Being Overpaid by Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to advice on here, I should have had the foresight to keep an eye on my earnings and then informed Inland Revenue that I was likely to go over the higher tax threshold.
I could be under/over paying. Wouldn't have a clue.
I inform HMRC what tax I should be paying and eventually they send you a revised tax code because I am unfortunate enough to pay the Scottish income tax rates so get overpaid until I put them straight. This will continue unless they reduce the rates to comply with the rest of the UK which of course they wont. February 6th is the Scottish budget so they can emphasize how far behind their economic efficiency has fallen behind the rest of the UK by making the residents in Scotland pay more tax percentage wise than the rest of the UK. I am only being overpaid until the Scottish taxes are applied which then converts to daylight robbery. TBF at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Hope you enjoy your "free" prescriptions. :lol: ;)

Last edited:

I could be under/over paying. Wouldn't have a clue.

Hope you enjoy your "free" prescriptions. :lol: ;)
That's a plus as well as a bus pass although at 66 that might be the case south of the border anyway. Free eye test and dental checkup are plusses mind, even if the specs and treatment are not.

This just happened to me so I rang up to inform them about it. Bloke on the phone seemed genuinely shocked and praised my honesty. I was a bit surprised by his shocked reaction; surely anyone would come forward about something like this, right?

I was overpaid one month's wage about 20 yor ago.

HR / payroll contacted me after I'd left the company to ask for it back.

I told them it was the first I'd heard of it and so couldn't afford to pay it back straight away.

I never heard from them again 😁

I started a new job and had only been at the company for 2 weeks, they paid me for the full month. Tell no one.
A bloke at our place started mid month. The boss told him he was too late to get paid that month but hed get six weeks wages the following month to make up for it

Eighteen months later he was still getting six weeks wages every month

👍

They told him it was their fck up and that was the end of it

I bought a dell computer on Chucky years ago when I first started out £1200 for a desktop. They never took a penny from me.
I bought a brand new car and they weren’t taking payments. The ex insisted we tr setup the DD as she didn’t want to get stung later. She didn’t understand the concept of putting it in an ISA til they asked for it :rolleyes:
I’m overpaid every week :lol: ‘31 miles’ when it’s only 20. Thank you very much. Worth a few K over the year.
That’s some expensive mileage

Last edited:
Not many seeming to realise on here that under current law keeping money you know to have been paid in error is theft.
At the risk of being pedantic is it not fraud rather than theft?

A lad at a place I used to work at was being messed around by payroll so wasn't going to be paid in the first 6 weeks he was at the company. We loaned him for £2/3k which he would pay back when he got paid so he wouldn't miss mortgage payments etc. When I left 6 months later he had repaid £100 :lol: He had his cards marked.

After I was made redundant from Homeworthy, a couple of weeks wages went in my account. A couple of months later, my weekly wage went in for three weeks on the trot. Said fuck all and spent it. Never heard from them about it.

Talking about overpayments. The company I work for does work for a well known beer maker. They have more money than sense. This particular job came to something like £975 but the beer company thought that was the price per unit and gave us a purchase order just shy of £1 million. They didn’t think to check, just handed it over. obviously got far too much money.

Its happened to me a couple of times, I always get in touch to let them know and sort it out cause I'm not a degenerate

At the risk of being pedantic is it not fraud rather than theft?

A lad at a place I used to work at was being messed around by payroll so wasn't going to be paid in the first 6 weeks he was at the company. We loaned him for £2/3k which he would pay back when he got paid so he wouldn't miss mortgage payments etc. When I left 6 months later he had repaid £100 :lol: He had his cards marked.
No it’s not really a grey area it’s theft under section 24A of the 1968 Theft Act as amended in 1996. If you blatantly go ahead and spend what you clearly knew was mistakenly paid and it’s a large amount in theory you could get up to 10 years.
What you’re describing doesn’t look like the same thing though as it wasn’t paid by mistake, that’s simple non-repayment of a debt.

After I was made redundant from Homeworthy, a couple of weeks wages went in my account. A couple of months later, my weekly wage went in for three weeks on the trot. Said fuck all and spent it. Never heard from them about it.

Sometimes after you leave somewhere you also get paid up any untaken holidays, so the first payment might have been that.

It's happened to me and I kept it, think it was a few hundred.
Mind they've done me over a few times over bonuses so I thought it was karma.

Sometimes after you leave somewhere you also get paid up any untaken holidays, so the first payment might have been that.
Nah, that was all lumped in with my redundancy. They weren’t very good in the payroll dept. Used to work factory shutdown most years so when you did take your holidays they would pay you your holiday pay, then you’d get paid again while you were off!

I once accidently claimed twice for the same travel expenses - when I realised I phoned them to ask how I went about repaying the second lot of payments - it was only £100 or so - it was a right fuck on, they had no idea how it could be done, I ended up having to complain to the Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back