Best live act?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The most painful gig I've ever been to was Motorhead at Hammersmith. It was so loud my ears felt like they were nearly bleeding and the bass was giving me heart palpitations. I had to get out of the main room and stand in the lobby/bar area to listen and it was still too loud. Despite this, Lemmy the deaf bastard kept telling the sound engineer to turn it UP! At the end of the gig, the daft cock leaned his bass up against his amp so that it would feed back and turned all the knobs on his amp all the way up as he walked offstage, leaving this stupidly loud feedback playing just to torture everyone one last time.

There's loud, there's too loud, and then there's so loud it can actually give you permanent ear damage. Lemmy seemed determined to make his entire crowd permanently deaf.

Back in the early eighties I had to walk out of a German exam the morning after seeing Motörhead, I couldn't hear a f***ing thing apart from the ringing in my ears.

When I worked for EMI we used to get free gig tickets for bands signed to EMI/Virgin. I got tickets to Beastie Boys and Lenny Kravitz playing the same venue - Wembley Arena - within about a week of each other. Beastie Boys I really wanted to see, Kravitz I wasn't bothered about but as it was free and some mates were going I thought sod it, I'll go.

Beastie Boys were OK but nothing special. The next week Kravitz absolutely blew my mind. Ludicrously good live show and the guy really knows how to get a crowd going.

At that early gig there must have been a couple of hundred people tops, he was all Flying V, dreadlocks, flares and a power three piece. He was mindblowingly good.

Just watching George Michael live in London and what a performer he is, up there with the King for me, who would you say? Freddie was always class and Jeff Lynn in Hyde park was superb, anyone better or as good as these in your opinion?

DMA's, simply for the vocals. You won't hear a better voice live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back