Best writer you’ve ever read

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

I might have finally cracked him. Was laughing when reading Merry Wives of Windsor:lol:

Started at the Tempest and going to work my way through over the next few years.

I read Tempest because I picked up Hagseed (Margaret Atwood) in a charity shop.
I considered choosing, Nabokov, Eliot, Tolstoy etc- but Nah, I don’t think anyone comes close to Shakespeare.
Merry Wives and Cymbeline are the only two I haven’t read or seen. My personal favourites are Julius Caesar and Othello. I’d recommend you watch the BBC adaptation also, probably get it on YouTube. Enjoy.

I considered choosing, Nabokov, Eliot, Tolstoy etc- but Nah, I don’t think anyone comes close to Shakespeare.
Merry Wives and Cymbeline are the only two I haven’t read or seen. My personal favourites are Julius Caesar and Othello. I’d recommend you watch the BBC adaptation also, probably get it on YouTube. Enjoy.
I'm going to read them chronologically and see how I get on.

He is mental
His Mrs is good value on twitter. Does an alternative counter culture “on this day” type thing. Writes half a page or so about someone non famous in a counter culture world. Hippy, punk, beatnik, druggy, politics etc etc both eng Lang and forrin. Some are a bit meh but others have you diggin around on google looking for more.

One of my favourite authors is the former miner and Guardian columnist Sid Chaplin, who was among the finest English writers of his generation. His collections of short stories such as The Thin Seam and The Leaping Lad, about County Durham and life in the pit villages in the early decades of the twentieth century, are an absolute joy to read. They've been out of print for years, but a large selection from them recently appeared in an anthology of his work called Hame: My Durham.

Logon or register to see this image

Another favourite author of mine, The Old Man And The Sea is a work of genius that rightly earned him a Pulitzer Prize and a Nobel. I've read it many times, even though fuck-all happens in the book.

Areet chief, your inbox is full.

Granda loved "Hame". Been looking for the other ones mentioned, found a reasonably priced "In Blackberry Time" copy but "The Thin Seam" and "The Leaping Lad" are a bit out of my price range.
Do you have any other recommendations by Chaplin, or any other of a similar subject?

Cheers.:cool:

Areet chief, your inbox is full.

Granda loved "Hame". Been looking for the other ones mentioned, found a reasonably priced "In Blackberry Time" copy but "The Thin Seam" and "The Leaping Lad" are a bit out of my price range.
Do you have any other recommendations by Chaplin, or any other of a similar subject?

Cheers.:cool:

Great hear that he enjoyed it mate.

I've just looked on Abe and I'm surprised at the prices, I've got half a dozen of his books which I picked up for a couple of quid each over the years. I was in Newcastle last week and saw one of his books at the Amnesty bookshop for fifteen quid, and I thought it was just them being robbing twats.

You should definitely buy 'In Blackberry Time', especially for three quid, in my opinion it's a much better collection than 'Hame'. The other two books mentioned are also well worth having, if they ever come up on Abe at a reasonable price. They're more specifically about the mining communities, which is what I think he was best at writing about, 'The Thin Seam' was the book that got me into him.

It’ll be one of the science fiction classic writers; silverberg, leguin or Philip k dick. In my youth I read quite a bit of William Burroughs but it nearly tipped me over the edge. He was off his head on drugs when he wrote some of his books and it shows.

The naked lunch by Burroughs was made into a film. Weird.

Last edited:
It’ll be one of the science fiction classic writers; silverberg, leguin or Philip k dick. In my youth I read quite a bit of William Burroughs but it nearly tipped me over the edge. He was off his head on drugs when he wrote some of his books and it shows.
Dick's a great storyteller but his writing's canny trashy.
I love some Silverberg books but again he can be incredibly crass.

Aye well, considering they’re millionaires, have written a combined 300 books and are legends I doubt they’re bothered by our critiques tbf.
Dick was a paranoid speed freak mentalist who's been deed for over 30 years like but aye. Just trying to have a discussion like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back