Being Left Handed

I'm left handed but very ambidextrous. However, my right hand is my dominant hand. I use a computer mouse with my right hand, i'd punch someone right handed, shake their hand right handed etc. I drink with my right hand but if i was chopping veg I'd use my left hand to hold the knife. The only thing I really use my left hand for is writing and my handwriting is god awful.

Lots of people mentioning that they shake hands right-handed.

Which hand you use to shake hands has nothing to do with whether you are right- or left-handed - It dates back centuries and shows you come in peace. Probably from when it was a recognised norm that most people were right-handed and held their weapons with that hand.

Same when soldiers salute - they're showing that their right hand is empty of weapons.

It's also linked to why we (and some other countries) drive on the left. You pass people coming in the opposite direction on the right making it easier to defend yourself (or attack, I suppose) using the (mostly) dominant right hand.

Left-handed handshakes can often be construed as an insult in some cultures.

How do lefties get on in the armed forces? Must be murder trying to fit in with righties doing drill, etc.
Right shoulder arms would totally do my head, my natural instinct would be to put the rifle to my left. I suppose the army would knock that out of you 🤷
I find left handed blokes are always a bit ‘sweet’.
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Afternoon all,

couple of comments the last couple of weeks from work mates and friends about me being left handed and my character.
Is it really a thing or is it a stereotype?

Lad today pointed out the few people he could think of (inc me) and used them as an example of how their brains are wired up differently, in a flawed genius type of way.

Has anyother left handed people had this type of conversation? does any of the right handed folk notice a pattern with left handed people ? What does the science say ?
Lefties are best.
Didn't complain last night.

Back