Best fish & chips you've had?

Mind I've found a few good chippies down here on the East coast of Kent over the last couple of years. Fresh (above all!) local fish with local tatties and chippies who takes care with the oil or fat that they are using. The seafront chippies can be a bit naff as the passing day trippers can be fobbed off with any old rubbish but if you go just a few hundred yards in to the town you can find a place that takes much more care with what they are serving up.

My special treat when I was a kid was being taken in to a Fish and Chip restaurant. One where they have waitresses in uniforms tablecloths and bread and butter and hot scalding tea in pots. The best of these were to be found in Whitby of course and Keswick of all places.
Which ones in East Kent?
I have 3 full vans of fish going down there as we speak.
Canterbury/Whitstable way?
Canterbury is for the taking with a good shop- no good ones. Whitstable has a really old one , VC Jones, and they fry in beef dripping.

Last edited:
Which ones in East Kent?

Canterbury is for the taking with a good shop- no good ones. Whitstable has a really old one , VC Jones, and they fry in beef dripping.
The best ones in Deal are Middle Street the Blue Mermaid and Mario's . Also has a very good wet fish shop called Jenkins and Son. If you like a pint with your grub the Coastguard at St Margarets Bay do a canny fish 'n chips (but as its below the cliff face and opposite France your mobile will switch to a French signal). The boats on the front at Deal do herring and mackerel by the ton in the summer as you might expect.
I shall make a point of looking out for VC Jones in Whitstable. I normally go for the oysters when I am there.

Canterbury is hard though with it being a mix of pedestrian/tourist in the centre.
I always chuckle that Canterbury Hospital have a renal unit called the Thomas Becket Renal Unit. I always thought that a Thomas Becket unit dealing with head injuries would have been more appropriate.

Canterbury is hard though with it being a mix of pedestrian/tourist in the centre.
thats right- difficult to work out your target market- A mate who is a fish merchant invested a couple of hundred of thousand in a chip shop there and put the keys back through the door after a year. it took next to no money during the day, and at night there was not a soul around.

Round here some other notable mentions:
Green Lane - old bloke had a wavering hand with the lasses behind the counter when i was in :)
Beamish - Cant beat having dripping coated fingers
Amble - Quayside chippy
Keswick - Old Keswickian
Scarborough - Papa's

Bit further afield
Padstow - Rick Stein
Glastonbury - Knights

thats right- difficult to work out your target market- A mate who is a fish merchant invested a couple of hundred of thousand in a chip shop there and put the keys back through the door after a year. it took next to no money during the day, and at night there was not a soul around.
Can imagine. Need a place you can drive to and park near.

Peary's down Hylton Road used to be brilliant but long gone now.

There was one in Kirkbymoorside that was fantastic but probably 15 years since I was there so don't know if it's the same now.

Have to give a mention to Croziers and The Hut.

The best ones in Deal are Middle Street the Blue Mermaid and Mario's . Also has a very good wet fish shop called Jenkins and Son. If you like a pint with your grub the Coastguard at St Margarets Bay do a canny fish 'n chips (but as its below the cliff face and opposite France your mobile will switch to a French signal). The boats on the front at Deal do herring and mackerel by the ton in the summer as you might expect.
I shall make a point of looking out for VC Jones in Whitstable. I normally go for the oysters when I am there.
Farage will be foaming

Agree with the poster who says it must be eaten by the sea with lashing of sore finger on. Preferably in a drafty shelter that smells of stale piss and disappointment.

Which ones in East Kent?

It's a few years since I've been to Whitstable but that VC Jones was quality. I also used to rate the Park Road Fish Bar in Hythe. Often my first stop out of the euro tunnel.

Agree with the poster who says it must be eaten by the sea with lashing of sore finger on. Preferably in a drafty shelter that smells of stale piss and disappointment.
No no .. I like many had loads of happy days sitting in "tent city" in sunny Seaburn on hot summer days eating fish n'chips with bread and butter Mam had brought from home. You could even get your tea pot filled with hot water and have a nice cuppa with them. Then with your skin tingling with sun and salt and sand in your socks you waited opposite Seaburn Rec for the 18 back to Southwick Green . The Council's radio van would would park up by the weather shelter and call in to HQ to report on the size of the queues and bring in reserve buses for the routes that were overloaded.

It's a well known fact that during the summer time rain was unknown in Sunderland throughout the 1950's

Back