Berlin

Another vote for a walking tour we had a great Irish lad a few years ago when we went

Be careful for thieves. When we were heading to the airport on the train was some pretty shifty types and they knicked a couple of cases from the central area - I saw them and kept my case next to me

Futurium is a good, free, museum right next to the train station. Worth a look in since you're nearby. You don't find many free museums in Germany. Everything is in English too.

The cafe is quite nice as well and there's a robot that goes around collecting used plates (I'm not taking the piss).

Excellent city. So much to do. It's a city you can wander around. I recommend going to see Checkpoint Charlie. There's the Panorama museum which shows you what the wall was like. The Black Box museum and the Checkpoint Charlie museum all in the one area.

Honestly, there's too much to see and do!

I enjoyed the soviet memorial and the German tax office which is one of very few nazi architectural buildings still standing in Berlin. T’was the Luftwaffe HQ.

Friedrichstrasse station and the museum is canny. Loved museum island the TV tower and around checkpoint Charlie. The wall museum and Bernauer Straße.

Nights out in and around Alexanderplatz are good then up West Berlin for a night out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going the end of this month, main plan is to have a kebab each day and find out which ones the best.
Belting local kebab shop just off alexanderplatz if you’re anywhere near there. Been loads of times. Cannot remember the name but if you’re staying near there I’ll find it

Doner mit alles 😍

Curry36 for a Currywürst as well.

Also if you want to get into the dome at the Reichstag, you need to pre-book online and need ID, at least that was the crack for me last time.

Last edited:
Belting local kebab shop just off alexanderplatz if you’re anywhere near there. Been loads of times. Cannot remember the name but if you’re staying near there I’ll find it

Doner mit alles 😍
Loads on google that look absolute delightful.
Curry36 for a Currywürst as well.

Also I'd you want to get into the dome at the Reichstag, you need to pre-book online and need ID, at least that was the crack for me last time.
Ill be hammering them aswell, love the stuff.

If you're going out to the Stadium see if there's anything on at Waldbuhne that you can go and watch. Amazing outdoor venue - was a bucket list to see Pearl Jam there and did it a few years ago
Walbuhne

Make sure you have a walk along the East Side Gallery. It's a fair stretch of the wall still standing that is now covered in art.

Topography of Terror is a must visit. Haunting though some of the stuff you read about.

Berliner Dom (Berlin Cathedral) is good to take in views of the City. Only 7 euro entry. 360 degree views from the top where you can walk all around the dome.

Off there in the Summer with the misses for 3 nights, staying right by the main train station so very central. Fancying a walking tour then the train out to the Olympic stadium. Anyone been, must do's/don'ts please.
I was there for half a day only. Planned a walking tour taking of the sights I wanted to see, but came outside the hotel and saw an electric rental scooter, so I jumped on that and I'd done the lot in an hour.

If what I saw, the Jewish memorial was very moving and the big park (Grunwald?) is a nice place for a long walk (scoot) with lots of statues and water features. Brandenburg gate and Reichstag were fairly impressive buildings.

Checkpoint Charlie was wank and full of daft yanks so couldn't even get a decent photo. There was a big tethered hot air balloon nearby that would give a good aerial view if the city, but I didn't bother.

I reckon the trabant tour of the city would be good crack too, but another thing I didn't have time for. There's tons of history everywhere you look - some of the most interesting stuff was just in little installations I saw in random places just walking about.

One of my favourite cities in Europe

Excellent public transport, relatively cheap for a European capital and lots to see and do. Only downside is that the city is really spread out so you need to do some planning. Not somewhere you can just wander around. Definitely do a free walking tour on your first day to help get your bearings.

Very impressive how they handle the darker sides of their history with sensitivity. The only trash place is Checkpoint Charlie which is a tourist trap next to a huge McDonalds - which tells you all you need to know about which side won the Cold War.

Amazing place. Mauerpark and around there on the Sunday is great. Some great vintage coffee places and bars in East Berlin. Watched Moderat at Waldbuhne, cracking venue.

I find it's too spread out, I'm not a fan of its architecture and the food is pretty ordinary. Gets a lot of praise though so obviously just not my cuppa scad.

Back