Best writer you’ve ever read

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lee Childs - Jack Reacher novels
If you said I would read and reread books about an ex US Marine MP who doesn't pretty much the same thing in all the books, I would have said never, however, they are so readable and I'll keep on with any more he does.
BTW - Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher in the movies, in the book he's a 'giant' of a man, Hank Williams is taller than Tom Cruise!! Don't mind TC but not as Jack Reacher.
He stopped early this year and his brother is taking up the mantle.

Jose Saramago
I had a bit of a Saramago thing going on recently. First I read The Gospel According to Jesus Christ and loved it, then I read Blindness, which was ok, then I read The History of the Siege of Lisbon which again I really enjoyed, then I read The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis and concluded he was a bit of a creep with a strange attitude to women. Left it there.

If you said I would read and reread books about an ex US Marine MP who doesn't pretty much the same thing in all the books, I would have said never, however, they are so readable and I'll keep on with any more he does.
BTW - Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher in the movies, in the book he's a 'giant' of a man, Hank Williams is taller than Tom Cruise!! Don't mind TC but not as Jack Reacher.
Love these. Always fly through them.
If you like a good horror then try Richard Laymon, I'm sure @Chappers would agree anarl.
Amen to that. Also, the closest I've come to someone like him is Jeff menapace who is absolute quality.

Last edited:
Best writers in terms of style - Chandler, Fitzgerald, Hemingway. I've read them over and over again.

And a mentioned in despatches for Jeremy Clarkson - some of his articles are quite beautifully written, whatever one may think of the content.

imo books take up too much space. end up gathering dust then going to a charity shop where they've got very little value or don’t even make it to display.

Not exactly high brow but I've enjoyed very few book series more than Colin Bateman's mystery man books.

Douglas Adams normally gets me laughing too.
Turns out my mam is quite the fan, and absolutely lost her shit when they cast him, she was full on shouting down the phone... HE'S A BLOODY MIDGET, JACK REACHER IS SIX FOOT FOUR, I was quite taken aback. She hasn't watched the film 😂

Last edited:
Jose Saramago

I went to Saramago's house on Lanzarote a couple of years after he died. Everything had been meticulously preserved - his glasses were still on the bedside table. The tour ends in his kitchen, where you're invited to have a coffee at the table at which he always entertained guests (though as I've mentioned in another thread, I don't drink coffee). His widow was around the day I was there, which made it all the more moving. She has co-billing in a great documentary about him, Jose and Pilar.

I went to Saramago's house on Lanzarote a couple of years after he died. Everything had been meticulously preserved - his glasses were still on the bedside table. The tour ends in his kitchen, where you're invited to have a coffee at the table at which he always entertained guests (though as I've mentioned in another thread, I don't drink coffee). His widow was around the day I was there, which made it all the more moving. She has co-billing in a great documentary about him, Jose and Pilar.

Sounds intense.

Thanks for the link, mate, I haven't seen that, will give it a watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back