Best fish & chips you've had?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fish and chips were once my favourite dish. Since they have gone over to some sort of oil, my taste for them has gone. Insipid, tasteless and sloppy now. The best ones I eat are from Bar Blur in South Shields, beer battered, it replaces a lot of the taste and crispiness that was lost. Morrison’s sell beer battered Frozen Cod/Haddock and that too is crispy and tasty.

No such thing as a good “ chipper “ in Scotland. Butterfly fillets cooked in fat which has pies, pizzas, haggis , white and red puddings cooked in it.
Fish and chip shop in Dollar, Stirlingshire. Sit in cafe, made fresh to order, they were superb
The Barley Mow chippy in Birtley
Which one? The one in the middle of the estate opposite Shadon House, or the one on Durham Road?

Last edited:
No such thing as a good “ chipper “ in Scotland. Butterfly fillets cooked in fat which has pies, pizzas, haggis , white and red puddings cooked in it.
They're better now than when I was a kid . They nearly always used whiting block fish in Edinburgh . They were expensive anarl .

Reactions: ozz
Good shout.

York Road chip shop in Birtley is a favourite of mine. Always cook their fish to order, either battered or in breadcrumbs. The Cod skewers are worth getting as well.
IT WAS a great shop- he was a bit mental and had a savage dog.
Best for me, Polar Bites in Kirkcudbright.
Close second, Golden Fish Inn, Delves Lane, Consett.

Salt, vinegar, then salt again.
the one on Delves was a Sunley shop before the Golden Fish Inn got it and it was superb then

Fish and chips were once my favourite dish. Since they have gone over to some sort of oil, my taste for them has gone. Insipid, tasteless and sloppy now. The best ones I eat are from Bar Blur in South Shields, beer battered, it replaces a lot of the taste and crispiness that was lost. Morrison’s sell beer battered Frozen Cod/Haddock and that too is crispy and tasty.
After reading this thread I said I fancied fish and chips, my lass mentioned Bar Blue is meant to be good for them, think I'll try it at the weekend 👍

Hate to say it but the Magpie Fish and Chip Shop in Whitby is as good as any I've been in.
it is undeniably a very good fish and chip shop.
Whitby is in for one big wake up call when Papas open there this year.
The place will be immaculate, the staff will be superb, the surroundings will be beautiful and the fish and chips will be very good. The prices however will be fantastic ! They will be almost half of the Magpie and probably 1/3 less than most of them. Does Great meal deals as well, and i do not supply them ! They are good for the fish and chip business though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back