended at Birmingham New Street (150 yds away from the bombed pubs) on their way back to Ireland, with traces of explosives on their hands? Not saying that makes them guilty, but I can see how it would look.

The biggest tragedy is the disservice the Police showed towards the victims and their families, by the way they handled the situation. I don’t think the poor families will ever get justice.
Yeah. The real murders more than likely committed more terrorist attacks on innocent people. They needed a quick result and got it. Still no justice for the families.

Again,...source?

That is quite a claim.
Being a member of the IRA doesn't mean you are a bomber or on the army council. A lot of members would collect money or run errands for the IRA.

The police didn't just pick up 6 random Irish men.

Last edited:
Not something I’d ever really read about before until recently. Seems like in terms of PR it was as big a fuck up for the provos as Bloody Sunday was for the Paras. The IRA leadership were in dispute with the Birmingham cell before it even did the bombings and they fucked up the coded message not giving enough time.

You claimed they are IRA members, that is quite a claim, you will need to provide at least a source.........
They were friends and close associates of James McDade. The man who was killed during a failed bombing in Coventry. McDade was well involved in the IRA and they were arrested going to his funeral.

That doesn't mean they were high ranking or in the army council. At the very least they were associated with a key member of the IRA.

They were friends and close associates of James McDade. The man who was killed during a failed bombing in Coventry. McDade was well involved in the IRA and they were arrested going to his funeral.

That doesn't mean they were high ranking or in the army council. At the very least they were associated with a key member of the IRA.

It means they had a mate who was in the IRA.

So basically you were talking shite, fair enough.

100,000 turned out for Bobby Sands funeral. By your logic that makes all of them IRA members.

Also you specifically said “they were IRA members”. Not that they were “associated” with them.

100,000 turned out for Bobby Sands funeral. By your logic that makes all of them IRA members.

Also you specifically said “they were IRA members”. Not that they were “associated” with them.

Fair point, in the same breath running around collecting money for the caliphate and flying off to the funerals of suicide bombers doesn't make you a member of ISIS.....you're a f***ing wrang'un though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back