Best time to hand in your resignation

Last time I did it, I had a two day client meeting and about ten hours in the car with MD. I then called my manager and resigned the next day.

Was horrible sitting in the car all that time without saying anything. I wanted to do it right though and let my manager know first as he was a good bloke.
Brutal that mind
Which bit?

Last time I did it, I had a two day client meeting and about ten hours in the car with MD. I then called my manager and resigned the next day.

Was horrible sitting in the car all that time without saying anything. I wanted to do it right though and let my manager know first as he was a good bloke.

Which bit?

Being hoyed out on the spot

8 weeks for me. 12 not uncommon here either.

We recently got moved from 4 to 12 weeks notice as part of a contract and benefits review. On one hand it's more protection in the case of redundancy but it does mean that you need your next employer to be willing to wait for you for 3 months.

Compare this to the US where there is no notice period at all from either side, though it is polite to give your boss a week or two that you are leaving.

Last time I handed mine in was just as I was logging out breaking up for Xmas via email. I had 2 weeks holiday to take which were already in well in advance and the 2 week shut down. Probably a bit of a shit trick to do, but they were tossers.

Morning or just before you leave for the day

Via email it will be..

Morning get it over and done with or late afternoon and wait and let them ponder
When you finish on the day exactly the notice period. I have bottled mine and just sent an email as notice. Hitachi was easy because that was a big corp, just an email will do no need for a chat or anything. I found my last place hard as it was a small company, I really enjoyed it and got on well with everyone. I bottled the sit down chat for days until I was 6 days away from my new job start date. I was absolutely shitting it but they were understanding, didn't get a counteroffer the bastard's and got someone in a few month later, if they gave me the job they advertised I would have stayed 😂

Last edited:
Well I suppose as POD says it was just a filler job, but I’d still be annoyed at that kind of treatment.
7 months or 7 years aye. 7 weeks, fuck him… He’d probably just got out of his training.

My brother got bladdered before lunch time on his first day for asking to go for a tab after his first few hours.

We also had a lad at my old, old place who was getting balddered. As they sat him down and before they’d told him another manager walked in with his coat and box of belongings. 😂

Nah this is a perm role and going to a other perm.. only been here 8 months but the role isn't as sold and my manager is a.....
I worked for a sociopath and when I got a new job I resigned by email, switched my phone off and went to the match. When I turned my phone on I had 20+ missed calls from him.

For my works leaving do I had colleagues flying in from all over EMEA as our CIO was in town for a town hall and my gaffer was going out with him for dinner instead of on my leaving do. One of the lads asked me for my works phone on the night and that was the last I saw of it...everyone was using it to text abuse to my gaffer all night while he was with the CIO.

I worked for a sociopath and when I got a new job I resigned by email, switched my phone off and went to the match. When I turned my phone on I had 20+ missed calls from him.

For my works leaving do I had colleagues flying in from all over EMEA as our CIO was in town for a town hall and my gaffer was going out with him for dinner instead of on my leaving do. One of the lads asked me for my works phone on the night and that was the last I saw of it...everyone was using it to text abuse to my gaffer all night while he was with the CIO.
I’ve worked for five different companies and never yet had a leaving do. They must think I’m a **** too. 😂

If you have been well treated by the company/owner (apart from your manager) why not print the letter out and hand it to them personally. Looks way more professional.

small world and you might cross paths again .

Last edited:
Nah this is a perm role and going to a other perm.. only been here 8 months but the role isn't as sold and my manager is a.....
fair play, I pied a job after 2 1/2 hours under similar circumstances.
Sysadmin v field engineer and a list the length of your arm of processes with 'failure to follow this will be a disciplinary matter' including expecting unpaid OT

Im her only report and she has a right power trip with it.

Told a couple lads who I deal with and they all say ..sad to see you go but dont blame you

I didn't speak to her for 10 days . Not even a teams message . She was in the office same day as me and she barely acknowledged I was there..

She sits on the floor where senior management are based when we are in.. rest if us in IT congregate in the same area

I was moved to another department in the store, without any prior warning, while my colleagues who had a terrible work attitude, kept their jobs.

I handed in my notice, as I was about to start my next shift.

The store manager was shocked and advised me not to do something I might regret (like handing in my notice)
I then told her, my only regret was to be too bloody conscientious, and too reliable, and if I'd took the piss and had many days on the sick and turned up late for work, like a lot of my colleagues had done, then I might still be doing the job I enjoyed doing, instead of looking for a new start, elsewhere.

I'm now employed with another company and work with better, hard working colleagues who all pull their weight, and the work I do, is appreciated by my store manager.

Back