Bilbao Black Cats / Athletic Club Bilbao

This is all fantastic fun but it's maybe worth mentioning that the only link we have with Athletic Club de Bilbao is our unfaltering loyalty and passion. In terms of genuine common ground I can think of three Spanish clubs we'd share more in common with.
Who you thinking for the three? I'll wager Real Betis Balompie are one of them.

Myself and another Sunderland fan here in Bilbao recently formed an official Sunderland AFC overseas supporters branch called the Bilbao Black Cats.

Our aim is to gradually get more members into the branch and form an official link with Sunderland AFC and Athletic Club Bilbao.

A new president of Athletic Bilbao has recently been elected and one of his visions is to try to get more out of the Athletic Bilbao Basque only philosophy and hopes to do this by forming links/friendships with clubs from around the world as while most football fans around the world know about Athletic and their policy that's about as far as it goes.

I'm friends with someone who is on the electoral board of Athletic and has close ties to the new president and vice president and they are potentially keen on starting a friendship with Sunderland due to the shipyards industry, the origins of Athletic, the red and white stripes, which many believe are linked to Southampton but there is strong evidence to suggest this is incorrect, the passion of the fans and how football runs deep within the city and being able to see this through Sunderland Till I Die.

Would fans be interested in being part of this link?

Here is an unfinished image of what our Bilbao Black Cats branch logo will look like.

Logon or register to see this image
Nice design - like the beret!

So what you're saying is that people aren't really that arsed about sportswashing at all then? Ultimately the football on the pitch comes first?

That basically contradicts everything that has been said on this messageboard for the past however many months. Bit hypocritical of us to point the finger at that lot for turning up and putting money into the Saudi coffers if we'd do exactly the same.

So what you are saying is that if and when Sunderland have to play the Mags at St James we shouldn't go and support our team because we are supporting sportswashing ?......that's a load of nonsense mate

So what you are saying is that if and when Sunderland have to play the Mags at St James we shouldn't go and support our team because we are supporting sportswashing ?......that's a load of nonsense mate

Loads of people on here have been saying since last year that the mags should stop going to their games because that makes them complicit in Saudi sportswashing but now you're saying that if we play them and we fill out the away end up there that wouldn't apply to us?

I think you fail to see the irony in that.

Loads of people on here have been saying since last year that the mags should stop going to their games because that makes them complicit in Saudi sportswashing but now you're saying that if we play them and we fill out the away end up there that wouldn't apply to us?

I think you fail to see the irony in that.

No irony at all mate, …the Mags are directly aligned to Saudi Sportwashing cos they are owned by them…..we are not, neither are Athletic Bilbao, Liverpool, Barnsley and vitually every other club that might HAVE to play there ( they have no other choice ). Should all away fans refuse to attend St James in their objection to sportswashing rather than support their own team and in doing so potentially disadvantage their own club ?
Me ? ….id rather pay my money, support my team ( SAFC, Athletic Bilbao or Stirling Albion ie my favourite Spanish and Scottish teams respectively ) ….and use that opportunity to take protest about their regime and what it stands for as and when the opportunity arises.
Heres a scenario for you……..What would you do if SAFC were in a position to clinch their first Premiership title if they either win or draw their final fixture of the season which happened to be at Newcastle United?

No irony at all mate, …the Mags are directly aligned to Saudi Sportwashing cos they are owned by them…..we are not, neither are Athletic Bilbao, Liverpool, Barnsley and vitually every other club that might HAVE to play there ( they have no other choice ). Should all away fans refuse to attend St James in their objection to sportswashing rather than support their own team and in doing so potentially disadvantage their own club ?
Me ? ….id rather pay my money, support my team ( SAFC, Athletic Bilbao or Stirling Albion ie my favourite Spanish and Scottish teams respectively ) ….and use that opportunity to take protest about their regime and what it stands for as and when the opportunity arises.
Heres a scenario for you……..What would you do if SAFC were in a position to clinch their first Premiership title if they either win or draw their final fixture of the season which happened to be at Newcastle United?

So you're saying supporting your team on the pitch is ultimately more important than whatever goes on off it then? You confirm that with your last sentence which is fair enough. It's as I suspected really so I'm not having a pop at you but the fact that you're more than happy to stick 20 quid directly in the Saudi pot for a meaningless friendly game that doesn't involve Sunderland going for a league title speaks volumes.

Sometimes I wish people would be more honest and admit that the real reason they are against their owners up the road is because they're minted. People wouldn't care less if they were skint or had came out and said they were going to sell off all their assets. In fact we'd be loving it!

This is all fantastic fun but it's maybe worth mentioning that the only link we have with Athletic Club de Bilbao is our unfaltering loyalty and passion. In terms of genuine common ground I can think of three Spanish clubs we'd share more in common with.

Loose ties I know but

Danger and adventure for Tyne and Wear ships’ crews in the Spanish Civil War | Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums Blog

There was also a Basque ship stranded on the Wear during WWII when Bilbao was over-ran by Franco's Italian Fascists in the Spanish Civil War, the parents of a friend of mine met on board at a social. Franco tried to requisition the ship but the High Court ruled against him.
Some Basque children were evacuated during the SCW here and never returned - one of descendants from The East End(?) was in the Echo a few years ago

So you're saying supporting your team on the pitch is ultimately more important than whatever goes on off it then? You confirm that with your last sentence which is fair enough. It's as I suspected really so I'm not having a pop at you but the fact that you're more than happy to stick 20 quid directly in the Saudi pot for a meaningless friendly game that doesn't involve Sunderland going for a league title speaks volumes.

Sometimes I wish people would be more honest and admit that the real reason they are against their owners up the road is because they're minted. People wouldn't care less if they were skint or had came out and said they were going to sell off all their assets. In fact we'd be loving it!
No , im not saying that. If SAFC were Saudi owned then thats different a completely different scenario.
The Mags are the ones that are Saudi owned at is their fans who have the dilemma. A blanket ban of all away support to St James isnt going to change anything which is kinda what you are advocating.
FWIW and to answer your question even though I follow Athletic , I wont be attending their friendly at St James because , as you say, it is a completely meaningless fixture…even though I rarely get the opportunity to see them “live”……but i would not criticise anyone who does go to the game nor would i see it as supporting the NUFC regime.
I will though most likely head into Newcastle on the day of the game to hopefully mingle with the Athletic support as they like us, have a passionate and friendly fanbase

No , im not saying that. If SAFC were Saudi owned then thats different a completely different scenario.
The Mags are the ones that are Saudi owned at is their fans who have the dilemma. A blanket ban of all away support to St James isnt going to change anything which is kinda what you are advocating.
FWIW and to answer your question even though I follow Athletic , I wont be attending their friendly at St James because , as you say, it is a completely meaningless fixture…even though I rarely get the opportunity to see them “live”……but i would not criticise anyone who does go to the game nor would i see it as supporting the NUFC regime.
I will though most likely head into Newcastle on the day of the game to hopefully mingle with the Athletic support as they like us, have a passionate and friendly fanbase

Dress it up how you want. You'd still be stuffing money into the pockets of Newcastle owners and making an excuse from it while at the same time it's a broadly held opinion on here that all Newcastle fans should stop supporting their club after 40, 50 or even 60+ years because of who their new owners are. As if it's a switch that can just be turned off and they're absolute scum if they can't do that.

Missing one game is nowhere near as big a sacrifice as is being expected elsewhere.

Dress it up how you want. You'd still be stuffing money into the pockets of Newcastle owners and making an excuse from it while at the same time it's a broadly held opinion on here that all Newcastle fans should stop supporting their club after 40, 50 or even 60+ years because of who their new owners are. As if it's a switch that can just be turned off and they're absolute scum if they can't do that.

Missing one game is nowhere near as big a sacrifice as is being expected elsewhere.

He's totally missing the point marra.

That’s football fans, though.

For all the faux protesting and feet stamping about the European Super League, there was no reaction anywhere, was there? City fans lapped up winning the league, Liverpool fans lapped up winning loads of games, Arsenal, United and Spurs fans continued to whinge but how many continued their protests about wanting their owners gone? Some United fans but it’s not made a jot of difference.

Myself and another Sunderland fan here in Bilbao recently formed an official Sunderland AFC overseas supporters branch called the Bilbao Black Cats.

Our aim is to gradually get more members into the branch and form an official link with Sunderland AFC and Athletic Club Bilbao.

A new president of Athletic Bilbao has recently been elected and one of his visions is to try to get more out of the Athletic Bilbao Basque only philosophy and hopes to do this by forming links/friendships with clubs from around the world as while most football fans around the world know about Athletic and their policy that's about as far as it goes.

I'm friends with someone who is on the electoral board of Athletic and has close ties to the new president and vice president and they are potentially keen on starting a friendship with Sunderland due to the shipyards industry, the origins of Athletic, the red and white stripes, which many believe are linked to Southampton but there is strong evidence to suggest this is incorrect, the passion of the fans and how football runs deep within the city and being able to see this through Sunderland Till I Die.

Would fans be interested in being part of this link?

Here is an unfinished image of what our Bilbao Black Cats branch logo will look like.

Logon or register to see this image

Love the badge.

😎

Back