Bilbao Black Cats / Athletic Club Bilbao

Class.

If you park at the uni I was parked next to you on Saturday - Athletic Club centenary top on? I was dying to say what a class shirt it was but you were just sitting in the car!

Class.

If you park at the uni I was parked next to you on Saturday - Athletic Club centenary top on? I was dying to say what a class shirt it was but you were just sitting in the car!

Must have been someone else mate. I parked in Roker.

Mark was wearing an Athletic shirt but he came on the metro.

good piece on a Englishmans visit to Bilbao / San Mames

Thanks for sharing this.

We've been told the version of events we have for the origin of Athletic's red and white shirts will be published in a local newspaper either this Sunday or Monday.

That should get the ball rolling and stir interest among others.

Curious fact is that the only reference Athletic have to Southampton regarding the red and white shirts is on their website which was put on years ago. In their museum, they make no mention of Southampton and the red and white shirts. Instead they say they changed because of English influence.

On top of that, in their St George's day nod to English football in a tweet, they mentioned that they wore shirts based on Blackburn Rovers until 1910 but then completely ignore the change to red and white and why 🤔

So, we think they know they're unsure and are waiting for our version.

Thanks for sharing this.

We've been told the version of events we have for the origin of Athletic's red and white shirts will be published in a local newspaper either this Sunday or Monday.

Curious fact is that the only reference Athletic have to Southampton regarding the red and white shirts is on their website which was put on years ago. In their museum, they make no mention of Southampton and the red and white shirts. Instead they say they changed because of English influence.

On top of that, in their St George's day nod to English football in a tweet, they mentioned that they wore shirts based on Blackburn Rovers until 1910 but then completely ignore the change to red and white and why 🤔

:):):););););)

Thanks for sharing this.

I've been in the museum at the Mames and there's an article from the Sunderland echo about a match between English Sailors in the early 1900s, Obviously, the Sailors (maybe shipyard workers) were from Sunderland.

Last edited:
I've been in the museum at the Mames and there's an article from the Sunderland echo about a match between English Sailors in the early 1900s, Obviously, the Sailors (maybe shipyard workers) were from Sunderland.
June 1889. The first football match played in Bilbao between English sailors and miners.

Sailors were from 5 ships. Barmston, Dawdon, Nina, Abydos and the last one the name escapes me. The Nina, Barmston and Dawdon were built and registered in Sunderland, County Durham.

There's also reference to a sports shop opened in 1900. Henry R Murton which had shops in Fawcett Street Sunderland and Grainger Street Newcastle.

All this plus much more is part of our version of events of how Athletic got the red and white shirts and why we believe they were sent from Sunderland and not Southampton
Did Michut nearly smile there or have I had one too many?
Slight smile. He's a nice lad.

Last edited:
Fresh on the shelves in the Basque country this morning

You should be able to get a basic translation in English via Google chrome.

An English version will be coming soon
Fresh on the shelves in the Basque country this morning

You should be able to get a basic translation in English via Google chrome.

An English version will be coming soon

Just realised it's behind a Pay wall. If you register, which is free, you get 5 free articles.

Last edited:

Back