Best writer you’ve ever read

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Loved Julian cope's books he was an absolute nutter but LH's put downs and general demeanour were utterly brilliant. Hardly knew his band but listening to his solo stuff and it is brilliant.

His solo stuff is terrific and his bands were all terrific as well. It always makes me laugh that he thought a concept album about the Baader Meinhof group could be commercially successful!

The Faraway Tree. Forgot all about that. Loved them.

The imagination some of these writers have is amazing. I remember reading Roald Dahl James and the Giant Peach as a kid,along with some of his other work. They were brilliantly unique and original stories that really fired my young imagination,and painted such vivid mind pictures that I felt I was there,living the story. Genius.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Friends of Eddie Coyle is outstanding, in my opinion. I also like New York Trilogy by Paul Auster & Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

I like several of Elmore Leonard's, especially his short stories. James Elroy is pretty good too in the crime genre. American Tabloid is particularly interesting.
Georges Simenon is well worth investigating. His output was remarkable.
His son Peter Leonard’s not bad either. Though he must feel a bit like Paul Dalglish tbh.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is outstanding, in my opinion. I also like New York Trilogy by Paul Auster & Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

I like several of Elmore Leonard's, especially his short stories. James Elroy is pretty good too in the crime genre. American Tabloid is particularly interesting.
Georges Simenon is well worth investigating. His output was remarkable.
Eddie Coyles his finest moment.
Pagan Babies, Bandits and Swag are Elmore’s three claims for immortality. Tarantino used up his first few pay cheques from Reservoir Dogs buying up all Elmore’s unsold film rights and apparently spent his only time in the cells after being caught shoplifting one of his novels the day it was released.

Eddie Coyles his finest moment.
Pagan Babies, Bandits and Swag are Elmore’s three claims for immortality. Tarantino used up his first few pay cheques from Reservoir Dogs buying up all Elmore’s unsold film rights and apparently spent his only time in the cells after being caught shoplifting one of his novels the day it was released.
Ha ha, brilliant. I've read Swag & Pagan Babies but not Bandits. I've also got an old second hand copy of a book of his short stories called When the Women Came Out to Dance which is rather good. I've also read his western short stories: even though that's not a genre that usually interests me, I made an exception for his & wasn't disappointed.

He walks a similar beat subject wise. Small time crooks n scam artists but his characters dont seem as funny or cool. I believe he and his dads old researcher are attempting to finish off the one Elmore was working on when he died.
Often imitated, never equalled.

If you like unusual stuff, I can recommend 13 Stories & 13 Epitaphs by William T Vollmann, a much underrated writer, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The imagination some of these writers have is amazing. I remember reading Roald Dahl James and the Giant Peach as a kid,along with some of his other work. They were brilliantly unique and original stories that really fired my young imagination,and painted such vivid mind pictures that I felt I was there,living the story. Genius.

The brilliant thing with Roald Dahl is/was that his books and short stories aimed at adults were/are just as imaginative.

I might have finally cracked him. Was laughing when reading Merry Wives of Windsor:lol:

Started at the Tempest and going to work my way through over the next few years.

I read Tempest because I picked up Hagseed (Margaret Atwood) in a charity shop.
Steady, Harry, la. Nee one cracks Shakespeare, not even Shakespeare, ha ha. Have fun on your journey.

My previous attempts

To be or not to be hey nonny nonny no no nonny nonny .........

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows hey nonny nonny no no nonny nonny no no.........
After you've deliberated, cogitated & digested, perhaps you could come up with a terrace chant in the style of an Elizabethan lute song, or perhaps a madrigal? It's Much Ado About Nowt but it might just work.

i read a lot of James Herbert when I was younger. The Rats still makes my skin crawl. Nowadays i tend to read autobiographies and historical stuff related to WW2.
The wife recommends John Grisham

Back