Biggest musical regrets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could have seen Soundgarden a couple of times but assumed I've get another more convenient opportunity.
Stayed at the tent drinking cans at Download 2012 before making our way over for Sabbath.

Stayed towards the back drinking at Hyde park in 2013 before making our way forward for Sabbath. I suppose I got to see/hear them do Black Hole Sun which was all I was really bothered about at the time. Cornell's passing makes me wonder if I might regret not taking more of it in one day - even if I do prefer his time with Audioslave*.

*I'm hoping I don't regret not heading down to Leeds for RATM this summer.

I’ve stopped going to gigs these day, a few pints with the lads on a Friday results in me forgetting hours, a full day on it and going to a gig is pointless.

My last gig was Noel Gallagher in Glasgow, woke up the next morning and last thing I remember was being in a bar about 7:30, didn’t even remember going to the gig, and only knew I was there as someone showed me a photo. And I was about £250 down! Fuck that.
There’s an art to gig drinking. Not too much before, but just enough to loosen up. One I still forget from time to time.

One weekend on the piss in newcastle me and some mates had the chance to see The Climax Blues Band or some unknown American group called Blondie. We chose the CBB as we had heard of them. :cry:
Blondie were awful live back then ,nice view though

Probably Depeche mode for me ,ticked the rest of my boxes .Think they are past their prime for me to bother now
Stayed at the tent drinking cans at Download 2012 before making our way over for Sabbath.

Stayed towards the back drinking at Hyde park in 2013 before making our way forward for Sabbath. I suppose I got to see/hear them do Black Hole Sun which was all I was really bothered about at the time. Cornell's passing makes me wonder if I might regret not taking more of it in one day - even if I do prefer his time with Audioslave*.

One of the few bands around that fits this type of gig ,saw them in the 2008 "comeback" ,nothing better than a sea of bodies going mental

then again you don't like lowping around so maybe not

Last edited:

Hyde Park is one of the times I should have gone. Chose not too based on the price and not being too arsed about Sabbath but looking back £80 or whatever it would have been doesn't seem that much.

Still haven't seen Rage either but always strikes me that it would be full of absolute bellends. Doesn't help that they tend to play places like Reading where the rest of the line up is appalling.

Hyde Park is one of the times I should have gone. Chose not too based on the price and not being too arsed about Sabbath but looking back £80 or whatever it would have been doesn't seem that much.

Still haven't seen Rage either but always strikes me that it would be full of absolute bellends. Doesn't help that they tend to play places like Reading where the rest of the line up is appalling.
Hyde Park's great like. The place was awash with sweaty people dressed in black despite the sweltering summer sun that day. :lol: I was firmly the odd one out in chino shorts and white polo shirt.

:lol: I took that particular high road with The Stone Roses.

There's a core of three of us who tend to go to various gigs, but for Leeds one of the lads can't make it due to work and the fact that both his kids and their lass's birthdays all fall on and around that same weekend, and me other marra simply doesn't fancy it.

Last edited:
Had tickets to see The Cranberries twice and both time Dolores got injured.
I passed up free tickets to see Prince - that one stings.

Blondie were awful live back then ,nice view though

Probably Depeche mode for me ,ticked the rest of my boxes .Think they are past their prime for me to bother now

One of the few bands around that fits this type of gig ,saw them in the 2008 "comeback" ,nothing better than a sea of bodies going mental

then again you don't like lowping around so maybe not
saw depeche more on their last two tours, still absolutely amazing live, if you get the chance definitely go check them out.

Hyde Park's great like. The place was awash with sweaty people dressed in black despite the sweltering summer sun that day. :lol: I was firmly the odd one out in chino shorts and white polo shirt.

:lol: I took that particular high road with The Stone Roses.

There's a core of three of us who tend to go to various gigs, but for Leeds one of the lads can't make it due to work and the fact that both his kids and their lass's birthdays all fall on and around that same weekend, and me other marra simply doesn't fancy it.

I'm still not convinced by Hyde Park, the sound's still too quiet imo. It has improved a lot since the Hyde Park Calling/Olympic Closing Ceremony days though. Really enjoyed Bob and Neil last year and back for Pearl Jam again in July.

I'm at a wedding for Rage this time anyway so can't go. Hopefully they add a London show in the run up.

saw depeche more on their last two tours, still absolutely amazing live, if you get the chance definitely go check them out.
I've umpteen live dvds,they do still have it .I've went all over to see bands and just never got round to it so yes a regret

I'm still not convinced by Hyde Park, the sound's still too quiet imo. It has improved a lot since the Hyde Park Calling/Olympic Closing Ceremony days though. Really enjoyed Bob and Neil last year and back for Pearl Jam again in July.

I'm at a wedding for Rage this time anyway so can't go. Hopefully they add a London show in the run up.
Never had an issue to be honest. I've been there for the Stones, Sabbath, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Tom Petty, Roger Water and Neil Young & Bob Dylan. Love the setup there. Always a great day out. Gutted there's not of interest on this year.

Think I've seen pretty much everybody I could have apart from early American hardcore stuff. Would loved to have seen Black Flag and Bad Brains in their pomp.

Could have seen Soundgarden a couple of times but assumed I've get another more convenient opportunity.

Didn't bother going to see Jetplane Landing in 2004 as it was the day after a-level stand-down and I was hungover. Left it too late to get tickets when they came back in 2013.

Would have loved to have seen Beastie Boys but don't remember it ever being a real possibility.

Jetplane? Wow. :eek:

Fair play to you.

Last edited:
:lol:

A couple of years ago we were in Osbourne's in Durham one Saturday afternoon and naturally I'd hijacked the jukebox as soon as we got there. I had this fat wife absolutely raging as all 12 minutes of The End by The Doors was playing out. "What the hell's this shit. This is a disgrace this like. Who the fuck's put this on." The pig faced f***ing bitch. I was pissing mesell laughing at her by the time When The Music's Over came on next. :lol:

Two songs, 22 minutes, on irate fat bitch - got me money's worth there like. :lol:

Should've put Metal Machine Music on as you left. All of it.

Had tickets to see XTC at the City Hall.

Andy Partridge used to get really bad stage fright and they ended up cancelling the rest of the tour. Don't think he played live much at all after that.

was that around 80/81??
I was there for that one and to this day it’s the best sound I’ve ever experienced live.
I pretty much saw all of my heroes back in the day but have never seen Wilko Johnson live even though I’ve seen Dr Feelgood in numerous incarnations.
Biggest regret with hindsight is that I never saw Bob Marley.
Had tickets to see XTC at the City Hall.

Andy Partridge used to get really bad stage fright and they ended up cancelling the rest of the tour. Don't think he played live much at all after that.

I was a huge Wonder Stuff fan but couldn't go to their original farewell show at Phoenix in the mid 90s - had a holiday in Spain booked and was flying out that night. Flight was delayed and spent that night in a hotel at Gatwick airport
Got selected in the ballot for a Springsteen on Broadway show but didn’t take it as it was going to be a very costly trip. Should have just whacked the once in a lifetime opportunity on a credit card and went.
Lived in New Jersey and tried to get a Bruce ticket for his On Broadway show but failed. Later found out that someone on the SMB had access to one but didn't bother going when I'd have taken it. Wasn't happy about it. :evil:;)

Last edited:
Lived in New Jersey and tried to get a Bruce ticket for his On Broadway show but failed. Later found out that someone on the SMB had access to one but didn't bother going when I'd have taken it. Wasn't happy about it. :evil:;)

ah shit sorry mate. If only I knew.
Thing is when I applied I didn’t realise the huge demand there’d be. I naively thought because he’s doing hundreds of shows it’d be fine.
when I sat down and watched the Netflix ‘on broadway’ show, I was just shaking my head in utter disbelief that I didn’t go and see it firsthand. It’s easily the best live gig / documentary I’ve seen.
Another two of mine both happened during a trip to New York in 2008.

First day we got there we’d had full day / night out until tiredness hit the better of us and we had to call it a night. Walking home we saw a small venue with the Proclaimers playing that night. As huge fans we really wanted to go in but I was dead on my feet. I should have just gone in and downed a double and cracked on.

then, 2 days later and day before we were going home we visited Maddison sq garden. When we got there there were posters up advertising the Verve the day after we went home. Wish I had of stayed an extra day and gone as MSG for a gig has always been a bucket list venue.

Last edited:
Had tickets to Pavement at Brixton (2009 possibly?) but my ex-girlfriend did my head in that much I didn't bother going with her. Hoping to get to Primavera this summer.

was that around 80/81??
I was there for that one and to this day it’s the best sound I’ve ever experienced live.
I pretty much saw all of my heroes back in the day but have never seen Wilko Johnson live even though I’ve seen Dr Feelgood in numerous incarnations.
Biggest regret with hindsight is that I never saw Bob Marley.
It was 82

Waiting my whole life to see Bruce Spingsteen, and when he shows up on my doorstep I get that pissed along with the old man to remember a thing.

I’m blaming @Ghandi Floss for this, and I know my mam does for getting the old man in the state he was.

Hahahahahahaha. I’d like to say I have fond memories of said evening, alas, I barely have any at all.
Do you think your Mam will ever lift your Dad’s ban of drinking with us again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back