Best fish & chips you've had?

Not the ones ive just had from Clayton St Chippy. Specifically asked for cod and it tasted of nothing. It’ll have been ‘Fish & Chips‘ no doubt ergo Pangasius. Useless, robbing mag bastards.

Well we've had a static caravan down at sunny Crimdon for a lot of years now and Bradley's in Blackhall Rocks was always the "go to " fish shop (think they may have been related to the Bradley's of Peterlee motor dealer's?) Then Cod on the Rocks, just a few yards down from Bradley's took over the "go to " fish shop. It's still pretty good but we now use what used to be The Saxon pub on the left as you go into the outskirts of Hartlepool. Excellent fish and chips.
As already mentioned Ambleside fish shop near Byron Terrace in Seaham is very good.
Having mentioned the caravan (and i'm sure others are experiencing the same) Park Resorts are not refunding any of our pitch fees (near £5000 grand for the year) but i suppose we're contributing to keeping people in work.

Not the ones ive just had from Clayton St Chippy. Specifically asked for cod and it tasted of nothing. It’ll have been ‘Fish & Chips‘ no doubt ergo Pangasius. Useless, robbing mag bastards.
You are probably right. Only ever had food from there in the early hours of the morning when it has tasted alright. New owners recently I think n
Well we've had a static caravan down at sunny Crimdon for a lot of years now and Bradley's in Blackhall Rocks was always the "go to " fish shop (think they may have been related to the Bradley's of Peterlee motor dealer's?) Then Cod on the Rocks, just a few yards down from Bradley's took over the "go to " fish shop. It's still pretty good but we now use what used to be The Saxon pub on the left as you go into the outskirts of Hartlepool. Excellent fish and chips.
As already mentioned Ambleside fish shop near Byron Terrace in Seaham is very good.
Having mentioned the caravan (and i'm sure others are experiencing the same) Park Resorts are not refunding any of our pitch fees (near £5000 grand for the year) but i suppose we're contributing to keeping people in work.
Ambleside , when John Smith owned it was one of the first fish and chip shops I ever supplied. He was a great bloke as well and got me a lot of business so it will always be one of my favourites.

Last edited:
You are probably right. Only ever had food from there in the early hours of the morning when it has tasted alright. New owners recently I think n

Ambleside , when John Smith owned it was one of the first fish and chip shops I ever supplied. He was a great bloke as well and got me a lot of business so it will always be one of my favourites.
Aye it was. Fancied fish and chips and that was the only place open. Won’t bother again.

You'll mean the one on durham road then.

It's a long time since i lived there, but i used to go to the one in the estate. I often got an extra fish chucked in for free if Sadie was serving, as she was a mate of me Grandma.

Joe Bolton would get his pie and chips from there too

York Road have new owners now and I hear they’ve gone downhill since, which is a shame, their portions weren’t always big but the quality more than made up for it.

Low's in Westhill (Aberdeen) are my local - the fish is usually decent but chips can be inconsistent.

I do recall having a really good haddock and chips from a place in Bridlington about 10 years ago - Ward's according to Google Maps (it must've been good given that I went to the bother of looking it up).

I also had an exceptionally good cod and chips in a restaurant near Oporto - their fishermen had to go all the way to the North Sea to catch it, apparently.
I remember about 15 year ago having some fantastic fish and chips from a little place in Bridlington opposite the theatre on the prom
They were beautiful and fish was moist

Fish pattie in Sunderland is mash tatey with fish I think. I’ve never hade one.

we call them fishcakes. get them in supermarkets. frozen.

when youre out and about, when this shitstorm lifts. try The Waterfront Cafe on North Shields fishquay. Youll have to queue to get in but its absolute quality.

Mind I've found a few good chippies down here on the East coast of Kent over the last couple of years. Fresh (above all!) local fish with local tatties and chippies who takes care with the oil or fat that they are using. The seafront chippies can be a bit naff as the passing day trippers can be fobbed off with any old rubbish but if you go just a few hundred yards in to the town you can find a place that takes much more care with what they are serving up.

My special treat when I was a kid was being taken in to a Fish and Chip restaurant. One where they have waitresses in uniforms tablecloths and bread and butter and hot scalding tea in pots. The best of these were to be found in Whitby of course and Keswick of all places.

Last edited:
Mind I've found a few good chippies down here on the East coast of Kent over the last couple of years. Fresh (above all!) local fish with local tatties and chippies who takes care with the oil or fat that they are using. The seafront chippies can be a bit naff as the passing day trippers can be fobbed off with any old rubbish but if you go just a few hundred yards in to the town you can find a place that takes much more care with what they are serving up.

My special treat when I was a kid was being taken in to a Fish and Chip restaurant. One where they have waitresses in uniforms tablecloths and bread and butter and hot scalding tea in pots. The best of these were to be found in Whitby of course and Keswick of all places.
Canterbury/Whitstable way?

Sounds like you have been slipped a bit of pollock. It tastes fine if it is really fresh - like a couple of hours old but after a day or so it tastes like wet newspaper.
Canterbury/Whitstable way?
More Dover and Deal side

Back