Best live act?

Curved Air at the Mayfair, was stoned like so..... Some that stick in the memory were The Who, Ten Years After and Zep with special mention for Humble Pie / Peter Frampton gig at Newcastle Odean. Worst, Judas Priest.

When I worked for EMI we used to get free gig tickets for bands signed to EMI/Virgin. I got tickets to Beastie Boys and Lenny Kravitz playing the same venue - Wembley Arena - within about a week of each other. Beastie Boys I really wanted to see, Kravitz I wasn't bothered about but as it was free and some mates were going I thought sod it, I'll go.

Beastie Boys were OK but nothing special. The next week Kravitz absolutely blew my mind. Ludicrously good live show and the guy really knows how to get a crowd going.
I saw Kravitz open for Aerosmith at Wembley Stadium. he was dressed all in white as were all his band including the incredible Cindy Blackmon on drums. They looked fantastic and sounded even better. I have never seen a support act control a crowd in such a way. It was a mesmerising performance and everything that an exciting Rock show should be.

Rush for me.....magical (were),
Voted the best live band by fellow musicians thus must be doing something right.
Love that band. Such a shame we won`t see them on tour again. They never, ever disappointed live and each tours setlist was radically different to the one before and they were never afraid to play a big chunk of their latest album on each tour either unlike many bands.

Unlistenable. :lol:
His voice sounds like a Labrador full of helium plugged into the mains.

:lol:

I understand that too. The rest of my family can`t stand Rush and I get that. They are one of those bands you either love or hate, there`s no middle ground.

I've seen all of my favourites live, most of them more than once. Daryl Hall and John Oates and their band are the finest musicians I've seen.
The best concert I've been to was George Benson at Sheffield Arena some years ago. Marty Pellow was on first and he had loads of young lasses screaming and dancing from the off. I said to our lass poor old George would have his work cut out.
It was a breeze, he came on and blew everyone away.The whole place was dancing, what a voice and what a guitar player. His version of Unchained Melody and Greatest Love of All had me in tears.
A true star.
he was true class at The Sage last year. A suoer Soulful voice and an incredible ability to mix Jazz, Blues, Soul, Funk and Pop together

Kiss set the standard
And @cluffy comes in with the correct answer. Still one of the best live shows I`ve seen and a great 2 hours of pure escapism. Cheesy yes, but a lot of fun

Last edited:
I`ll also have to chip in with Alice Cooper. I`ve seen him on most tours since the mid-`80`s and he`s never been less than brilliant.
In Leeds in November he surpassed himself. Not only did his current band absolutely hammer it for the main set, full of energy with a great image to boot but the extended encores featuring the 3 surviving members of the original band playing in the UK for the first time in over 40 years was a real highlight. Seeing 2 drummers, 4 guitarists and 2 bassists and Alice himself for the final, final encore of School`s Out was incredible. How they took a much loved but overplayed classic and turned in such a tight, invigorating performance, giving it a new lease of life with a snippet of the Hollywood Vampire`s version that includes Another Brick In The Wall was utterly brilliant.

The Cure are amazing live. They have been known to play some marathon sets 3 hours plus regularly. At a gig in Uruguay on Robert Smith's birthday a few years ago they played for 4 and a quarter hours :cool:

That's close but it's the afternoon.

Get your gig review spreadsheets out Dave. We want answers.
I’m always mortal at gigs so I remember very little for review purposes. I saw the Manics in the summer and I can only remember them playing two songs.
But at the moment for sheer euphoria I can’t see beyond Frank Turner. I’ve never been to gigs where the whole crowd seem to be singing along to every song and nobody is hanging around being too cool for school. Plus loads of audience participation, him singing in the crowd etc.
I’d much rather experience that and feel I’ve been involved than stand watching someone play a note-perfect virtuoso show.

Unlistenable. :lol:
His voice sounds like a Labrador full of helium plugged into the mains.

I want to laugh along with this, but sadly I have no idea what Rush sound like.

Edit: Just YouTubed them. You’re right.
However, they are disqualified from the great live band competition as the audience seem to be standing still and clapping.

Last edited:
I’m always mortal at gigs so I remember very little for review purposes. I saw the Manics in the summer and I can only remember them playing two songs.
But at the moment for sheer euphoria I can’t see beyond Frank Turner. I’ve never been to gigs where the whole crowd seem to be singing along to every song and nobody is hanging around being too cool for school. Plus loads of audience participation, him singing in the crowd etc.
I’d much rather experience that and feel I’ve been involved than stand watching someone play a note-perfect virtuoso show.

I want to laugh along with this, but sadly I have no idea what Rush sound like.

Back