Bilbao Black Cats / Athletic Club Bilbao

Alfred Mills was the only foreigner involved in the founding of the club and he was from Cornwall, which, when I last looked, is miles from Sunderland.
Fred Pentland from Sunderland also had something to do with the founding of the club
Their fanbase gets a lot of plaudits
Athletic mention links to Sunderland on their website.

Logon or register to see this image
https://ibb.co/F50XdXM

*Arthur Pentland should have said

Last edited:

Myself and another Sunderland fan here in Bilbao recently formed an official Sunderland AFC overseas supporters branch called the Bilbao Black Cats.

Our aim is to gradually get more members into the branch and form an official link with Sunderland AFC and Athletic Club Bilbao.

A new president of Athletic Bilbao has recently been elected and one of his visions is to try to get more out of the Athletic Bilbao Basque only philosophy and hopes to do this by forming links/friendships with clubs from around the world as while most football fans around the world know about Athletic and their policy that's about as far as it goes.

I'm friends with someone who is on the electoral board of Athletic and has close ties to the new president and vice president and they are potentially keen on starting a friendship with Sunderland due to the shipyards industry, the origins of Athletic, the red and white stripes, which many believe are linked to Southampton but there is strong evidence to suggest this is incorrect, the passion of the fans and how football runs deep within the city and being able to see this through Sunderland Till I Die.

Would fans be interested in being part of this link?

Here is an unfinished image of what our Bilbao Black Cats branch logo will look like.

Will we get cheap Holidays to Spain?

If anyone is interested to know more about the Bilbao Black Cats, Roker Report have kindly published an article on us.

Many thanks to Paddy and the rest at Roker Report @Cack Stottie 🇵🇪

I'm struggling too see the links between SAFC and Bilbao.

There are some footballers from the Sunderland area who play a game in Bilbao....but that seems to be it. The rest seems hearsay and "we believe this..."

I've posted on here a few times about County Durham coal links.
Google the name William LLewellyn Dyer, Sunderland born, Athletic player and spy.

Great initiative lads, I'm a bit too far south in Madrid to join, good luck with it. I vaguely know the Marketing Director at Athletic Club if you want to contact him.

I'm struggling too see the links between SAFC and Bilbao.

There are some footballers from the Sunderland area who play a game in Bilbao....but that seems to be it. The rest seems hearsay and "we believe this..."

Perhaps some are more to do with the city of Sunderland and County Durham but the red and white shirts of Sunderland seem very plausible to me.

The Southampton story doesn't add up and it's just an easy link to make because it's where the boat from Bilbao docked.

As @pablo casals has mentioned, there is a Sunderland link with the founding of the Athletic Club with the name William Llewellyn Dyer.
Google the name William LLewellyn Dyer, Sunderland born, Athletic player and spy.

Great initiative lads, I'm a bit too far south in Madrid to join, good luck with it. I vaguely know the Marketing Director at Athletic Club if you want to contact him.
Indeed, the name William Llewellyn Dyer is said to be one of the founders of Athletic Bilbao.

I believe it was his son, Pat Dyer who was the spy.

https://ibb.co/yS0KNYt https://ibb.co/hLgwDD7

Last edited:
You got a FB page?
Not at the moment mate. Just twitter and the email address. We're setting up an Instagram and if we can get one of the new members to run Facebook, we'll do it.
Are we allowed flags with the Bilbao badge on, or will we get knacked?

Where at? Knacked by who?
Class work lads, just read the interview!

Keep it up and hopefully more locals get involved too.

Cheers mate! I reckon that by the time the season starts we'll have between 15-20 members in total.

Look forward to welcoming you to Bilbao at some point as I know you're keen on Athletic Bilbao.

Last edited:
Myself and another Sunderland fan here in Bilbao recently formed an official Sunderland AFC overseas supporters branch called the Bilbao Black Cats.

Our aim is to gradually get more members into the branch and form an official link with Sunderland AFC and Athletic Club Bilbao.

A new president of Athletic Bilbao has recently been elected and one of his visions is to try to get more out of the Athletic Bilbao Basque only philosophy and hopes to do this by forming links/friendships with clubs from around the world as while most football fans around the world know about Athletic and their policy that's about as far as it goes.

I'm friends with someone who is on the electoral board of Athletic and has close ties to the new president and vice president and they are potentially keen on starting a friendship with Sunderland due to the shipyards industry, the origins of Athletic, the red and white stripes, which many believe are linked to Southampton but there is strong evidence to suggest this is incorrect, the passion of the fans and how football runs deep within the city and being able to see this through Sunderland Till I Die.

Would fans be interested in being part of this link?

Here is an unfinished image of what our Bilbao Black Cats branch logo will look like.

Great stuff. I havent got a new member for your branch, but my son and a couple of mates are in Bilbao for a few days from tomorrow. Can you please recommend a bar to watch the Coventry game in - if such a thing exists - even better if there are fellow supporters watching it there. Cheers

Great stuff. I havent got a new member for your branch, but my son and a couple of mates are in Bilbao for a few days from tomorrow. Can you please recommend a bar to watch the Coventry game in - if such a thing exists - even better if there are fellow supporters watching it there. Cheers

Alright mate.

There's only one bar I know of in Bilbao that has sky sports and he's closed this Sunday 🤦

I've been told that perhaps "the Molly Malone" may have sky sports but I don't know if they're open midday Sunday. Says on their website they open at 4pm.

EFL haven't listed their international broadcasting partners for this season so at the moment, there is no Spanish channel showing it .
Are the Bilbao ultras accepting this?

The Herri Norte? They'll be fine

Last edited:
Alright mate.

There's only one bar I know of in Bilbao that has sky sports and he's closed this Sunday 🤦

I've been told that perhaps "the Molly Malone" may have sky sports but I don't know if they're open midday Sunday. Says on their website they open at 4pm.

EFL haven't listed their international broadcasting partners for this season so at the moment, there is no Spanish channel showing it .

The Herri Norte? They'll be fine
Ok mate I’ll pass that on, appreciate your response, cheers!

Back