Best writer you’ve ever read

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date

James Herbert is class like.

was a favourite of mine back in the 80s... always thought more of his books would have made great films (the few that were made ended up sub standard)… on saying that, best ever writer for me is Homer, but no coincidence that nobody has ever made a worthy film of any of his works?

Ian Fleming books were great back in the 60s or 70s (cold war period) ... a bit dated now

Also, back in the 80s a popular writer was bloke called Eric van Lustbader … he changed his name or dropped the van part to become Eric Lustbader by the 00s and ended up writing all the new Jason Bourne scripts! (Ludlum had since passed away) - and when it comes to screen versions of bestselling books... the first version of Bourne Identity starred Richard Chamberlain (Thorn Birds fame) as Jason Bourne! :eek: :lol:

Recent writers that impressed me... Christopher Brookmyre (during the 00's) and discovered Philip Roth several years ago

Lee Childs - Jack Reacher novels
If you said I would read and reread books about an ex US Marine MP who doesn't pretty much the same thing in all the books, I would have said never, however, they are so readable and I'll keep on with any more he does.
BTW - Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher in the movies, in the book he's a 'giant' of a man, Hank Williams is taller than Tom Cruise!! Don't mind TC but not as Jack Reacher.

Apparently I've already posted but I can't remember what I said.

For best writer I'd say John Keats. Ode to a Nightingale is the greatest piece of literature on the English language.

Back