best sausages you can buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pickings butchers in Boldon. The bloke has won the biggest national sausagemaking competition several times. He does a big variety so go and have a look. He used to do a merguez years ago that was fantastic but stopped unfortunately. He does a fairly similar beef/garlic sausage which is good but he has a fantastic selection. It's worth a trip. He does proper Angus aged beef too.

Shop bought wise the co-op do a brand called Heck, 97% pork, the king of supermarket sausage IMO.

Butchers wise an honourable mention has to go to Stirks Paolo di Canio sausage, loved them bad lads.
McMurchies at Hetton do some good gear also, changes it up regularly.

Just get the Sainsbury's branded ones me, absolutely nowt wrong with them actually they're pretty good quality
I wouldn't generally recommend supermarket own brand stuff but their Taste The Difference Cumberland and Lincolnshire sausages are excellent.
Butcher in Keswick does cracking Cumberland ones as well.

has to be the richmond irish recipe for me, great taste and nobody kicking off about "bits" at the table. whats your favourite?
I don't mind Richmond. My favorite are Lincolnshire sausages or just fresh breakfast sausages from the local butchers.

I suppose if you have been brought up in a household where money is tight and Richmond sausages were the ones that fitted the budget, you would grow up to love the taste. I didn't grow up in that situation, but our lass buys frozen Richmond thick pork sausages to fry up for the dogs for a treat, and I must admit that some of the aromas coming off the sossies are quite tempting. However on tasting the finished product, all illusions are quickly dispelled. They are simply slightly spiced MRM (mechanically recovered meat) slurry tubes with as much rusk in as MRM. Which is fair enough, if they are are sold at a budget price. Unfortunately, they are not. For what they are, they are bloody expensive and shite value for money.

Just to add, Richmond sossies are produced by Kerryfoods, who a couple of years ago acquired the Walls brand. Wall's sossies were a canny brand, but guess what? They are now almost the exact same recipe as Richmond, just rebranded as Walls.

Bastards.

Black Farmer Sausages are very nice

Black Farmer sossies are so good that I started to yearn for some filth from Richmond!! You can get too much of a good thing and need grounding now and then.

Last edited:
Depends on the butchers. Our lass (no) used to work in a butchers and what she told me about the sausages scared me :eek:
The idea that local butchers are always superior is a fallacy. They are all businessmen wanting to make profit as much as a supermarket. Some do this by focussing on quality, others by cutting corners. Seen my local butcher getting chicken breasts out of supermarket packaging and putting it in his display.
Rarely had anything poor from a farm shop.

Cranstons, Cocklakes farm shop and Thomasons Butchers in Keswick all do superb Cumberland.
Locally Pickings (as mentioned a couple of times above) and gordons in East Boldon both do a good range--I especially like their Pork and Black pudding ones done in a hot pot over the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back