Best over the counter sleeping pills

Always slept like shite. Working shifts obviously helps. Can anyone recommend some pills that actually work plz.
Try kalms or nytol at first, hopefully they will work for for while or at least until you build up a tolerance.

If those dont work try Phenergan (Promethazine), its essentially a antihistamine but can be used to aid sleep too. Can buy it OTC.

Try kalms or nytol at first, hopefully they will work for for while or at least until you build up a tolerance.

If those dont work try Phenergan (Promethazine), its essentially a antihistamine but can be used to aid sleep too. Can buy it OTC.
Is phenargan also known as sominex?

Nytol, sominex used to work for me but not so much in recent years

Posted this before but a couple years ago I had a doctor telephone appointment as was desperate.

I'll prescribe blah blah - thinking yessss blah blah sounds like a proper drug name.....gutted at the pharmacist and it was a box of sominex

And could have bought Boots own brand for about £3 instead of the prescription charge

Herbal ones do nowt for me

If those dont work try Phenergan (Promethazine), it’s essentially an antihistamine but can be used to aid sleep too. Can buy it OTC.
They are all sedating antihistamines. We won’t sell Phenergan, seems to be the one most abused. I use Piriton for my dermatitis but only as a last resort as I know how sleepy it makes me.

Last edited:
Yes and some pharmacies do sell it we just never have
Is that just a decision made by the pharmacist then or on guidance / advice? My GP has mentioned Promethazine to me before a few times and i know plenty of people who take to to help with their sleep so it does seem to be rife. Im actually yet to try it to be honest have just been persisting with the kalms / nytol but they just dont really do it anymore thesedays.

Is that just a decision made by the pharmacist then or on guidance / advice? My GP has mentioned Promethazine to me before a few times and i know plenty of people who take to to help with their sleep so it does seem to be rife. Im actually yet to try it to be honest have just been persisting with the kalms / nytol but they just dont really do it anymore thesedays.
A bit of all three. I’m trying to word this carefully, children who don’t sleep can be very difficult for parents and sometimes otc products can be used without much thought.
We do get prescriptions for it but at least that’s under the care of a GP. If I were you I would give it a bash to see if it helps

There are other things you should do to help your sleep. Most sleeping pills do more harm than good in the long run.

If you do need to use the odd pill, to help with shift changes etc then your best bet is buying promethazine online and using it sparingly.
This. My position wasn’t comparable to the OP, but I made dietary changes about 24 months ago and have slept perfectly since. Prior to that was a crap sleeper and did use over the counter medication to help, in time my body just got used to them and they had little impact.

A bit of all three. I’m trying to word this carefully, children who don’t sleep can be very difficult for parents and sometimes otc products can be used without much thought.
We do get prescriptions for it but at least that’s under the care of a GP. If I were you I would give it a bash to see if it helps

Thanks Amber. Im in a bit of a tricky spot as ive got a neck injury at the moment and have done for a long, long time. Started physio for it 8 months ago but it just isnt helping at all. At the moment im getting 3 -4 hours of broken sleep a night so find myself drinking often to at least get 6 to 7 hours, however that is obviously bad quality sleep and is inevitably having a knock on effect anyway.

Going back to the physio to ask for a scan on Monday so hopefully theres light at the end of the tunnel, think ill bite the bullet and give the Promethazine a go in the interim as i feel mentally blank 24/7 lately.

Thanks Amber. Im in a bit of a tricky spot as ive got a neck injury at the moment and have done for a long, long time. Started physio for it 8 months ago but it just isnt helping at all. At the moment im getting 3 -4 hours of broken sleep a night so find myself drinking often to at least get 6 to 7 hours, however that is obviously bad quality sleep and is inevitably having a knock on effect anyway.

Going back to the physio to ask for a scan on Monday so hopefully theres light at the end of the tunnel, think ill bite the bullet and give the Promethazine a go in the interim as i feel mentally blank 24/7 lately.
Oh that sounds awful ☹️
I’d definitely try the promethazine, your GP seems to think it’s worth a try and is happy to prescribe it for you. You can’t keep on the way you are and I’d rather be taking that then having to drink to get some sleep. I really hope you get sorted.

Oh that sounds awful ☹️
I’d definitely try the promethazine, your GP seems to think it’s worth a try and is happy to prescribe it for you. You can’t keep on the way you are and I’d rather be taking that then having to drink to get some sleep. I really hope you get sorted.
Thank you!

Back