Bilbao Black Cats / Athletic Club Bilbao

As long as you wear a red and white Sunderland shirt and sit with the Athletic fans 😉

So as long as we do that we can still put our money into the Saudi coffers and put all this morality to one side for one night only?

As for wearing a Sunderland shirt for a Mag game not involving us, well there's only one set of fans sad enough to go o like that and I didn't think it was us!

Hold on a minute I'm getting totally confused here. So we can drop out morality and outrage at them up the road for one night only and go buy tickets for Newcastle v Bilbao can we?
If we are genuine followers of Athletic, then why not ? …we would be going to see them play which is differenttothe Mags turning up at the SOL to support any side praying we are going to get beat

If we are genuine followers of Athletic, then why not ? …we would be going to see them play which is differenttothe Mags turning up at the SOL to support any side praying we are going to get beat

You'd be putting your money directly into the mags coffers. Loads on here applauding Mainz fans for not wanting to play them and then saying they'd be happy to go along to watch them though. So watching Bilbao play in a meaningless friendly match is more important than people's principles I guess. Makes a bit of a mockery of the mags sportswashing thread on here tbh.

You'd be putting your money directly into the mags coffers. Loads on here applauding Mainz fans for not wanting to play them and then saying they'd be happy to go along to watch them though. So watching Bilbao play in a meaningless friendly match is more important than people's principles I guess. Makes a bit of a mockery of the mags sportswashing thread on here tbh.
If SAFC are drawn to play NUFC at St James in the cup…..then what ?……the away end will sell out….surely that puts money directly in the Mags coffers

If SAFC are drawn to play NUFC at St James in the cup…..then what ?……the away end will sell out….surely that puts money directly in the Mags coffers

So what you're saying is that people aren't really that arsed about sportswashing at all then? Ultimately the football on the pitch comes first?

That basically contradicts everything that has been said on this messageboard for the past however many months. Bit hypocritical of us to point the finger at that lot for turning up and putting money into the Saudi coffers if we'd do exactly the same.

There definitely used to be a little plaque in one of the glass cases in the SoL foyer that acknowledged a link between the clubs.

I used to have a Topical Times Annual from about 1997 that mentioned them getting their stripes from us anarl, as well as Juve getting theirs from Notts County.

My wife, though born in Galicia, was brought up in Bergara, not far from Bilbao, so I've always been a bit of an Athletic fan, especially with the red-and-white stripes, shipbuilding connections and English name, so count me in for any support I can give.
We now live in Geneva and have just got Swiss nationality so my new passport is red and white!!

This is all fantastic fun but it's maybe worth mentioning that the only link we have with Athletic Club de Bilbao is our unfaltering loyalty and passion. In terms of genuine common ground I can think of three Spanish clubs we'd share more in common with.

This is all fantastic fun but it's maybe worth mentioning that the only link we have with Athletic Club de Bilbao is our unfaltering loyalty and passion. In terms of genuine common ground I can think of three Spanish clubs we'd share more in common with.
Even despite the - at least partial - influence in the formation of their club

Myself and another Sunderland fan here in Bilbao recently formed an official Sunderland AFC overseas supporters branch called the Bilbao Black Cats.

Our aim is to gradually get more members into the branch and form an official link with Sunderland AFC and Athletic Club Bilbao.

A new president of Athletic Bilbao has recently been elected and one of his visions is to try to get more out of the Athletic Bilbao Basque only philosophy and hopes to do this by forming links/friendships with clubs from around the world as while most football fans around the world know about Athletic and their policy that's about as far as it goes.

I'm friends with someone who is on the electoral board of Athletic and has close ties to the new president and vice president and they are potentially keen on starting a friendship with Sunderland due to the shipyards industry, the origins of Athletic, the red and white stripes, which many believe are linked to Southampton but there is strong evidence to suggest this is incorrect, the passion of the fans and how football runs deep within the city and being able to see this through Sunderland Till I Die.

Would fans be interested in being part of this link?

Here is an unfinished image of what our Bilbao Black Cats branch logo will look like.

Logon or register to see this image
Sorry mate, I read it as Bilbo as in Baggins:oops: sorry.

Back